FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   External Miles and Points Resources (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources-723/)
-   -   Headforpoints.com commentary [merged] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources/1960667-headforpoints-com-commentary-merged.html)

fartoomanyusers Mar 12, 2019 6:25 am

Headforpoints.com commentary [merged]

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 30876534)
Trust me from my own experience. Readers are not stupid and readers know a bad deal when they see one. I can pretty well predict what sort of traction an offer will get when I write about it. I also know that trying to promote stuff which I know is rubbish and, more importantly, that the readers will know is rubbish is pointless - you don't get any conversions anyway and the readers stop trusting you so you get a poorer response when the next genuinely good deal comes along.

Tesco cc <cough>

s1362083 Mar 13, 2019 2:59 am

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 30876534)

Trust me from my own experience. Readers are not stupid and readers know a bad deal when they see one. I can pretty well predict what sort of traction an offer will get when I write about it. I also know that trying to promote stuff which I know is rubbish and, more importantly, that the readers will know is rubbish is pointless - you don't get any conversions anyway and the readers stop trusting you so you get a poorer response when the next genuinely good deal comes along.

Originally Posted by fartoomanyusers (Post 30876716)
Tesco cc <cough>

Monese <cough>

Raffles Mar 13, 2019 7:02 am

Originally Posted by s1362083 (Post 30880810)
Monese <cough>

Monese was a sponsored article and clearly marked as such right at the top!

s1362083 Mar 13, 2019 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 30881319)
Monese was a sponsored article and clearly marked as such right at the top!

I'm sure you're not suggesting that you would publish stuff which you know is rubbish and leads to readers stopping trusting you just because someone is paying you for it.

Raffles Mar 14, 2019 1:38 am

Originally Posted by s1362083 (Post 30881385)
I'm sure you're not suggesting that you would publish stuff which you know is rubbish and leads to readers stopping trusting you just because someone is paying you for it.

But this one proves my point.

A quick Google search will show that Monese pays publishers £16 per sign up to its free account. I could have made a few quid writing about its new Avios partnership and saying it was great - but I deliberately chose not to.

Monese then decided it wanted to reach our readers and chose a sponsored article, clearly flagged as such, over banner ads. We only get a flat fee from that. This allowed a good debate in the comments about the pros and cons of Monese vs other challenger banks.

If you think I’m stupid enough to risk the good reputation we have built up over 7 years for the sake of a few quid then you’re wrong.

I also bet that, if Monese does what it has implied and starts awarding Avios on debit card spend soon, you will be rushing to sign up .....

holtju2 Mar 14, 2019 11:14 am

Originally Posted by s1362083 (Post 30881385)

What wouldn't someone headless do for a pound or two?

GUWonder Jan 10, 2020 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 31933623)
Most of us have bigger readerships via email than we have in terms of page views. It is also totally separate - most of my email readers never visit the site. We email our stuff very early morning and it is required reading on the rail commute into London!

Do you track if the emails are opened and read?

Raffles Jan 11, 2020 9:43 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 31933706)
Do you track if the emails are opened and read?

Yes. 55% open rate.

But if you agree to accept 3 articles a day from HFP (we send 21 per week, each article separately) then you are keen and seriously want to read it.

Raffles Jan 11, 2020 9:46 am

Originally Posted by diburning (Post 31935789)
MailChimp seems like a good idea from the sender's view, but it's a nightmare on the recipient's end. I've used MailChimp as both a sender and a recipient.

Eventually MailChimp does crack down because they want to keep their mail servers off the public spam blocklists (like Spamhaus). I think Lucky's problem was that either he/his team either didn't spend enough time (if any at all) purging emails when people unsubscribe. You know how when you unsubscribe from an email list, they give you some absurd "Please allow 7-10 days to take effect" message? That is basically a courtesy request for time for the webmaster/list manager to purge your email from the list manually.

This makes no sense. We have 15,000 people on our list. I doubt I get one request per year directly to remove someone - the other 99.9% unsubscribe themselves. The 'Unsubscribe' is clear on every email, as per MailChimp requirements.

