Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MMS joins TPG at Bankrate

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2016, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
MMS joins TPG at Bankrate

So the rumors were true. MMS gets bought out by Bankrate too. And it retains complete publishing control, LOL. Blah blah blah...
Anyone know the $ amount please PM me
Old May 26, 2016, 7:16 am

Maybe this was just the easiest way to cash out certain parties who are no longer wanting to be part of MMS.
Old May 26, 2016, 8:02 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
But it's still all just about love of the hobby and giving back, NOT about the money!
Old May 26, 2016, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maverick17
Maybe this was just the easiest way to cash out certain parties who are no longer wanting to be part of MMS.
this.

depending on how much it would have cost to buy partner's share.

presumably bankrate's stake (in both) is less than IB's stake in FTG.

this also confirms MMS is top 3 / #3.
Old May 26, 2016, 12:36 pm

Programs: All of Them
word on the street is they received between $texas-$eleventy for the site
Old May 26, 2016, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Back and forth with Drew on Twitter on MMS:

https://twitter.com/TravelisFree/sta...66740987416577
Old May 26, 2016, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by gpapadop
Back and forth with Drew on Twitter on MMS:

https://twitter.com/TravelisFree/sta...66740987416577
This is too funny. Didn't Drew get his boost from being featured on MMS. I had not heard of him before George mentioned him on TBB. I do wish Drew would say how long he is going to not be blogging. I do miss his posts

I guess selling now and splitting it all gets rid of the alimony payments in the future.
Old May 26, 2016, 7:27 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
TWITTER WAR!!!!

Sigh
Old May 26, 2016, 8:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Do people really think this is going to change the content? It was always basically CC ads anyways, wasn't it?
Old May 26, 2016, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
Do people really think this is going to change the content? It was always basically CC ads anyways, wasn't it?
Pretty much. Oh wait, CC ads plus photos with big colorful arrows and circles! So glad that Bankrate won't disturb that fine content!
Old May 27, 2016, 9:35 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
The MMS post says the "transition" has been taking place "over the past many months".

Can anyone say why they're telling people now -- did they decide to disclose or were they obliged to do so (e.g. for some regulatory reason)?
Old May 27, 2016, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

did they disclose after bankrate disclosed
Old May 27, 2016, 9:53 am

It is always annoying when people complain about this being a "hobby" and then they're irritated when others monetize that hobby.

I do many things that I consider a hobby, but others make a business out of. For example, I play tennis as a hobby. I don't complain when companies make a tennis racket or tennis shoes and then advertise them and I buy them. It's my hobby, but it is their business. Let's not kid ourselves, TPG/MMS/FTG all found ways to monetize something and mazel tov to them.

The complainers forget that there are people in the world that like reading the blogs because they can go to one place and get their information and find a place to apply for a card. They are providing a service that some people find worthwhile.

Do people get irate about award bookers? After all, why should they charge for booking a flight for someone that the person could do themselves? I hope that they make tons of money. After all, they have an expertise and plenty of people are happy to pay them instead of doing it themselves.

Yes, I'm sure people are mad that they get ideas from FT and repost them, but that's ok. If you don't like it, don't read their blog. If you find your stuff being stolen, don't post it in a public forum.

I don't care if someone puts a link out there and I end up with a cookie that gives someone credit. Mazel tov for them to being smart and successful.

The only thing that is really a bit distasteful is if they put a link to a credit card for 40k points and there is another link that is available for 50k points and they don't point that out. But then again, if I go to the mall, should Macy's be responsible to tell me that the 6pack of socks can be purchased for $3 less down at Kohls? Not their job.

I enjoy getting my cards and travelling (and I pay for plenty as well) as much as the next guy. But don't begrudge someone for monetizing it. GOD BLESS AMERICA! MAZEL TOV TO THOSE THAT CAN.

Sorry, end of my mini rant. It just aggravates me when people complain about others making money in this "hobby". And I won't capitalize it either!
Old May 27, 2016, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

farbster, what post in this thread are you referring to ?

the following is a valid opinion regarding reality/transparency

Originally Posted by 84fiero
But it's still all just about love of the hobby and giving back, NOT about the money!
lack of 'transparency' applies to all businesses/industries
Old May 27, 2016, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
farbster, what post in this thread are you referring to ?

the following is valid opinion regarding reality/transparency
And my post was merely a reference to the usual suspects that will always come along and tell us we are "angry" or have no right to critique large, commercially operated blogs because they're allegedly doing it all our of generosity, "giving back to the community", etc. (and also as a dig at the OMAAT's "The Hobby" nonsense).

I don't know whether some people don't think a blogger should make money from something that others do for free - as an actual hobby. I certainly have never espoused that position. Nor would I know whether even "commercial" bloggers may not also being doing things that are charitable or even altruistic in their motives. There is nothing wrong with finding a way to make money from something that one also enjoys or which grew from something that was originally done for free. But it also doesn't immunize them from critiques of their work, services, or products.

Heck, the fact that MMS suckered Bankrate into paying more than $1 for that blog, good for him. Just continues to provide PT Barnum right!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.