Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

How to accumulate points to credit card

Old May 20, 18, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: several

I really do not know how to accumulate so many points within a short period and if it takes like 3-5 years just to accumulate points then there is no point doing it. as a stay home person due to disability. My problem is, It is very difficult to spend $10,000-50,000 within a 3 month period on several (5-6) credit cards to get the points which is their requirements. where or how then can I get the money (no pun intended) to spend to get the points? As a stay home person it is hard to find cash lying around to spend. I know it is hard to ask people. haha.. any advise? There must be an easier way. I see blogs on people not working having 1,000,000- 5,000,000+ of miles easily within a short time of like 1-2 years or even months. How??
Old May 20, 18, 8:20 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Ignore the flashier points & miles blogs that portray the idea that everyone can easily meet numerous simultaneous high minimum spend requirements. Those bloggers only care about readers getting approved because that's how they get paid for the affiliate link - what happens after card approval is meaningless to the blogger. (Not all of the miles bloggers are like that but some are).

There are ways of accelerating meeting minimum spend requirements if your normal daily spend isn't enough, but some can be time consuming and it's not necessary for you to worry about those if you don't want to. And you don't have to shoot for a million miles in a couple of months, or anywhere close to that.

The first step is to know what your travel goals are. Would you be traveling with another person (or people) or solo? What destinations are you interested in visiting?

There is a thread in the Information Desk forum about what frequent flyer program would be best. Your post probably would fit better in the Information Desk forum so I'll alert a mod to consider moving it there.
sbm12, kokonutz and obscure2k like this.
Old May 21, 18, 8:24 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
You might check out the FlyerTalk manufactured spending forum, but caveat emptor in there, too. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manu...-spending-719/
Old May 21, 18, 9:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
attend: 9th Annual Chicago Seminars - October 19 - 21, 2018
wharvey likes this.

Last edited by Renes Points; May 22, 18 at 12:33 pm
Old May 30, 18, 9:02 am

Good points above about not getting in over your head when just starting out. The easiest way to get a bunch of points with little effort is with credit card sign up bonuses. Before signing up for a card it helps to know what you are going to use all those points and miles for. Do you travel domestically? Want to go on an international trip? How fancy/comfortable to you want to travel? Knowing the answers to these questions will point you to the path you need to follow.
Old May 30, 18, 12:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Joe758 View Post
Before signing up for a card it helps to know what you are going to use all those points and miles for.
Even more than that I'd say it is important to know how you're going to hit the minimum spend without being stupid about it.
84fiero and Joe758 like this.

Search this Thread