FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   External Miles and Points Resources (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources-723/)
-   -   Blog focused on Southwest Airlines & Rapid Rewards Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources/1894312-blog-focused-southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-points.html)

GotoTravelGal Feb 16, 2018 2:55 pm

Blog focused on Southwest Airlines & Rapid Rewards Points

I just wanted to share my GotoTravelGal.com blog where I focus on all things Southwest Airlines, including how to earn the Southwest Companion Pass and how to fly free on the airline.
I always have the latest sales updated and report on the best flight deals from 30+ cities every Tuesday. If this post is not allowed, feel free to delete. Thanks!

Astrophsx Feb 16, 2018 11:17 pm

"free"

GotoTravelGal Feb 17, 2018 8:31 am

Of course there's always the $5.60 mandatory government security fee per way that you pay whether flying on points or not. And annual fees if you apply for certain credit cards. But other than that, free! Thanks.
Lyn

blueeagle3 Feb 17, 2018 2:37 pm

I just got an info about my Miles expiring to the end of February - is there any Idea on your Blog on how to extend them (for free)?

Thanks in Advance!

sbm12 Feb 17, 2018 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by GotoTravelGal (Post 29427339)
But other than that, free!

Points aren't free. If that's the line you're selling then time to start over and be honest with your readers.

GotoTravelGal Feb 17, 2018 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by blueeagle3 (Post 29428328)
I just got an info about my Miles expiring to the end of February - is there any Idea on your Blog on how to extend them (for free)?

Thanks in Advance!

Yes, definitely! An easy way to add some activity to your account at no additional cost is to participate in Southwest's eRewards program where you get points for filling out surveys (fill out 1 to generate some activity.

You can also start some online shopping you were going to do anyway in Southwest's Rapid Rewards Shopping portal. Right now you can get the Wall Street Journal in the portal for $1 and earn 700 points. Just remember to cancel it after the 2-month subscription so you don't end up paying the higher price.

Here is my post with some other ideas to keep your points from expiring.
Let me know if you have any questions!

GotoTravelGal Feb 17, 2018 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 29428666)
Points aren't free. If that's the line you're selling then time to start over and be honest with your readers.

There are definitely free ways to earn points!
These include starting online shopping you'd be doing anyway in the Rapid Rewards Shopping Portal, filling out surveys through their erewards program, booking a hotel you'd be booking anyway through SouthwestHotels.com, $1 for a 2-month subscription to the Wall Street Journal in the shopping portal gets you 700 points right now, people who live in certain states and use certain electric companies can earn Southwest points for paying their bill, everyday expenses put on a Southwest credit card and paying the balance each month, etc. Again, there is an annual fee for the Southwest credit cards so a small cost there, though you could also opt for Chase Sapphire Preferred (no annual fee the first year) get their 50,000 point sign-on bonus with every day spending and then continue every day spending on the card to earn points that transfer instantly to Southwest. Cancel after 12 months. A few examples...

Canarsie Feb 17, 2018 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by GotoTravelGal (Post 29428774)
These include starting online shopping you'd be doing anyway in the Rapid Rewards Shopping Portal, filling out surveys through their erewards program, booking a hotel you'd be booking anyway through SouthwestHotels.com, $1 for a 2-month subscription to the Wall Street Journal in the shopping portal gets you 700 points right now, people who live in certain states and use certain electric companies can earn Southwest points for paying their bill, everyday expenses put on a Southwest credit card and paying the balance each month, etc. Again, there is an annual fee for the Southwest credit cards so a small cost there, though you could also opt for Chase Sapphire Preferred (no annual fee the first year) get their 50,000 point sign-on bonus with every day spending and then continue every day spending on the card to earn points that transfer instantly to Southwest. Cancel after 12 months. A few examples...

None of those options to earn Rapid Rewards points are free...

...and even if they were truly free of charge with regards to finances, the opportunity costs must still be considered...

sbm12 Feb 17, 2018 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by GotoTravelGal (Post 29428774)
... A few examples...

I know all of those examples and plenty more. I'm not one of the rubes you're trying to fool on your site. None of them are free.

The electric bill option is one of my favorites to see recommended. Have you ever actually looked at what they do to your rates? You're better off paying the (relatively exorbitant) rates to just buy points direct from the program.

Booking hotels through a portal has costs related to alternate points or cash-back earning. So so the shopping portals. The time required for the surveys is far in excess of the occasional paltry sum of points received.

None of them are free.

nineworldseries Feb 20, 2018 8:54 am

Whoa, no, wait! I can get Southwest points by signing up for their credit card? Holy moly. Thanks for alerting all of us to this secret (and free) deal! Awesome!

oliver2002 Feb 27, 2018 5:49 am

The specific question about expiring points has been moved to the Southwest forum: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sout...pr-thread.html

Regards Oliver2002
Mod EM&PR