Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Live and Lets Fly [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2019, 3:01 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Theirin
While I'm glad that they may have been covered up now, if it was just about getting some extra views up that's even more deplorable.
Of course. See his comment that there will be another post about it today. This is just like the drama when a United FA asked him not to take photos. A little controversy spices up the pageviews....
84fiero likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 3:05 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The pictures have been edited now. Nice clickbait to punch his pageview numbers up for July.
I am not so sure that the blog post was initially made to be clickbait as much as the blogger was just furious at being repeatedly disturbed — in very unusual ways for a flight — by a child whom adults struggled to control and that the blogger wanted to “vent”. Extremely exhausted kids who miss their usual bed time can behave not so differently from some crazy drunks, but whether or not that was all this was this time, who knows. But it seems like he will do a follow-up about why he finally decided to blur the kid’s face after earlier refusing to do so and using some “no expectation of privacy” excuse amongst other things, and I see that as being more of a sort of click-bait at this juncture.

What’s the legal situation about using “the rod of correction” or any other physical spanking method against a young child in Germany? I am expecting that it’s legal status is different there than in Malaysia, Sri Lanka and the US. Do you think his physical spanking advocacy in the blog entry was done for click-bait purposes? If so, that’s deplorable too.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 17, 2019 at 3:12 am
Old Jul 17, 2019, 3:14 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I'm sure @MatthewLAX will soon arrive in this thread and weigh in. Speculation about his motivations, while fun, are probably best answered by him.

In Germany its not allowed by law, the latest edition of the law was even updated to read that a child has the right to a violence free education and besides physical punishment also pschological damage is not allowed: https://lexetius.com/BGB/1631,3 The law doesn't say what the punishment is but points out that the child may be removed from the parents.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 4:52 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
It's all about conversions...which it all starts with clicks.

I ignore this site. Looks like it has not changed at all.

Some bloggers will do ANYTHING for a click!
84fiero and Duke787 like this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by gpapadop
It's all about conversions...which it all starts with clicks.

I ignore this site. Looks like it has not changed at all.

Some bloggers will do ANYTHING for a click!
What's amazing to me is that people are surprised that Matthew Klint has taken what most people would agree is frustrating and instead turning it into an unethical, holier-than-thou, diatribe.
(Note, his initial post likely violated Article 16 of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child.)
84fiero likes this.

Last edited by Adam1222; Jul 17, 2019 at 12:04 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:10 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Speaking of Matthew, whatever happened with his saga about buying first class tickets on Swiss Air that he wanted reimbursed by Aeroplan? Was there ever a resolution to that? This is one of several posts on the topic dating back 18 months ago:
I’M BOOKED IN SWISS FIRST CLASS, ZURICH TO LOS ANGELES…
Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:27 am
Suspended

With a more recent blog post, he has repeated some kind of line like this: “There is no expectations of privacy onboard an aircraft.”

There actually is.

If there wasn’t, some paranoid group would be clamoring for plane lavatories with large peep windows and clamoring for them in the name of “security”.

If there wasn’t, airlines wouldn’t have come out saying that the IFE systems’ built-in camera holes are not enabled in some way.

If there wasn’t, fewer airline FAs would make a fuss against passengers wanting to photograph manifests or otherwise see them.

... and so on.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Adam1222
What's amazing to me is that people are surprised that Matthew Klimt has taken what most people would agree is frustrating and instead turning it into an unethical, holier-than-thou, diatribe.
Yeah that's a good point!

Originally Posted by tom911
Speaking of Matthew, whatever happened with his saga about buying first class tickets on Swiss Air that he wanted reimbursed by Aeroplan? Was there ever a resolution to that? This is one of several posts on the topic dating back 18 months ago:
I’M BOOKED IN SWISS FIRST CLASS, ZURICH TO LOS ANGELES…
A few months ago there was some post where he helped a reader with some SWISS issue and prevailed...readers were reading into that post that he had been successful in his fight against SWISS, but that being bound by an NDA, used that particular post to subtly tell people he had "won" without violating the NDA - that was the readers' theory at least. No idea what the truth is or if anything more explicit was ever posted.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
With a more recent blog post, he has repeated some kind of line like this: “There is no expectations of privacy onboard an aircraft.”

There actually is.

If there wasn’t, some paranoid group would be clamoring for plane lavatories with large peep windows and clamoring for them in the name of “security”.

If there wasn’t, airlines wouldn’t have come out saying that the IFE systems’ built-in camera holes are not enabled in some way.

If there wasn’t, fewer airline FAs would make a fuss against passengers wanting to photograph manifests or otherwise see them.

... and so on.
Even if there is/was no legal expectation of privacy for the child, there's a difference between what's legal and what's the decent, mature, and considerate thing to do.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Even if there is/was no legal expectation of privacy for the child, there's a difference between what's legal and what's the decent, mature, and considerate thing to do.
Indeed. And meeting misbehavior with misbehavior isn’t the decent, mature and considerate thing to do.
84fiero likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Yeah that's a good point!

And there's a difference between "You might end up in the background of someone else's pictures," and "someone might take pictures of you to share commercially on a public blog."
GUWonder, 84fiero and Adam1222 like this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:07 am
Suspended

His blog entry update on the CMB-KLIA flight now basically acknowledges this was done as a form of click-bait:

“Instead, I treated the incident as a spectator sport. Some of you criticized my anger, but trust me…I wasn’t angry at all. I was highly amused, noting at the very outset that this was going to be a great story to draw traffic into the blog. Indeed it was. And perhaps that is even worse than anger…”

If he calls for “the rod of correction” to hit a child when not angry, what kind of violence would be called for when he is angry?
84fiero likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:28 am

That just makes it far worse. I'm really not the kind of person who gets involved in boycotts, etc. but I will be making an intentional effort to avoid his blog going forward.
oliver2002, 84fiero and Adam1222 like this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
And there's a difference between "You might end up in the background of someone else's pictures," and "someone might take pictures of you to share commercially on a public blog."
I'm not sure if he ever eventually passed the bar exam (Matthew Klint doesn't show up in the California or PA Bar directories), but he fails to grasp the issue of the right to control use of one's own image applies even to photos taken in public places. I guess he didn't pay attention in his law school torts class.... (This is not a uniquely American concept, and I believe is enshrined in the German civil laws).
Not saying that there would have been a legal claim here, but to say "it was in a public place" does not make it lega. And of course, it doesn't make it morally justifiable to take pictures of a child to generate traffic to your blog.
84fiero, gpeso8, katstarr and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
I will be making an intentional effort to avoid his blog going forward.
Best course of action!

If they were not seeing clicks...you bet ALL of these blogs would not be posting such clickbait crap! Like shocking videos, self-induced "controversies" and other hideous content.

ENOUGH, stay away!
84fiero likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by GUWonder
His blog entry update on the CMB-KLIA flight now basically acknowledges this was done as a form of click-bait:

“Instead, I treated the incident as a spectator sport. Some of you criticized my anger, but trust me…I wasn’t angry at all. I was highly amused, noting at the very outset that this was going to be a great story to draw traffic into the blog. Indeed it was. And perhaps that is even worse than anger…”

If he calls for “the rod of correction” to hit a child when not angry, what kind of violence would be called for when he is angry?
Pathetic.

I'd hate to be his child, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.