Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

8th Annual Chicago Seminars - October 20 - 22, 2017

Old Mar 17, 2017, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Middle_Seat
Dates for 2017 event are: Oct 20-22, 2017

* Event Registration: http://chicagoseminars2017.eventbrite.com - lunch and daily snacks are included in registration (breakfast is NOT included in registration ... see below)
* Hotel registration is in post # 2 (Breakfast for 1 is included in room rate). Host hotel is SOLD OUT.
* Schedule of weekend events is in post #3.
* Current event sponsors in post #4 (and email provided if someone is interested in sponsoring)
* Some info re: charity raffle is in post #5.
* Request for volunteers is in post #6. (volunteers get a thanks & handshake - and an apple).
* A full list of the current speakers is in post #7

The Elk Grove Village Holiday Inn (+1-847-437-6010) shuttle normally leaves the hotel on the hour and the airport on the half hour. Domestic arrivals pick up at Door 2, international arrivals at Door 5E.
Print Wikipost

8th Annual Chicago Seminars - October 20 - 22, 2017

Old Oct 14, 2017, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by TacomaRick
due to a family issue I wont be going. If someone needs a ticket still let me know. I think you just pay the transfer fee? Was looking forward to my first time but life gets in the way sometimes. Hope to be there next year.
Please check your PM.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 6:31 am

Anyone cancelling room at HI

Please PM me if you are cancelling your room at the event hotel! I'd love to stay there instead of Country Inn & Suites in Bensenville.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 6:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by kaysmom
Please PM me if you are cancelling your room at the event hotel! I'd love to stay there instead of Country Inn & Suites in Bensenville.
FYI rooms tend to open up all week before the event. But calling the hotel direct is the best choice.
kaysmom likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: ??????????
Originally Posted by kaysmom
Some rooms will open on Monday or Tuesday. I would recommend calling later in the day if you don't see availability online.

I won't be posting exactly when they release them, but when they become available they will be bookable online. If it isn't bookable online, it will not be bookable by calling. Only a few rooms are going to be available.
kaysmom likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 6:05 pm

When does the registration end? The date on that website seemed to be drifting. It was 2d 2 days ago but I checked today it still has 2days before it expires.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Delta Skymiles PM, AA ExPlat, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold
I will be attending for the first time. Managed to snag a room at the host hotel also, which is awesome.

I had to choose between Manufactured spending and Advanced Mileage Running techniques (either that or the Mileage Running one was full), but I am very interested in both. Hopefully I can trade notes with someone there so I can get some information on both! I heard about the even through Renes Points blog, and am looking very forward to being there! I'm sure I'll pick up a lot of good information through meeting new people as well as in the seminars!
Old Oct 16, 2017, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
The hotel currently has rooms available for Saturday night (none for Friday, at least online). Over $180/nt though.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yoyo
When does the registration end? The date on that website seemed to be drifting. It was 2d 2 days ago but I checked today it still has 2days before it expires.
It ends when it ends. It will end no sooner than the time posted, but I may bump it out based on when I actually go to print badges.

Don't assume it'll be extended any further, but it may.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 1:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by javabytes
The hotel currently has rooms available for Saturday night (none for Friday, at least online). Over $180/nt though.
If you book using the conference rate code, you will get the $94/night rate or $104/night rate, regardless of what the website says. If you booked at a higher rate but used the link/conference rate, please come see me at the registration desk at the event.

Updated ^^^ from only $94. 1 bed = $94. 2 bed = $104

Last edited by thehowieee; Oct 16, 2017 at 3:42 am Reason: wrong information
Old Oct 16, 2017, 3:33 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Delta Skymiles PM, AA ExPlat, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by thehowieee
If you book using the conference rate code, you will get the $94/night rate, regardless of what the website says. If you booked at a higher rate but used the link/conference rate, please come see me at the registration desk at the event.
Thank you for that. It looks like it gave me $104/nt, so we can take care of that when registration opens?

