FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   External Miles and Points Resources (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources-723/)
-   -   SPG/Marriott Merger a Litmus Test of Which Blogs Are a Waste of Your Time (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources/1792616-spg-marriott-merger-litmus-test-blogs-waste-your-time.html)

Astrophsx Sep 23, 2016 11:54 am

SPG/Marriott Merger a Litmus Test of Which Blogs Are a Waste of Your Time

I kind of feel like today is the day where you can see who has talent for copy and pasting, who puts a little extra effort, and who really dives into all the details in order to tell the reader what the best deals are.

For example:

MommyPoints - Looks like a pretty common copy and paste job of common knowledge.

FrequentMiler - One of the few bloggers that features the "5 nights and Flights" information. Very detailed analysis.

Ben and Gary - Guess these guys knew all the info ahead of time and were embargoed from posting early. Come on Gary, really a step by step guide on how to link accounts??

Doctor of Credit - Published early based on a leaked Chinese document

MMS - Really weak content, looks like a copy and paste job with little thought. Not even a mention of nights and flights.

ThePointsGuy - Really weak content. Went the same route as Gary giving a step by step guide with screen shots on how to connect accounts. Not only that, Zach decide to just link out to old stories. Didn't these guys get like a 2 or 3 day notice of all the details?? LOL

Edit:
It looks like there are a LOT of blogs that haven't even posted. Frugal Travel Guy which seems to have multiple writers has no story. MileValue has no story.

momoneylessproblems Sep 23, 2016 12:35 pm

I saw "5 nights and Flights" info at dansdeals and danny deal guru also just off top of my head. it should have been mentioned in other blogs as well. i feel like my twitter feed is more than 50% Marriott merger posts

it's hard to tell who copies who :)

iadisgreat Sep 23, 2016 12:42 pm

I don't think we really needed more than one post per blogger to go over this stuff, but, well, I guess that's why I am not a successful blogger.

momoneylessproblems Sep 23, 2016 12:53 pm

everyone i squeezing like 5 posts out of this. how to link. how to transfer. status match. night and flights. and I'm sure they'll come up with some others

nineworldseries Sep 23, 2016 1:25 pm

But what do you think about the Starwood/Marriott merger? Let me know in the comments!

Astrophsx Sep 23, 2016 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by nineworldseries (Post 27253627)
But what do you think about the Starwood/Marriott merger? Let me know in the comments!

Followed by a post of top 5 Marriott hotels I'm thinking about visiting! You can too with these credit cards.

Troopers Sep 23, 2016 2:46 pm

Looks TPG is in the pole position with this:

http://thepointsguy.com/2016/09/post...-marriott-spg/

josephstern Sep 23, 2016 3:05 pm

If you can't link these accounts on your own, you shouldn't be using a computer.

ctownflyer Sep 23, 2016 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by momoneylessproblems (Post 27253303)
I saw "5 nights and Flights" info at dansdeals

Went into analysis mode with 3 posts from 12:30AM-3AM. Lots more to still cover, but I think I covered the basics.
Astrophsx, I can't link to my posts per FT rules, but feel free to judge them :p

Astrophsx Sep 23, 2016 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer (Post 27254135)
Went into analysis mode with 3 posts from 12:30AM-3AM. Lots more to still cover, but I think I covered the basics.
Astrophsx, I can't link to my posts per FT rules, but feel free to judge them :p

I like that you break things down into bullet points and all the information is digestible in that you really don't need to use all the photos provided by brand's media team.

Any reason for not covering the 5 nights + miles?

ctownflyer Sep 23, 2016 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Astrophsx (Post 27254188)
I like that you break things down into bullet points and all the information is digestible in that you really don't need to use all the photos provided by brand's media team.

Any reason for not covering the 5 nights + miles?

I mentioned them in the comments to someone who said 7 nights is too long for him, but from what I've seen the vast majority of agents won't sell those packages to regular members. I tend to shy away from the YMMV stuff as that creates lots of frustrated readers and comments.

To be honest though I've never been a Marriott guy, so CMIIW.

84fiero Sep 23, 2016 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern (Post 27254090)
If you can't link these accounts on your own, you shouldn't be using a computer.

Amen!:D

Originally Posted by ctownflyer (Post 27254229)
I mentioned them in the comments to someone who said 7 nights is too long for him, but from what I've seen the vast majority of agents won't sell those packages to regular members. I tend to shy away from the YMMV stuff as that creates lots of frustrated readers and comments.

To be honest though I've never been a Marriott guy, so CMIIW.

Pretty good approach on YMMV type things, I think.

sbm12 Sep 23, 2016 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer (Post 27254135)
I can't link to my posts per FT rules,

Sure you can. Just have to note that in the post.

Originally Posted by FT Rules
If linking to your own blog, to a blog on behalf of someone, or to a blog of which you are a periodic or regular contributor, you must identify that fact in your post and you must include enough content for the FlyerTalk post to stand on its own without following the link. Do not post repeatedly in a manner that has the effect or purpose of driving traffic to a blog or website.

ctownflyer Sep 24, 2016 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 27255053)
Sure you can. Just have to note that in the post.

I can't just give him links to the 3 posts I've made so far, I would have to include enough content from each of those 3 posts so that he wouldn't have to click to look at those posts.
That's more work than I cared to do.

oliver2002 Sep 26, 2016 2:27 am

One troll post and 6 responses thereto deleted.

Regards Oliver2002
Mod EM&PR forum