Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frugal Travel Guy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by diburning
Why would airlines sign up with this (small, unknown) third party service instead of offering it themselves and cutting out the middleman?
I won't speak to the rest of the comments made, but there are reasons airlines push distressed inventory at below market rates through 3rd parties rather than direct. The opacity of that transaction helps protect the core brand.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
That makes sense actually.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Proper pluralization? Nah, we don't need copy editors. Just throw it up there.

Old Feb 18, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite

Somewhere out there, Carly's 1st grade teacher is weeping...
Old Feb 18, 2018, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Somewhere out there, Carly's 1st grade teacher is weeping...
No idea what the FTG operational structure is but these days it is rare that the author would also write the headline on a multi-contributor site like that IME. I almost never write them on the various sites I contribute to.

Someone clearly screwed up. But there's a decent chance it wasn't Carly.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by sbm12
No idea what the FTG operational structure is but these days it is rare that the author would also write the headline on a multi-contributor site like that IME. I almost never write them on the various sites I contribute to.

Someone clearly screwed up. But there's a decent chance it wasn't Carly.
OK then "someone's" 1st grade teacher is weeping!

Not that it's the first poorly written headline to come across that page, nor probably the last.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM

I'm not sure if the grammar is worse or the fact that they're reporting news from 4 weeks ago?
Old Feb 18, 2018, 11:39 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
I'm not sure if the grammar is worse or the fact that they're reporting news from 4 weeks ago?
Correction, for the purpose of consistency:

4 week’s ago.
84fiero and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Correction, for the purpose of consistency:

4 week’s ago.
Fair point's.
84fiero likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by 84fiero
How does this pertain to the FTG blog?
Hey, if you have nothing good to say...don't say it
Old Mar 2, 2018, 6:59 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Congratulations

Originally Posted by gpapadop
Hey, if you have nothing good to say...don't say it

You finally got it !!!!
Old Mar 2, 2018, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by honores41
What is your advice for better blog?
If you're looking for a travel blogger, find smaller ones that are trip reports, and not sites that are selling you credit cards and other things under the guise of providing travel advice.

If you are interested in the points and miles game, it's fine to read the large credit card shilling blogs such as TPG, FTG, and the independent bloggers on the Boarding Area platform, but make sure cross reference it with information on places like FlyerTalk (where we're consumers like you and I) to make sure that you're getting all of the information you need, as these bloggers will typically withhold information such as downsides to some of the products that they are trying to sell you via referral link, or sometimes will spin a piece to make an inferior product appear to be a good choice. Remember, these bloggers are a business, and that they are only selling things that make them money. If they don't make any money, they won't mention it, even if it's a very good product. In a similar fashion, these bloggers will recommend anything that's paying them to do so. Just keep in mind that while sometimes these blogs will provide good information, most of the time, the articles are simply advertisements.
84fiero and Adam1222 like this.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 3:50 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
And don't you EVER apply for seven cards at the SAME day!

Like this blog in the Thread title has been known to advocate. Ooops, I mean, sell. And be responsible too lol.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:21 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Yawn

Originally Posted by gpapadop
And don't you EVER apply for seven cards at the SAME day!

Like this blog in the Thread title has been known to advocate. Ooops, I mean, sell. And be responsible too lol.
Back in the day that recommendation was made, a 7 card churn was actually a little short for full time players, not those pretending to be newbies. A typical churn was one biz and one personal from each of the major card issuers every 90 days for those that had the credit scores (which proved they were already responsible with their credit), were of legal age and played the game to the fullest.

I'd apply for 12 or more in a day if I could find that many I was eligible for these days, and so would the real hard core churners. Meeting the minimum spend is obviously not an issue for real players.

Newbies and blog critics, well, probably not.

Back in the day, "If you were applying for one, you were missing the fun!"
Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by ingy
Back in the day that recommendation was made, a 7 card churn was actually a little short for full time players, not those pretending to be newbies.
True.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.