Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frugal Travel Guy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>little short for full time players, not those pretending to be newbies.

Says the guy who focused on "responsible" newbies lol.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 4:16 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by ingy
Back in the day that recommendation was made, a 7 card churn was actually a little short for full time players, not those pretending to be newbies. A typical churn was one biz and one personal from each of the major card issuers every 90 days for those that had the credit scores (which proved they were already responsible with their credit), were of legal age and played the game to the fullest.

I'd apply for 12 or more in a day if I could find that many I was eligible for these days, and so would the real hard core churners. Meeting the minimum spend is obviously not an issue for real players.

Newbies and blog critics, well, probably not.

Back in the day, "If you were applying for one, you were missing the fun!"
Sounds like folks had a blast getting rich while strangling the goose that laid the golden eggs for the rest of us....

And then you lament that you are not eligible for sign ups....yeah, that's the paradigm you got rich helping to create. Bad form to come and whine about it now...
Old Mar 4, 2018, 4:36 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Thought Leader Sounding Whiney?

You were around during the "good old days". Sounds like maybe you missed the "gettin' while the getting was good" Only one responsible for missing that opportunity was the "thought leader" himself.

BTW I'm still getting all the miles I need from card sign ups, and based on the success of the current crop of bloggers, they and their readers are as well.

Yawn

Last edited by ingy; Mar 4, 2018 at 4:44 pm Reason: add the Yawn
Old Mar 4, 2018, 8:09 pm

You were around during the "good old days". Sounds like maybe you missed the "gettin' while the getting was good" Only one responsible for missing that opportunity was the "thought leader" himself.

BTW I'm still getting all the miles I need from card sign ups, and based on the success of the current crop of bloggers, they and their readers are as well.

Yawn
Again, the audacity.

I and mine got our churn on. We never attempted to monetize it because the result of doing so was obvious and inevitable. You made plenty of dough helping to slit the throat of the 'good old days' of churning. Now we wait. And wait. One would hope you would have to class to keep quiet about it and count your money rather than whining about the world you got rich helping create.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 5:25 am

You Poor Thing

So let me see if I've got this right. A great opportunity exists because the banking world is too stupid and greedy to realize what they have done. So we are not supposed to share it with others? I thought that was what "community" was about? And in particular, once you and yours figured it out, that was absolutely supposed to be the end of promoting the terrific opportunity? Sounds a little selfish to me if you asked.

I'm thrilled thousands of people got in on the "game" and still play today under a new more restrictive set of rules. When the economy changes again and they need to generate more credit card spending, they'll loosen up again.

Sounds to me in reality your objection is not that the game changed, because as a "thought leader" I figure you could realize it was too good to be true, but that it was that some of us figured out how to monetize it.

It's called Capitalism

PS And why anyone would search to apply for one cash back card when they had a credit score to do so much more, when the getting was good, and the bloggers had laid out the requirements of success???? Well you just can't fix Stupid
Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:05 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
And why anyone would search to apply for one cash back card when they had a credit score to do so much more, when the getting was good, and the bloggers had laid out the requirements of success???? Well you just can't fix Stupid
I wouldn't have just applied for one either...but not everyone has the same goals, life situations, or perspective in life. That doesn't make them stupid it just makes them different. Some people may not have wanted or been able to do the MS that was often required to make the spend required for large quantity churns back in the day, particularly for folks without a lot of everyday expenses that could be charged. It could be because their jobs and family obligations don't leave them with the time or, more importantly, the energy to go through the hoops required...or it could be because they had more limited opportunities due to what was available to them. And some folks simply may not have been interested for other reasons. Different doesn't equate to stupid - that's an immature view of the world.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:28 am

Agree in general with your assessment of different strokes for different folks. My reply was tongue in cheek to a constant critic without the facts. In fact, I was against the Wallet since day 1 as it couldn’t account for people’s different and unique situations, but after 6 years of hearing I was an advocate, it felt about time to have a little fun.

But still, if an armored car has all its load fall out in the streets, as these banks did, its hard to imagine just picking up $5 bills when $100 bills were all over the place?

Sorry if I offended anyone

Last edited by ingy; Mar 5, 2018 at 1:17 pm
Old Mar 7, 2018, 5:31 pm

So let me see if I've got this right. A great opportunity exists because the banking world is too stupid and greedy to realize what they have done. So we are not supposed to share it with others? I thought that was what "community" was about? And in particular, once you and yours figured it out, that was absolutely supposed to be the end of promoting the terrific opportunity? Sounds a little selfish to me if you asked.

I'm thrilled thousands of people got in on the "game" and still play today under a new more restrictive set of rules. When the economy changes again and they need to generate more credit card spending, they'll loosen up again.

Sounds to me in reality your objection is not that the game changed, because as a "thought leader" I figure you could realize it was too good to be true, but that it was that some of us figured out how to monetize it.

It's called Capitalism

PS And why anyone would search to apply for one cash back card when they had a credit score to do so much more, when the getting was good, and the bloggers had laid out the requirements of success???? Well you just can't fix Stupid
You do not have this right.

My objection is simple: it's annoying to see you whine about the current state of cc bonuses when you got rich killing them.

Same as it would be to listen to a ceo who got rich strip-mining complain that his mountaintop views have been spoiled by all the strip-mining.

Get it now?
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:37 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Ingy: I was against the FTG Wallet!
Ingy: I kept getting paid while ignoring it.

Full load of manure.

He could have had a MUCH bigger basement if he had not sold so early, sad!
84fiero likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:05 am

Huh???

Originally Posted by kokonutz
You do not have this right.

My objection is simple: it's annoying to see you whine about the current state of cc bonuses when you got rich killing them.

Same as it would be to listen to a ceo who got rich strip-mining complain that his mountaintop views have been spoiled by all the strip-mining.

Get it now?
Who's Whining???? You want whining check out Travelbloggerbuzz blog. They specialize in whining about the big bad bloggers that ruined the hobby, Personally, I just finished minimum spends on another IHG card, Marrioitt Business, Citi Business AA and Alaska Business card.

It's You Thought Leader that does not have this right. Games Change. People need to change with them.

Last edited by ingy; Mar 8, 2018 at 6:13 am
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:37 am

Who's Whining????
ingy is whining:
I'd apply for 12 or more in a day if I could find that many I was eligible for these days, and so would the real hard core churners. Meeting the minimum spend is obviously not an issue for real players.
And condescending to boot.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:32 am

Ahem:

Originally Posted by kokonutz
ingy is whining:

And condescending to boot.

YAWN!!!
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:40 pm

YAWN!!!
I accept your concession of the point.

Next time try thinking before typing...
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:22 pm

My intern just told me my blog's Alexa rankings are down...No wonder since Ingy left, sad!
Old Jun 9, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Man, FTG puts out some awful gouge. They have a new article saying the SPG card will earn 3 pts/$ after August (it will be 2 pts/$) so that it'll still be good for everyday spend. Wonder how many people will be satisfied with their 2/3 of an airline mile per $.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.