Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Headforpoints.com commentary [split off from OMAAT]

Headforpoints.com commentary [split off from OMAAT]

Old Mar 12, 19, 6:25 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London, UK
Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Posts: 642
Headforpoints.com commentary [split off from OMAAT]

Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
Trust me from my own experience. Readers are not stupid and readers know a bad deal when they see one. I can pretty well predict what sort of traction an offer will get when I write about it. I also know that trying to promote stuff which I know is rubbish and, more importantly, that the readers will know is rubbish is pointless - you don't get any conversions anyway and the readers stop trusting you so you get a poorer response when the next genuinely good deal comes along.
Tesco cc <cough>
fartoomanyusers is offline  
Old Mar 13, 19, 2:59 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Surrey
Programs: BA Silver, Eurostar Carte Blanche, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Posts: 252
Originally Posted by Raffles View Post

Trust me from my own experience. Readers are not stupid and readers know a bad deal when they see one. I can pretty well predict what sort of traction an offer will get when I write about it. I also know that trying to promote stuff which I know is rubbish and, more importantly, that the readers will know is rubbish is pointless - you don't get any conversions anyway and the readers stop trusting you so you get a poorer response when the next genuinely good deal comes along.
Originally Posted by fartoomanyusers View Post
Tesco cc <cough>
Monese <cough>
s1362083 is offline  
Old Mar 13, 19, 7:02 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: London
Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Posts: 25,570
Originally Posted by s1362083 View Post
Monese <cough>
Monese was a sponsored article and clearly marked as such right at the top!
Raffles is offline  
Old Mar 13, 19, 7:22 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Surrey
Programs: BA Silver, Eurostar Carte Blanche, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Posts: 252
Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
Monese was a sponsored article and clearly marked as such right at the top!
I'm sure you're not suggesting that you would publish stuff which you know is rubbish and leads to readers stopping trusting you just because someone is paying you for it.
s1362083 is offline  
Old Mar 14, 19, 1:38 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: London
Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Posts: 25,570
Originally Posted by s1362083 View Post
I'm sure you're not suggesting that you would publish stuff which you know is rubbish and leads to readers stopping trusting you just because someone is paying you for it.
But this one proves my point.

A quick Google search will show that Monese pays publishers 16 per sign up to its free account. I could have made a few quid writing about its new Avios partnership and saying it was great - but I deliberately chose not to.

Monese then decided it wanted to reach our readers and chose a sponsored article, clearly flagged as such, over banner ads. We only get a flat fee from that. This allowed a good debate in the comments about the pros and cons of Monese vs other challenger banks.

If you think I’m stupid enough to risk the good reputation we have built up over 7 years for the sake of a few quid then you’re wrong.

I also bet that, if Monese does what it has implied and starts awarding Avios on debit card spend soon, you will be rushing to sign up .....
Raffles is offline  
Old Mar 14, 19, 11:14 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: All over
Programs: Most
Posts: 10,835
Originally Posted by s1362083 View Post
I'm sure you're not suggesting that you would publish stuff which you know is rubbish and leads to readers stopping trusting you just because someone is paying you for it.
What wouldn't someone headless do for a pound or two?
holtju2 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread