FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   External Miles and Points Resources (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources-723/)
-   -   Travel Update (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources/1781512-travel-update.html)

Raffles Jul 29, 2016 4:15 pm

Travel Update

Can someone help me out with this because I am a bit confused? ;)

Travel Update was Barbara's blog which she ran independently and then for a while at Boarding Area. She had to drop it when she went to work with American.

Travel Update has now re-emerged as a multi-author site:
http://travelupdate.boardingarea.com/our-bloggers/

However, as per the URL above, it sits under Boarding Area.

I'm not entirely clear who owns it, who oversees it and what it is meant to bring to the party. A few of the blogs seem to be genuine travel (as opposed to miles) sites but there are a couple of those mixed in as well.

sbm12 Jul 29, 2016 8:05 pm

It is, in fact, a multi-author site. The name is one that "House of Miles" bought/owns and it is being repurposed for this effort after the short time it was used as a solo blog. It has been described as a way to help bring new writers into the fold without requiring the full-time commitment of maintaining a solo site. Each writer will have their own brand but they all sit under the Travel Update umbrella.

It is owned and operated by the same people who own the Boarding Area and Prior2Boarding brands. It is overseen by that group as well AFAIK.

RFDMinnesota Jul 30, 2016 4:05 pm

Soo, It's an aggregator... Inside of an aggregator...

Pass the popcorn

gpapadop Jul 31, 2016 7:40 am

Really confusing....So, where does Inside Flyer come into this?

#aggregatorfatigue

I have added Travel Update to Feedly and so far, let's just say, no blog post was even remotely considered to be added in my eclectic aggregator blog :) Will give it a little bit more time...

Raffles Jul 31, 2016 11:17 am

I think BA is 100% Randy owned whilst IF has a broader shareholding a la Milepoint.

Renes Points Jul 31, 2016 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by gpapadop (Post 26993534)
Really confusing....So, where does Inside Flyer come into this?

#aggregatorfatigue

It's not really hard. Think baseball.

BA: The Majors
P2B: AAA ball
TU: AA ball

Bloggers move up as they show quality work and number of readers / views.

Inside Flyer think: USA Today

gpapadop Jul 31, 2016 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Renes Points (Post 26994600)
P2B: AA ball
TU: AAA ball

Thanks, I appreciate the response.

I guess it is all based on page views then :p

sbm12 Jul 31, 2016 2:28 pm

Pretty sure you swapped AAA and AA there (AAA is above AA in the real world).

Renes Points Jul 31, 2016 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 26994865)
Pretty sure you swapped AAA and AA there (AAA is above AA in the real world).

Right. Agree with comparison?

Renes Points Jul 31, 2016 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by gpapadop (Post 26994828)
Thanks, I appreciate the response.

I guess it is all based on page views then :p

All the metrics matter but that is a big part. Look at all the Google status for a good overview (if you track those on your personal site).

kokonutz Jul 31, 2016 3:36 pm

You are confused: AAA>AA.

IMHO there are two levels: the four TITANS (TPG, MMS, VFTW and OMAAT) and everyone else.

IME when it comes to quality and integrity there are also only 2 levels: Wandering Aramean and everyone else.

Renes Points Jul 31, 2016 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz (Post 26995125)
IMHO there are two levels: the four TITANS (TPG, MMS, VFTW and OMAAT) and everyone else.

IME when it comes to quality and integrity there are also only 2 levels: Wandering Aramean and everyone else.

You are entitled to your incorrect opinions :rolleyes:

kokonutz Jul 31, 2016 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Renes Points (Post 26995133)
You are entitled to your incorrect opinions :rolleyes:

Sorry, bud, but I am THE THOUGHT LEADER in Points and Miles Blogs, Seminars, Charters and Websites.

My opinions and thoughts are not only correct, they LEAD. @:-)

Perhaps your (confused) categorization of the RandyBlogs are how they are sold. But that's not how they are.

Renes Points Jul 31, 2016 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz (Post 26995218)
Sorry, bud, but I am THE THOUGHT LEADER in Points and Miles Blogs, Seminars, Charters and Websites.

My opinions and thoughts are not only correct, they LEAD. @:-)

Perhaps your (confused) categorization of the RandyBlogs are how they are sold. But that's not how they are.

Will let others bring you back to Earth :rolleyes:

cruisr Jul 31, 2016 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz (Post 26995125)
You are confused: AAA>AA

It's time like this I wish FT had a like button. You can always count on WA to be honest and deliver quality posts. Because I always read his posts I have traveled to many places so I could duplicate the wonderful experiences he has written about. Two places in particular come to mind: Luang Prabang and Lubljiana. That and the tools such as Hotel Hustle that he makes available for free makes him number one BA blogger IMHO. No one close.