Search

Blogs that post real tricks ?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2016, 9:45 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Blogs that post real tricks ?

Any suggestions for blogs that are not scared to post about tricks that people here try to keep "underground" ? Even if they are not in English, that is fine (thanks Google Translate)

I know that one of them is Secret Flying, and I know there are several non-english (ie: german) blogs that post more useful tricks than TPG, VFW, OMAAT..

I am also willing to consider pay/subscription blogs if they provide good value and save time.

thanks
Old Nov 14, 2016, 6:01 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

For what “real tricks” are you searching?
Old Nov 15, 2016, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
There is no business model in this. The airlines and hotel companies will not advertise nor will they let you join their affiliate schemes (or will kick you off if you are in them).

It would also be pointless to share genuine tricks knowing they will be dead within a few hours of being posted.

If you want to learn interesting stuff you should look at the Community board and meet FTers in person, where secrets are often shared.
rt23456p and mandrivnyk like this.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 6:12 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Any suggestions for blogs that are not scared to post about tricks that people here try to keep "underground" ? Even if they are not in English, that is fine (thanks Google Translate)

I know that one of them is Secret Flying, and I know there are several non-english (ie: german) blogs that post more useful tricks than TPG, VFW, OMAAT..

I am also willing to consider pay/subscription blogs if they provide good value and save time.

thanks
So, what are those German blogs you're finding useful?

I don't really know how to answer as I'm not quite sure what you mean by "real tricks". Anything that still works is "real" to my mind. If you mean not widely known, well something that is a new and unique technique to one person may be old hat to the next.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 7:16 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Raffles
There is no business model in this. The airlines and hotel companies will not advertise nor will they let you join their affiliate schemes (or will kick you off if you are in them).

It would also be pointless to share genuine tricks knowing they will be dead within a few hours of being posted.

If you want to learn interesting stuff you should look at the Community board and meet FTers in person, where secrets are often shared.
Pay for info sites exist/existed; and at least one on the dark web had some kind of payment collection effort for tips.

Aren't there still some people paying even for YQ-dump info?

But a scalable business model that is as potentially lucrative as a good, public blog? Not so easy to pull off.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 12:46 pm

I know at least one or two "real tricks" and kept "underground"...it's clear to me that it's not common knowledge based on the frequent/numerous posting about how/when to book.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 7:56 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

It's widely considered that too much exposure kills deals, especially the sensitive ones. This is not breaking news.

Our "hobby" has seen unprecedented growth in the last 2 years, and lots of the easy pickin's have died off. This is across the board... the loopholes in booking, the ease of earning qualifying miles, the bonanza of miles earnings, the credit card sign up opportunities, the rewards that status would get you... it's a long list of pared down opportunities.

I saw that CNN news clip about the blogger sitting in First Class for "free" twice in one day recently. It doesn't paint a pretty picture.

I've heard repeatedly that bank and airline personnel are keeping up with the latest hacks by being here on FT, reading the blogs, and attending the FTU's, so, they are on to our tricks.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
I've heard repeatedly that bank and airline personnel are keeping up with the latest hacks by being here on FT, reading the blogs, and attending the FTU's, so, they are on to our tricks.
If there are any "hidden" tricks they probably have a lot more risk now-a-days vs the hidden tricks from back in 2010. When I say risk... I'm referring to risking the deal getting shut down, I mean risking losing your accounts or worse.

A blogger has learned to filter what they put out to readers. They have to evaluate their own self gain. If a reader shares a great deal they have to decide how much money it will make them if they release the info. Even if they get deals shut down, they will be the "go to" spot for new hidden deals. This drives traffic and increases their income. There are other deals that are so risky that they don't want to be held liable if things go wrong for their readers or risk hurting their relationship with advertisers and banks. There are other deals where they want to actually use them and not have them killed... or maybe aren't very ethical.

I've seen some posts from Dan's Deals, Frequent Miler, and Doctor of Credit where they were aware of certain deals, tips, and tricks and decide that it wasn't in the readers best interest to release the info. I've always had respect for them. There are other bloggers like Ben at OMAAT who didn't release info on certain deals and tricks because they relied on them in order to maintain their lifestyle and livelihood. In his first years he was milking the United scheme that got him "banned" for several years. How many miles/flights and status did that deal earn him? I bet you it helped him financially early on with his blog.

Your best bet is to get into the private/secret Facebook and Reddit groups. Even then, don't expect anything Earth shattering when it comes to deals. You may just have a leg up on other people and get in on stuff earlier.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
OMAAT just let the cat out of the bag with the AA Italian browser glitch.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 3:50 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by hockeystl
OMAAT just let the cat out of the bag with the AA Italian browser glitch.
Oh yeah, that what I'm looking for
Old Nov 17, 2016, 6:18 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Oh yeah, that what I'm looking for
Well it all sounds great until you book the ticket via the, now public, workaround then you show up at the airport and your rez is cancelled because the purchase violated the T&C. You're then faced with the option of not taking the trip or buying a $$$ last minute Y fare.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 9:55 pm

Programs: Queen of the Sky Pesos
So about these German blogs...
Old Nov 19, 2016, 5:44 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Secret Flying??? Seriously?
Old Nov 20, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by scrubjay
Indeed...I asked up thread as well. OP comes in wanting others to share good sources for his benefit, says he's aware of useful tricks on some German language blogs but then refuses to share them himself.

Originally Posted by gpapadop
Secret Flying??? Seriously?
Yeah and have you heard about this awesome, new gourmet restaurant that's not well known yet - it's called "McDonald's"...PM me for details!
Old Nov 20, 2016, 10:27 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by scrubjay
They are something like this: http://www.stopflyingeconomy.com/category/tutorial/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.