Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Live and Lets Fly [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
No update on the NH issue, sadly, but plenty of potential fireworks with LX upcoming.
I look forward to a deposition of Matthew where he is forced to admit under oath that he knew it was a mistake when he booked it, based on his expertise on programs, the numerous blogs that he reads that indicated it was a mistake, and the blog post of Ben which indicates that they both knew it was an error. Equity does not favor someone who tries to take advantage of something they knew was a mistake, and then threatens to sue. I hope there are sanctions.
B747-437B and oliver2002 like this.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by Adam1222
I look forward to a deposition of Matthew .
There won't be a deposition because there won't be a lawsuit.
JonNYC and Adam1222 like this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JetAway
There won't be a deposition because there won't be a lawsuit.
I've stopped reading his blog completely but from the headlines I keep seeing on BA it seems like he has decided to go ahead and sue Aeroplan. Dude just doesn't know when the throw in the towel and these shenanigans just make it worse for the rest of us.

You win some you lose some, it's part of the game but really suing Aeroplan? That seems like a mighty big stretch.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by Duke787
I've stopped reading his blog completely but from the headlines I keep seeing on BA it seems like he has decided to go ahead and sue Aeroplan. Dude just doesn't know when the throw in the towel and these shenanigans just make it worse for the rest of us.

You win some you lose some, it's part of the game but really suing Aeroplan? That seems like a mighty big stretch.
He is a lawyer, that’s what they do. A JD degree seems to go to some people’s head’s making them feel superior to others and entitled. He also seems like he just likes to pick fights. I know Aeroplan and LX, especially LX, will not cave to his threats as Ethipian did. LX will present as evidence all his posts,
Old Dec 16, 2017, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

lawyers dont have to pay other lawyers to file lawsuits
Old Dec 16, 2017, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr

He is a lawyer, that’s what they do. A JD degree seems to go to some people’s head’s making them feel superior to others and entitled. He also seems like he just likes to pick fights. I know Aeroplan and LX, especially LX, will not cave to his threats as Ethipian did. LX will present as evidence all his posts,
please do not attribute this to him being a lawyer. He is not a litigator. Any good litigator would never bring this lawsuit as it is sanctionable and would destroy his own reputation.
As for know it all's, there are plenty of them in every profession.
There are tens of thousands of people with JDs in America. They help people get food stamps, they rule on difficult issues in child abuse and neglect cases, they help people buy homes and draft wills, they advise business people on the risks and benefits of financial transactions. Some are amazing humble people, some abuse their power, some threaten frivolous lawsuits and even bring them. Feel free to question Matthew Klint's attempt to take advantage of what he knew to be a mistake and then bring a lawsuit based on his inability to profit off of what he knew at the time to be a mistake puts him in that last category, but it's not the fact that he has a law degree that does so.

Last edited by Adam1222; Dec 16, 2017 at 6:01 pm
Old Dec 16, 2017, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
lawyers dont have to pay other lawyers to file lawsuits
Technically anyone can bring a lawsuit pro se. Simply that he has a law degree doesn't mean anything about whether he has the skills and knowledge to bring a lawsuit.
In the profession, there is an adage: A lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 9:45 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Duke787

+1

Crap like this just seems to encourage more restrictive rules and practices in the future, that wind up impacting everyone for the worse, even if indirectly. You have to pick your battles, and this isn't one I would choose. However this blogger seems to see everything as a battle.

If this were a simple case of availability suddenly showing up on a route/carrier that is supposed to be bookable, but just rarely has availability...and then the carrier renegs, then fighting it might make sense (but not to the point of a lawsuit IMHO). But the Aeroplan award chart is pretty clear that you can't redeem for LX F...and he knows it. It's bad karma to be making such a stink about this IMHO.
KDS777 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 7:26 am

I don't think he has a legal practice; only a J.D. He seems to have an award service as well as a blog.. I assume he thinks this stunt will somehow drive those businesses. His "lawsuit" won't last long.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: M&M
Originally Posted by cruisr
He is a lawyer
He's not an attorney. A law school graduate who has not yet passed the bar is not a lawyer. It really bothers me that he holds himself out to be a lawyer when he is clearly not licensed to practice.

Here he talks about sitting for the California Bar Examination in Summer 2013: An Important Decision Resolved - Live and Let's Fly

Here is where you can search for attorney's who are members of the California Bar: Attorney Search : The State Bar of California

I'd love to be proven wrong on this but I have searched every jurisdiction and he has no record of passing the bar in any state.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by BaliLoverNL
He's not an attorney. A law school graduate who has not yet passed the bar is not a lawyer. It really bothers me that he holds himself out to be a lawyer when he is clearly not licensed to practice.

Here he talks about sitting for the California Bar Examination in Summer 2013: An Important Decision Resolved - Live and Let's Fly

Here is where you can search for attorney's who are members of the California Bar: Attorney Search : The State Bar of California

I'd love to be proven wrong on this but I have searched every jurisdiction and he has no record of passing the bar in any state.
Alas the 2013 bar pass list isn't up anymore, and his law school had less than 10 sit for the California bar that year so it's pass rate was not reported. On the Pennsylvania bar (a relatively easy one), His school's pass rate was a full 5% below the state average.

It's actually been a major issue in the legal community that many law schools, particularly from 2010-13, were accepting people who had little chance of passing the bar and thus practicing as lawyers. If any of those people spent law school traveling and blogging about it, it's not super surprising they didn't pass the bar.
If there was a question about the clean hands doctrine or mutual mistake that year, he clearly didn't do well.

Last edited by Adam1222; Dec 17, 2017 at 12:22 pm
Old Dec 19, 2017, 3:45 pm

LOL Herr Klint today got into a twitter spat with me repeatedly insisting I'm "the annoying troll" he keeps blocking from his blog. I'm not -- all I know about his blog I read from others, but whoever it is, apparently you sound like me. So, good job.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Adam1222
LOL Herr Klint today got into a twitter spat with me repeatedly insisting I'm "the annoying troll" he keeps blocking from his blog. I'm not -- all I know about his blog I read from others, but whoever it is, apparently you sound like me. So, good job.
I'm surprised he didn't threaten to sue you, too!
Old Dec 19, 2017, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero
I'm surprised he didn't threaten to sue you, too!
My response would have been a "Google Me" gif.
Unlike him, I've passed several bar exams (and they were easy for me, tbh).
Old Dec 21, 2017, 5:21 am

Ethopian was a bust in my opinion, but I cheer Matt on this battle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.