8th Annual Chicago Seminars - October 20 - 22, 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2017, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Middle_Seat
Dates for 2017 event are: Oct 20-22, 2017

* Event Registration: http://chicagoseminars2017.eventbrite.com - lunch and daily snacks are included in registration (breakfast is NOT included in registration ... see below)
* Hotel registration is in post # 2 (Breakfast for 1 is included in room rate). Host hotel is SOLD OUT.
* Schedule of weekend events is in post #3.
* Current event sponsors in post #4 (and email provided if someone is interested in sponsoring)
* Some info re: charity raffle is in post #5.
* Request for volunteers is in post #6. (volunteers get a thanks & handshake - and an apple).
* A full list of the current speakers is in post #7

The Elk Grove Village Holiday Inn (+1-847-437-6010) shuttle normally leaves the hotel on the hour and the airport on the half hour. Domestic arrivals pick up at Door 2, international arrivals at Door 5E.
Print Wikipost

8th Annual Chicago Seminars - October 20 - 22, 2017

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2017, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ??????????
Originally Posted by AndroAsc
Btw, was there a survey send out to assign people into various groups? Has that been done already?
What groups do you mean? When you sign up for the event you pick the sessions that you want to attend.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: United platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG plat
Eventbrite shows 201 registrations left available with one month of sales to go. Have bloggers remind folks about it again Howie?

Also, curious as to how many slots they originally offered up?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dmat
Eventbrite shows 201 registrations left available with one month of sales to go. Have bloggers remind folks about it again Howie?

Also, curious as to how many slots they originally offered up?
coming soon - 525 is the total quantity. If we get that many people, we might get a call from the fire marshall
Old Sep 24, 2017, 5:00 pm

Just got an invite to attend a wedding, I will have to miss the seminar this year

Howie - can you please tell the procedure for ticket transfer this year?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ashishsg
Just got an invite to attend a wedding, I will have to miss the seminar this year

Howie - can you please tell the procedure for ticket transfer this year?
email [email protected] from the email address registered for the event.

provide the email/name of the person who the ticket is being transferred to

send $25 via paypal to [email protected]
ashishsg likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 3:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Lining up some great prizes for this year's charity raffle! Woo-hoo!

If anyone wants to donate something to the raffle prizes, send me a PM to let me know or bring it w/ you to the event & drop it off at the registration desk. We've had folk donate drink chits, airline lounge passes, airline upgrades, airline/hotel merchandise, and some cool non-travel stuff over the years as well.

Also, if you're willing to help w/ raffle sales let me know. Volunteers do not miss any of the sessions. Usually I need folk to tell me how many tickets or count them off/give them to the attendees while I collect the cash or run credit cards through the Square device in-between the sessions, from the table I've got set up outside the seminar rooms. I also need some "Vannas" (Wheel of Fortune reference) to help distribute the prizes on Sunday morning.

See you all in a month!

Cheers.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Lining up some great prizes for this year's charity raffle! Woo-hoo!

If anyone wants to donate something to the raffle prizes, send me a PM to let me know or bring it w/ you to the event & drop it off at the registration desk. We've had folk donate drink chits, airline lounge passes, airline upgrades, airline/hotel merchandise, and some cool non-travel stuff over the years as well.

Also, if you're willing to help w/ raffle sales let me know. Volunteers do not miss any of the sessions. Usually I need folk to tell me how many tickets or count them off/give them to the attendees while I collect the cash or run credit cards through the Square device in-between the sessions, from the table I've got set up outside the seminar rooms. I also need some "Vannas" (Wheel of Fortune reference) to help distribute the prizes on Sunday morning.

See you all in a month!

Cheers.
I helped you with the tickets on the Friday last year and should be able to do the same again this year.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by NoHomeJustRoam
I helped you with the tickets on the Friday last year and should be able to do the same again this year.
Thanks so much! Appreciate it. I'll get to the hotel around noon on Friday (think registration starts at 4pm), so just find me when you get there.

Cheers.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:02 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Other than my gas/tolls & hotel room being covered by the event, I don't get any financial gain from the event. I don't own or contribute to a blog. I don't even do MS & have very few credit cards; a lot of my points are from my derriere actually being in a hotel bed or airline seat).

Other than the Marriott breakout session that I moderate (do not work for Marriott & no compensation from them; just a Marriott elite) I've yet to make it to any of the sessions because I'm busy selling raffle tickets from the time I arrive mid-day Friday up to the time of giving out the prizes mid-morning Sunday, from very early morning 7am until very late at night 1am.

I've basically lost my voice by the end of the weekend & am exhausted, but it's worth it because I'm at a conference w/ a lot of like-minded travelers, enjoy the energy from chatting w/ people I know (a bit like a class reunion) & meeting new folk, introducing people to each other & giving some advice on how not to be overwhelmed by all the info being tossed at them, and knowing that we're contributing to 3 good charities each year.

Now, if someone would like to buy me a drink (or throat lozenges!) at this year's seminar & if that's considered financial gain, I'd accept & the heck w/ the ethics of booze/meds as payment

Cheers.
Way to go SkiAdcock. Have always liked to help out and see you doing it. BTW a ride to the bank ? @:-)
Old Sep 26, 2017, 9:44 pm

Thanks so much! Appreciate it. I'll get to the hotel around noon on Friday (think registration starts at 4pm), so just find me when you get there.

Cheers.
Will do. I'll be getting in on Thursday night but will have to work from my room Friday - should be done in plenty of time to help out though.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by HMPS
Way to go SkiAdcock. Have always liked to help out and see you doing it. BTW a ride to the bank ? @:-)
LOL - no, not this year. That was a one-off when I forgot I had a bill due last year. See you in a few weeks!

Cheers.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Does the hotel shuttle still arrive at ORD on the half hour at Door 2?
Old Oct 1, 2017, 7:15 am

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by Middle_Seat
Does the hotel shuttle still arrive at ORD on the half hour at Door 2?
Replying to my own question: I just called the Elk Grove Village HI (+1-847-437-6010) and was told that their shuttle leaves the hotel on the hour and the airport on the half hour. Domestic arrivals pick up at Door 2, international arrivals at Door 5E.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA flyer, Hilton, SPG, Hyatt stayer
Anyone know if the HI Elk Grove qualifies for the IHG Q4 Accelerate "Big City" requirement?Officially, it lists Chicago, but not sure if Elk Grove qualifies as Chicago.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by honda654
Anyone know if the HI Elk Grove qualifies for the IHG Q4 Accelerate "Big City" requirement?Officially, it lists Chicago, but not sure if Elk Grove qualifies as Chicago.
off hand no, I don't know. pretty sure if you sign in to your IHG account and look at the promotion you'll see a list of which properties qualify. if not, a call to IHG will be needed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.