SkyTeam MegaDo Oct 11-17, 2018 SEA-AMS-PRG-PMI-BCN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SkyTeam MegaDo Oct 11-17, 2018 SEA-AMS-PRG-PMI-BCN

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2018, 8:07 am
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by bcrdukes
No bueno for me.

Seemed very attractive at first, as most of the cities were in my travel list for 2018. But after seeing the costs, upon more costs, I lost interest.
Business class for $1799 is unattractive?
Old May 4, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta Skymiles, SPG
Originally Posted by t1c
AMS-PRG-PMI-BCN in business is not all that attractive to me. In my very own opinion, I do not see value in this.

If it were $1799 from let's say NYC to AMS for the TALT flight, then sign me up, but that is not the case.
Old May 4, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Is this event affiliated in any way with FT?
Old May 4, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by t1c
$1799 is the cost for the MegaDo flight in euro business class, not for the TATL to get you there and back.

To summarize, the costs for an average attendee would be:

$999 - to the MegaDo organizers to cover admission to all events and the charter flight AMS-PRG-PMI-BCN in Y. (Or $1199 for an exit row, or $1799 for eurobusiness.)
Various - to Marriott/SPG properties to stay in the host hotels, about ~160-180€/night. (Or you could choose your own alternatives.)
$550ish to $2700ish - round trip airfare from Seattle to Amsterdam/Paris on Delta or Air France, depending on class of service using the group rate. (Or you can book your own TATL on any airline you see fit, using miles if you like.)
Various - positioning to Seattle if you want to attend the Delta portion of the event.

i actually think the costs for each segment, while a little pricey, are reasonable for what you get - it’s pretty clear the organizers are roughly breaking even once you factor in charter flight costs. And past reports from *A DO attendees have been that the events are a total blast and worth the trip.

I do wish the Seattle events could be attended separately and that they could accommodate more folks rather than being capped at a 100-person subset of the entire European trip, though.
Cochiti, bcrdukes and Zorak like this.
Old May 4, 2018, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by BenA
I do wish the Seattle events could be attended separately and that they could accommodate more folks rather than being capped at a 100-person subset of the entire European trip, though.
this, exactly ... we have an international departure from SEA on 13 Oct
Old May 4, 2018, 10:23 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by davetravels
"Anyone else", implies that YOU are going. Are you?
Originally Posted by Zorak
​​​​​​
Nothing gets past you
Yes, I'm very smart. I went to all the best skoolz!

So, anyway . . .

It looks as though it's an all or nothing deal . . . You can't arrange your own transport to certain cities, and meet up with the group to do individual events.

I wonder if you could use the group airfare discount code, once it's published, to book the $340 RT airfare from NYC/AMS alone and NOT go to the DO? . . . . or what other surcharges would be added on?
Old May 4, 2018, 10:40 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by angra
I don't think there's any official relationship or sponsorship of that's what you're asking, but I'm not involved with the organizing so don't know for sure.

Originally Posted by davetravels
It looks as though it's an all or nothing deal . . . You can't arrange your own transport to certain cities, and meet up with the group to do individual events.
Whether you attend the SEA stuff or not you are making your own way to AMS and own way back from BCN. I suppose if you wanted to skip the charter flight and do AMS-BCN on your own maybe they'd work with you?
Old May 4, 2018, 11:20 am

Did anyone inquire about group J fare from SEA to AMS/CDG? If it's around $2700 round trip for AF J as someone mentioned earlier, it's a great deal.
Old May 4, 2018, 1:35 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

I'm tommy777 and I'm one of the organizers of the megado.

We typically host these events once a year with Star Alliance, we've done it since 2009 and hosted 8 Star MegaDo's

I've been a little reluctant to do a SkyTeam MegaDo as I am not a SkyTeam flyer, but was persuaded to do so last November after years of requests.

And this one is full of surprises, there's going to be a lot of fun.

The main event that goes on sale on Monday happens in Europe. There are optional events in Seattle which adds a lot of cost, especially when traveling in Business Class, but the main fair is in Europe. And the all in price for eco is $999

To get a better understanding of the dynamics of this event, it's not paying $999 for a plane ticket. That's the all in price for an event that starts on Sunday October 14th in Amsterdam and goes till Wednesday October 17th. All activities, meals, parties, transportation and the charter flight is included. Chartering buses alone is 11K Euros, we are hosting 3 evening parties, including 2 hangar parties, they all cost money to put on, so if you think 4 days of fun and 3 party flights all in is expensive at 250 dollars a day, that surprises me. Sure, you have to get there, you have to pay for hotels etc. But people are using miles, points, sharing rooms etc. to get costs down. You don't have to stay at the host hotels, you can use points. You don't have to fly the official flights, you can fly BA, Norwegian or whatever. Or you can use miles

And the MegaDo is not about visiting Amsterdam, Prague or Palma. It's about access to once in a lifetime experiences, airline CEOs, Marriott Rewards / SPGs management, behind the scenes stuff you can't do on your own. And you get to do it with a group of 152 fantastic people. Zach @ TPG summed last years event up perfectly. https://thepointsguy.com/2017/09/5-h...m-megado-2017/

The charter is the highlight of the trip. We decide our own catering, there is service and free drinks in all classes (of course)

And there will be many, unpublished surprises. From Marriott, from SkyTeam and their carriers.

Happy to answer any questions you might have. It's gonna be a hell of a time.
Raffles, Cochiti, bcrdukes and 3 others like this.
Old May 4, 2018, 1:40 pm

Deleted...

Last edited by tommy777; May 5, 2018 at 1:20 am
Old May 4, 2018, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by ucfjoe
I think it reasonably means the end of 19’ but it doesn’t me upgraded and IIRC doesn’t get lounge access unless on an intl ticket.
It's through next year
Old May 4, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Having done the oneworld MegaDo a few years ago, I would totally be up for this... except it's the same week as the one conference I more or less have to attend each year. To add insult to injury, I'll be stuck in Orlando :P

For those who don't know, the whole point of this is to get access to behind the scenes stuff and hang out with a bunch of travel geeks. If your goal is to visit Barcelona, Amsterdam, or Prague, or you're just going for the frequent flyer miles, this is not the trip for you.
Old May 4, 2018, 4:36 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by angra
This event is in no way affiliated with FlyerTalk.
Old May 4, 2018, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by tommy777
It's through next year
We know, it says that on the website, but the English (as opposed to American) translation of that phrase is vague :-)

In English English, 'through 2019' simply means any date between 1 January and 31 December!
tommy777 likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Bummer, I wish this thread hadn’t been moved - I found it of interest to DL forum members given that Delta is one of the sponsors of the Seattle portion of the event, and it would be a great opportunity to put faces to many of the names I’ve met here on FlyerTalk...
tommy777 and Renes Points like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.