Reload this Page >

Headforpoints.com commentary [split off from OMAAT]

Old Mar 12, 19, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC

Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
Trust me from my own experience. Readers are not stupid and readers know a bad deal when they see one. I can pretty well predict what sort of traction an offer will get when I write about it. I also know that trying to promote stuff which I know is rubbish and, more importantly, that the readers will know is rubbish is pointless - you don't get any conversions anyway and the readers stop trusting you so you get a poorer response when the next genuinely good deal comes along.
Tesco cc <cough>
Old Mar 13, 19, 2:59 am

Programs: BA Silver, Eurostar Carte Blanche, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver

Trust me from my own experience. Readers are not stupid and readers know a bad deal when they see one. I can pretty well predict what sort of traction an offer will get when I write about it. I also know that trying to promote stuff which I know is rubbish and, more importantly, that the readers will know is rubbish is pointless - you don't get any conversions anyway and the readers stop trusting you so you get a poorer response when the next genuinely good deal comes along.
Originally Posted by fartoomanyusers View Post
Tesco cc <cough>
Monese <cough>
Old Mar 13, 19, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by s1362083 View Post
Monese <cough>
Monese was a sponsored article and clearly marked as such right at the top!
Old Mar 13, 19, 7:22 am

Programs: BA Silver, Eurostar Carte Blanche, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Monese was a sponsored article and clearly marked as such right at the top!
I'm sure you're not suggesting that you would publish stuff which you know is rubbish and leads to readers stopping trusting you just because someone is paying you for it.
Old Mar 14, 19, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
I'm sure you're not suggesting that you would publish stuff which you know is rubbish and leads to readers stopping trusting you just because someone is paying you for it.
But this one proves my point.

A quick Google search will show that Monese pays publishers 16 per sign up to its free account. I could have made a few quid writing about its new Avios partnership and saying it was great - but I deliberately chose not to.

Monese then decided it wanted to reach our readers and chose a sponsored article, clearly flagged as such, over banner ads. We only get a flat fee from that. This allowed a good debate in the comments about the pros and cons of Monese vs other challenger banks.

If you think I’m stupid enough to risk the good reputation we have built up over 7 years for the sake of a few quid then you’re wrong.

I also bet that, if Monese does what it has implied and starts awarding Avios on debit card spend soon, you will be rushing to sign up .....
Old Mar 14, 19, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
What wouldn't someone headless do for a pound or two?

Search this Thread