8th Annual Chicago Seminars - October 20 - 22, 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2017, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Middle_Seat
Dates for 2017 event are: Oct 20-22, 2017

* Event Registration: http://chicagoseminars2017.eventbrite.com - lunch and daily snacks are included in registration (breakfast is NOT included in registration ... see below)
* Hotel registration is in post # 2 (Breakfast for 1 is included in room rate). Host hotel is SOLD OUT.
* Schedule of weekend events is in post #3.
* Current event sponsors in post #4 (and email provided if someone is interested in sponsoring)
* Some info re: charity raffle is in post #5.
* Request for volunteers is in post #6. (volunteers get a thanks & handshake - and an apple).
* A full list of the current speakers is in post #7

The Elk Grove Village Holiday Inn (+1-847-437-6010) shuttle normally leaves the hotel on the hour and the airport on the half hour. Domestic arrivals pick up at Door 2, international arrivals at Door 5E.
Print Wikipost

8th Annual Chicago Seminars - October 20 - 22, 2017

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Volunteer

Howieeeeee

You can expect me at the Registration Desk as usual on Friday, available from 3 P M.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 11:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
edit. duplicate
Old Apr 2, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA EXP, AS MVP75K GOLD, HHonors Diamond, BW Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
And we're booked ! Been watching flights and we are getting there early (perhaps to do a little mattress running prior & after?)

Arriving Thursday and looking forward to a fun weekend with all!
Old Apr 2, 2017, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ??????????
Originally Posted by HMPS
Howieeeeee

You can expect me at the Registration Desk as usual on Friday, available from 3 P M.
Thank you Prat
Old Apr 2, 2017, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoHomeJustRoam
Great, thanks! btw, great job with the different sessions - there's something perfect for me in every single slot over the weekend.
^^^^^
Old Apr 2, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt, SPG, IHG, UAL
Anyone getting there early and want to do something in Chicago? Thinking of flying in on Thursday and would have Thursday evening and all day Friday available.

Jane
Old Apr 2, 2017, 8:32 pm

Programs: MR, TYP, AA, B6, DL, WN, HH, MB, 2V
Flights have been booked for a month Looking to volunteer, just need to figure out the time!

Originally Posted by ValleyGirlofVA
Anyone getting there early and want to do something in Chicago? Thinking of flying in on Thursday and would have Thursday evening and all day Friday available.

Jane
I should be there early, down to meet up with some people, I'm sure more will be too, once we get closer!
Old Apr 3, 2017, 11:28 am

I'll be flying in from VA on the Thursday night too, so up for meeting up with others that night. I'll have to work at the hotel during the day on Friday though, so wouldn't have time to head into the city before the seminars.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 9:25 am

Comments were deleted

Last edited by kingrat; Apr 5, 2017 at 8:16 am
Old Apr 4, 2017, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kingrat
Some of the sessions like like repeats from last year and FTU - I hope that various sessions are updated - Half of FTU Seattle was rehash of Chicago Seminar - FTU Minneapolis is August and I hope this is not a rehash of that. I dont want to call anyone out but we have some lazy presenters that give the same talk event after event.
If there are lazy presenters that do the same talk event after event please let me know and we won't have them speak.

Keep in mind, some of the content will carry year to year due to the introduction of new attendees and we need to cover basics, but if you have feedback please share it -- at least with me.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by thehowieee
If there are lazy presenters that do the same talk event after event please let me know and we won't have them speak.

Keep in mind, some of the content will carry year to year due to the introduction of new attendees and we need to cover basics, but if you have feedback please share it -- at least with me.
Thanks

Last edited by kingrat; Apr 5, 2017 at 8:07 am Reason: Hurt Feelings
Old Apr 4, 2017, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kingrat
I will be attending and I have shared it with 3 people who have never been there before and confirmed they are registered.

I think the challenge is if you a person attends a few different events a year (FTU, Chicago, etc), read multiple blogs and having a limit number of speakers in this hobby that you tend to hear the same things.

The hottest thing right now is using 5 Backs - Still don't see anyone discussing this or they gave one sentence and that is it. Ill message you others items that I don't want to share here openly.

Will there be one on one sessions like last year?
just tried to send you a PM reply, but FT says "kingrat has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her."
Old Apr 4, 2017, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by thehowieee
just tried to send you a PM reply, but FT says "kingrat has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her."
I would agree that the bulk of the speakers seems to be giving the same presentation as last year (with updated information I'm sure), but still, it would be nice if there were some new relevant topics thrown into the mix. Here's a sampling of speakers giving the same presentation as last year:

Rene: Introduction to Manufactured Spending
Dave / Bikeguy: Booking Travel for Five or More
Stefan / Rapid Travel Chai: Advanced Credit Cards,

It's great that some presenters like Shawn Coomer seem to be building off the info they gave last year (last year intro to this year expert reselling as well). I'm sure I'll still find value in updated presentations, but let's get some new stuff going too.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by balian1131
I would agree that the bulk of the speakers seems to be giving the same presentation as last year (with updated information I'm sure), but still, it would be nice if there were some new relevant topics thrown into the mix. Here's a sampling of speakers giving the same presentation as last year:

Rene: Introduction to Manufactured Spending
Dave / Bikeguy: Booking Travel for Five or More
Stefan / Rapid Travel Chai: Advanced Credit Cards,

It's great that some presenters like Shawn Coomer seem to be building off the info they gave last year (last year intro to this year expert reselling as well). I'm sure I'll still find value in updated presentations, but let's get some new stuff going too.
To add some clarity, sessions that appear to be repeated, aren't necessarily copied content.

For example, Manufactured Spend strategies are constantly evolving. I'm confident Rene won't be talking about how awesome bluebird and vanilla reload are for bulking up on spend.

As award programs change (partnerships/earning opportunities), so do strategies for booking award tickets and finding those sweet spots. And when it comes to credit cards, it is a constantly changing world. What may have been possible with an American bank in previous years probably won't cut the mustard this year.

So while I, uncreatively, keep the same topic names, I'm confident you'll see fresh content. If you attend every conference that any of these folks speak at I guarantee you'll see a repeat of content. It is the same as following a comedian around on tour -- you're going to hear a lot of the same jokes over the course of a few months if you go to every show.

When identifying topics, the focus is on "what is relevant and what are people asking about."

I hope you'll find some topics that interest you and that we'll see you in October.

Last edited by thehowieee; Apr 4, 2017 at 3:03 pm
Old Apr 4, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: MR, TYP, AA, B6, DL, WN, HH, MB, 2V
Just snagged a ticket - excited to be there this year!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.