What is more likely is that Ben's emails ended up being sent from a server used by a spammer who was closed down and Ben was caught in the crossfire. Hard to believe they'd close him down given that MailChimp can clearly see he has been operating trouble-free for years.

diburning Jan 11, 2020 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 31937156)
I doubt I get one request per year directly to remove someone - the other 99.9% unsubscribe themselves.

It really depends on how the email list back end is set up. For the short period of time that I used MailChimp for a small nonprofit, we didn't have an automated remove feature (I had a link that generated a web page that said unsubscribe successful, and then on the back end, an email was generated and sent to me informing me of such, and I'd have to manually go in and scrub. It was just a monthly newsletter so I didn't automate anything, I mainly used MailChimp for statistics)

I'd imagine that you and others with a large web presence such as Lucky would have an automated system in place to allow people to unsubscribe themselves (where the system would automatically scrub their email address from the list). But the key point here is the assumption that it works. If there's any sort of error where the recipient isn't successfully unsubscribed, or the unsubscribe link is deceptive in where it only unsubscribes from one type of email but not others, MailChimp doesn't care, you're now a spammer in their eyes.

DYKWIA Jan 13, 2020 5:02 am

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 31937147)
Yes. 55% open rate.

Interesting... I wondered how this could be calculated, and just found the answer on the MailChimp site. :)

With HFP, I tend to read the headline, and then if there's anything that interests me, I'll read the rest.

So, I probably fully read about 50% of the emails.

GUWonder Jan 13, 2020 9:21 am

DYKWIA, this is why image blocking and other privacy-enhancing measures are taken by some internet users. But most miles and points forum readers don’t do a whole lot to help themselves on that as much as they try to help themselves with the miles and points game.

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 31937147)
Yes. 55% open rate.

But if you agree to accept 3 articles a day from HFP (we send 21 per week, each article separately) then you are keen and seriously want to read it.

Do they also supply you information on the IP addresses from where those emails are opened? I would have to assume they could have a good idea of where the “readership” is. Do they tell you that too?

I would assume that your readership (and the value gotten from that) is less heavily dependent upon US users than OMAAT.

Raffles Jan 14, 2020 3:43 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 31944715)
DYKWIA, this is why image blocking and other privacy-enhancing measures are taken by some internet users. But most miles and points forum readers don’t do a whole lot to help themselves on that as much as they try to help themselves with the miles and points game.

Do they also supply you information on the IP addresses from where those emails are opened? I would have to assume they could have a good idea of where the “readership” is. Do they tell you that too?

I would assume that your readership (and the value gotten from that) is less heavily dependent upon US users than OMAAT.

I have the location data but it is based on where the initial sign-up was done from rather than where any particular email was read. Annoyingly it isn't aggregated anywhere (I think) so I don't actually know what the split is overall. Website traffic is 80% UK, 10% US and dribs and drabs from elsewhere. You also see what device emails are usually read on, click through rates and indeed exactly which emails a person opened. Not that I spend a single second actually looking at any of this info!

oliver2002 Jan 14, 2020 4:59 am

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 31948011)
Not that I spend a single second actually looking at any of this info!

Thats kind of stupid though... knowing the demographics of each of your channels is pure gold in terms of positioning yourself to advertisers. Usually the 'sign up for our newsletter and get everything in you mailbox' is a data gathering excercise by blogs and groups.

GUWonder Jan 14, 2020 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 31948011)
I have the location data but it is based on where the initial sign-up was done from rather than where any particular email was read. Annoyingly it isn't aggregated anywhere (I think) so I don't actually know what the split is overall. Website traffic is 80% UK, 10% US and dribs and drabs from elsewhere. You also see what device emails are usually read on, click through rates and indeed exactly which emails a person opened. Not that I spend a single second actually looking at any of this info!

When you’re not much of a stalker, it doesn’t surprise me that you wouldn’t spend a single second drilling down like that (even as there may be some juicy nuggets in there, maybe even some gold). The same can’t be said about other online parts of the miles and points world, parts where the stalker mentality is more deeply engrained and used against one or more audience members whether or not there is a cash cow in the rough still left. :eek: