Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Live and Lets Fly [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Remember this is the guy who got his JD from Drexel University, ranked 113th. No surprise he couldn't pass the bar. You couldn't pay me money to waste my time at such a lowly ranked law institution.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler
Remember this is the guy who got his JD from Drexel University, ranked 113th. No surprise he couldn't pass the bar. You couldn't pay me money to waste my time at such a lowly ranked law institution.

if if one doesn’t pass a bar exam is one still a lawyer and entitled to claim that they are a lawyer.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

No need to denigrate the institution (and note there are over 200 ABA accredited law schools). It's a perfectly fine law school, and the majority of its graduates pass the bar on their first try (~80%) over each of the past few years. Not sure how young you are, YoungSoloTraveler, but this strikes me as a bit naive and elitist.

And calling one self a lawyer is a complicated issue. Typically, "lawyer" is used to refer to someone who practices law, not simply someone who holds a law degree. "Attorney at Law" traditionally refers to someone admitted to practice. But different jurisdictions have different rules. Under NY rules, actually, you cannot refer to yourself as a lawyer without passing the bar. See NY Judiciary Law s. 478. Texas law is similar. Tex. Penal Code Ann. § 38.122 (crime for person not admitted to the bar of any state to "hold himself or herself out as a lawyer"). In California, the statute is less clear. See Cal. Bus. & Prof. Code § 6126 (making it a crime to "advertis[e] or hold [oneself] out as practicing or entitled to practice law or otherwise practicing law [if] not an active member of the State Bar").

Last edited by Adam1222; Jan 4, 2018 at 2:11 pm
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:59 pm

Drexel University School of Law - TLS wiki
THIRD TIER REALITY: Down the Drain: Drexel Law School

Its not elitist, just plain reality. The law school opened in 2006.... I have no desire to be a lawyer, but my law school friends all say the same thing: T14 or bust., assuming no scholarship.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 5:23 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

Its not elitist, just plain reality. The law school opened in 2006.... I have no desire to be a lawyer, but my law school friends all say the same thing: T14 or bust., assuming no scholarship.
Oh sweetie.
Kiara likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond

Many good doctors and lawyers out there went to law schools that wouldn't be considered great. Once you're in practice, it's the skills you have, both personal and business, and, sometimes, your luck in picking a particular field or a location to practice that can make you a successful doctor or lawyer. A lot of patients and clients do not know and do not care that their doctor or lawyer graduated in the bottom third of a school without Ivy covering it. And several scoundrels in each field have graduated from all sorts of schools, prestigious or not.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I think we are moving off the point a little :-)

In general, in the UK, the police and criminals have a deal. We don't arm 90% of our police officers, and virtually no criminals carry guns. It works out just fine. And if you start waving a gun around we throw the book at you.

That is roughly how the miles and points game works. We give the airlines a run around sometimes, but they get an astonishing mine of free information via FT and the like and they can keep some heavy hitters happy with a few low key promotions. They don't run around closing our accounts or shutting down workarounds if only a few people are playing them. The schemes even do stuff for our benefit - I mean, has anyone who didn't read FT or a blog ever booked an IHG PointsBreak?! They give us the hotels in advance and the good ones sell out in a day. Normal IHG members never get a look in.

When you go around issuing lawsuits against airlines or programmes for genuine mistakes, you start to tamper with the fragile fabric of our universe. And that isn't a clever thing to do.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 3:38 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Raffles
And that isn't a clever thing to do.
From which point of view? From the reader/hobbyist/milecollector/travelhacker, sure! But from the blog businessman point of view, whose metric he cherishes (page views), if incidents like these lead to content for several days and some controversy/clicks...bingo. And just sad!
oliver2002 and 84fiero like this.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Many good doctors and lawyers out there went to law schools that wouldn't be considered great. Once you're in practice, it's the skills you have, both personal and business, and, sometimes, your luck in picking a particular field or a location to practice that can make you a successful doctor or lawyer. A lot of patients and clients do not know and do not care that their doctor or lawyer graduated in the bottom third of a school without Ivy covering it. And several scoundrels in each field have graduated from all sorts of schools, prestigious or not.
We all know the med school admissions is completely different than law school. Honestly, as long as the medical school is accredited, you'll have no problem finding a decent paying job. Bottom tier law schools are another story. I only mention his law "pedigree" due to the ridiculous shitstorm he is causing.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
We all know the med school admissions is completely different than law school. Honestly, as long as the medical school is accredited, you'll have no problem finding a decent paying job. Bottom tier law schools are another story. I only mention his law "pedigree" due to the ridiculous shitstorm he is causing.
He's acting like a petulant child.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
When you go around issuing lawsuits against airlines or programmes for genuine mistakes, you start to tamper with the fragile fabric of our universe. And that isn't a clever thing to do.
The blogger who filed a DOT complaint on an AV award that violated cabotage (and got AV to "fix" their award engine) has to be the classic example of that.

That being said, let's say for the sake of argument MatthewLAX wins his case. What's LX gonna do, not issue any more partner F awards that they aren't issuing anyways?
Markie likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
The blogger who filed a DOT complaint on an AV award that violated cabotage (and got AV to "fix" their award engine) has to be the classic example of that.

That being said, let's say for the sake of argument MatthewLAX wins his case. What's LX gonna do, not issue any more partner F awards that they aren't issuing anyways?
They could cancel my Swiss F ticket issued via M&M :-)
Old Jan 16, 2018, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
They could cancel my Swiss F ticket issued via M&M :-)
They’d cancel tickets in their own program because someone won a lawsuit based on them doing an “oops” to partners? That would prevent them from being sued again how?

They have a pretty easy way to get around this problem, don’t release to partners and if they do, grit and bear it, and don’t do it again. There isn’t anything to fix here the same way AV found out they needed to “fix” cabotage.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
So either he isn't getting anywhere with SWISS/Aeroplan or he's negotiating a nice settlement with a NDA. I'm assuming the latter considering he'd otherwise be blogging day and night about how right he is and how wrong they are.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
So either he isn't getting anywhere with SWISS/Aeroplan or he's negotiating a nice settlement with a NDA. I'm assuming the latter considering he'd otherwise be blogging day and night about how right he is and how wrong they are.
I'm guessing the former.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.