FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   External Miles and Points Resources (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources-723/)
-   -   Road Warriorette on NPR (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources/1785473-road-warriorette-npr.html)

Astrophsx Aug 17, 2016 9:13 pm

Road Warriorette on NPR

Was listening to NPR on my way home this evening and there was a story about American Airlines. Road Warriorette was interviewed about airline delays. Within the first 30 seconds they stated that writer of Road Warriorette did not want her name mentioned in the story:

Sarah, a corporate training professional based in Texas, is a frequent flier and writes the travel blog Road Warriorette. (She didn't want her last name used because her employer doesn't know about her blog.)
NPR Story

Just curious here... but why wouldn't she want her employer to know about the blog? A simple Google search brings up her photo.

MSPeconomist Aug 21, 2016 4:37 pm

Some employers prohibit those in professional positions from having additional jobs, in some cases extending to free-lance consulting and other forms of earned income. In other cases, the outside work would need to be disclosed and would be subject to strict time limits and reporting of the details.

Still, if her photo is out there, it can't really be secret if someone either notices or decides to search.

cruisr Aug 21, 2016 5:45 pm

If she is a corporate training professional maybe the company she works for is a consulting company that charges clients for the training. Might look like she is traveling on their clients dime too much, so to speak. Just a guess.

A simple google search comes up with her first name, last name and lots of articles.

FallenPlat Aug 21, 2016 6:01 pm

Anyone doing something VERY public on the side of which his employer might not approve would want to keep his employment connection as far, far away as possible.

You can trust me on this one. I ought to know.

Also, I've tried to like this blog, but I can't. I'm a guy, I never check, and I don't overpack. I'm also not still wet behind the ears.

I guess I'm not in the target audience -- times four. Too bad for me.

Astrophsx Aug 22, 2016 2:37 pm

I was just curious as it sounded a bit odd to my ears that NPR included that she didn't want her last name in the story (included in the audio version of the story as well). The first thing that came to my mind when they said this on air was that she was writing her blog while on the clock at her other job. I now see other reasons why she might not include her full name on the blog... just a bit weird that they included this info in the story.

If I wrote a blog and didn't want my employer to know I would come up with a pen name. Seems a bit stupid to go on NPR or any other nationally broadcasted media outlet when you are trying to keep it a secret from your employer.

cruisr Aug 22, 2016 3:10 pm

Yeah, I wonder if her employer knows she brings her husband and kids on business trips according to one of the articles I read.

emrdoc Aug 24, 2016 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr (Post 27103669)
Yeah, I wonder if her employer knows she brings her husband and kids on business trips according to one of the articles I read.

What's wrong with that? Pretty common occurrence.

cruisr Aug 25, 2016 8:38 am

Originally Posted by emrdoc (Post 27115443)
What's wrong with that? Pretty common occurrence.

Agreed but some employers do not like it and prohibit it.