Does the hotel offer any early check in? I will be there pretty early on Friday. I'm also happy to help with any set up or lend a hand with anything that is needed on Friday.

Anyone else getting in early on Friday? I'm considering hanging out in the SkyClub a bit before heading over to the hotel if anyone else is coming in on Delta and wants to have a beverage before heading over.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CAETravlr
Thank you for that. It looks like it gave me $104/nt, so we can take care of that when registration opens?

Does the hotel offer any early check in? I will be there pretty early on Friday. I'm also happy to help with any set up or lend a hand with anything that is needed on Friday.

Anyone else getting in early on Friday?
Actually, I need to bite my tongue on this. Single bed rooms should be $94 -- double bed rooms should be $104.

Adjusting my comment above to say that in a min.

If there are clean rooms they'll check you in. if not, just hang out.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 3:45 am

Ah, that clarifies it then. All that was available was a double when I booked, so that explains the rate I got. No worries. If anyone wanted a double that ended up with a single, I'm happy to switch, but at the moment, I'm not going to complain about the extra 10 a night.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 3:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'll arrive to the hotel around noon on Friday. In prior years some of us have met for lunch in the hotel restaurant/bar to say hi/get to know each other/talk miles & points. Anyone is welcome.

Cheers.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 3:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thoughts & tips for those attending the Chicago Seminar Event for the first time...

* Dress casual or biz casual, whichever you prefer/feel most comfortable in. It's long days/nights.

* Layer or have a lightweight sweater or jacket in case it gets cold or if you're wearing it, can take off if it gets too hot. This applies to both inside & outside temps.

* Realize that you're not the dumbest person in the room when it comes to travel, and also odds are you're not the smartest. The range of knowledge is quite wide in a group of 500, but sometimes it's easy to feel intimidated. Also know some people exaggerate when they discuss their status, tricks, tips.

* Take a deep breath & also realize you're not going to remember everything. When there is so much information shared in such a short period of time, it can be a bit overwhelming (understatement). If you can get one good tip out of each session you're ahead of the game.

* Take notes, whether it's via paper, laptop, iPad, smartphone, whatever. You won't remember everything if you try to just do it mentally. If you're attending with someone or you meet someone who will be in a different session, make arrangements to swap notes after the event.

* Go to the hotel restaurant/bar in the evenings, even if you don't drink. You're surrounded by a few hundred like-minded individuals so even if you don't know anyone you have something in common, so ask to sit with others & feel free to join in with the others. Don't just head back to your room after the sessions are over, as it's in the hallways, bar & restaurant that good tips/conversations occur/friendships are made. You don't have to close down the bar (although some have been known to do that!), but stop by for a while to meet/chat/eat/drink.

* Even if you're an introvert, do ask if you can join others and chat. I know it can be difficult to do, but you'll benefit by doing so. Some FTers will find this hard to believe because I'm pretty out-going/gregarious, but I am shy & it is hard for me to reach out/ask if I can join a group when I don't know others so I sympathize. But again, the thing to remember is that you all have something in common - travel. You might want to think of a few ice-breaker questions in advance. Or you might want to eavesdrop on conversations & if you find one of interest, just join in.

* And yes, to the veterans, reach out to others & invite them to join you. We were all newbies once.

* Just acknowledge that the chairs are uncomfortable (misery loves company) & with 500 attendees and a full hotel, the internet might run slow. Meals aren't as bad as everyone makes out - and the fact so many get served in such a short period of time is amazing. Remember, you don't fly for the food/you're not attending the event for the food either.

* Start checking out forums on Flyertalk. You'll get lots of good information at the CSE, but there is a lot more knowledge in the various airline, hotel, manufactured spend forums on Flyertalk & you can access it 24/7/365.

* One last thing - don't forget to buy lots of charity raffle tickets from me or my volunteers. We've got great prizes, are supporting 3 wonderful charities, and we accept credit cards as well as cash.

Have fun & see everyone this weekend!
ashishsg likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 3:51 am
Original Poster

What she said

Thanks, Sharon!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.