Reload this Page >

Alaska confirms: 'travel hackers' killed their Emirates Offerings

Alaska confirms: 'travel hackers' killed their Emirates Offerings

Old Apr 1, 2016, 7:55 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
To continue the blame-shifting game started by Alaska, here's Ben (trying to) shift the blame: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...ruining-deals/
Aw. Looks like Lucky is feeling guilty and feels the need to deflect blame. Poor kid. Sorry, strike that. RICH kid.

Originally Posted by whlinder
With this type of outrage towards a generally minor change I can't wait for airlines to move to full dynamic pricing for both money and awards. The hysterics will be amazing.
Wait...DYNAMIC pricing for awards!!?? That is RIDICULOUS! Allowing supply and demand algorithms to determine price!?

An AIRLINE. Allowing SUPPLY and DEMAND algorithms. To determine....price?

Wait a minute.

WAAAAAAAH! Miles are DIFFERENT!!!!!!

Because.....um.....
Old Apr 1, 2016, 10:54 pm

Programs: Currently: UA 1K | Previously: AS MVPG75K, SPG Gold, Kimpton IC, HH Gold
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Aw. Looks like Lucky is feeling guilty and feels the need to deflect blame. Poor kid. Sorry, strike that. RICH kid.

Wait...DYNAMIC pricing for awards!!?? That is RIDICULOUS! Allowing supply and demand algorithms to determine price!?

Wait a minute.

Because.....um.....
...because cheap is better and I want cheap, good, and available simultaneously! And I want it forever!
Old Apr 1, 2016, 11:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Very interesting all around. It was AS who established their redemption levels, and Alaska acknowledges that they have always known this to be "below-market levels"...or an "exceptionally good deal" depending on which sentence you read. In general I think it's poor form to blame consumers for using a system that the company has established - no one forced AS to set up those redemption levels to begin with.

That said, however, the lifespan of "exceptionally good deals" seems to often be inversely related to the amount of publicity received...particularly publicity that appears to be bragging or similar. Someone at the company (or US Mint) will want to cut their losses or will be embarrassed and feel compelled to take action.

In this day and age it's hard to keep the lid on anything, so it's unrealistic to somehow hope that no one talks about Fight Club. Enjoy it while you can because deals come and go faster than ever. But I also find it silly that some of the same bloggers complaining were the ones helping to publicize the exceptionally good deal. Can't have your cake and eat it, too.

As for Alaska's implication that they wish they could have given advance notice but were somehow suddenly forced to take action on 31 March 2016, well of course that is bogus. It seems that they did this on purpose to send a message to those that they see as abusers of the system.
It's interesting that the change was announced on March 31st, exactly one day after voting for the Freddie Awards closed on March 30th.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Apr 1, 2016 at 11:23 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 2, 2016, 12:43 am

Cheers to another idiotic blogger: http://pointmetotheplane.boardingare...emption-rates/

why would this person publicize this super ultra-rare exception
Old Apr 2, 2016, 12:49 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
Cheers to another idiotic blogger: http://pointmetotheplane.boardingare...emption-rates/

why would this person publicize this super ultra-rare exception
I don't think it was an exception, a supervisor made a mistake and this blogger wanted to make sure that they got clicks so he/she tried to capitalize on it. Also it was a push for their award booking service and how they were able to get "special exceptions"(not) for their clients. I hope the supervisor didn't get in trouble. It's typical of the behavior of many of these bloggers though so I'm not surprised.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by kokonutz

Wait a minute.

Because.....um.....
Miles are different because you are filling seats which normal supply and demand has failed to fill.

This is why revenue based redemption is stupid.

Lets imagine well-timed flight A is $200 and badly timed flight B is $125. Under revenue based redemption, many people will still choose flight A and fill seats which could have been sold for real cash.

Under the current system, you simply make no seats available for flight A and push people onto flight B to fill seats that would otherwise be unsold.

Unless revenue based redemptions are also capacity controlled they will displace cash paying customers - which benefits no-one. Similarly, those empty J seats will remain empty when a revenue based redemption is 10 x the miles of a Y redemption - which simply pushes more pax into Y where the seats would sell.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 3:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
VFTW says something akin to devaluations propel forward devaluations. And there may be something to that, perhaps even more so with regard to revenue-based-earning-revenue-based-spend programs. No less so when the program units of publicly-traded companies are also under pressure to not only boost profits but also to boost profit margins.

As I've indicated years ago even, program management's drive to boost not only profits but also margins drives forward devaluations too. DL is a case in point of that (and also of having had to foreign lawyer up due to international legal exposure from its program operations).
Old Apr 2, 2016, 5:59 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
As far as I know (which is obviously not much), Bank of America did not have affiliate links for the Alaska Airline cards. But of course repeatedly posting about the Emirates experience continues building the "expert" brand and of course leading to page views/conversions---->money! If Alaska Airlines paid commissions, it would have ended a long time ago! Am I wrong here? This credit card industry is not the most transparent environment!

Alaska Airlines did the right thing here for their company and its shareholders. All the .....ing&moaning is hilarious.They did it simply because they can. It was a bit weird seeing AS's Andre on Twitter responding to tweets though...

As another poster made a comment a few pages ago upthread, this little community is just not that little anymore. This hobby has made leaps & bounds into the mainstream (TPGTV anyone?) and therefore the expected response of tightening up avenues to limit these crazy hackers. While the commercial blogs keep increasing the reach into the lucrative target of people who never had a CSP card before.

It's been a good ride, our best days are behind us. Enjoy it and get your tickets now to FTU to listen to these guys...it is going to be FUN!

https://twitter.com/FlyerTalkerinA2/...23536301391872
Old Apr 2, 2016, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
Miles are different because you are filling seats which normal supply and demand has failed to fill.
Only slightly. As the points are converting more and more to a currency with specific valuation - even in the traditional programs which are not revenue-based to consumers yet - it becomes a matter of points = money to the airline and they sell seats for points if enough points are being redeemed to cover the internal price point set for such. Inventory comes and goes as much based on revenue fares as anything else.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 8:20 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Originally Posted by gpapadop
As far as I know (which is obviously not much), Bank of America did not have affiliate links for the Alaska Airline cards. But of course repeatedly posting about the Emirates experience continues building the "expert" brand and of course leading to page views/conversions---->money! If Alaska Airlines paid commissions, it would have ended a long time ago! Am I wrong here? This credit card industry is not the most transparent environment!

Alaska Airlines did the right thing here for their company and its shareholders. All the .....ing&moaning is hilarious.They did it simply because they can. It was a bit weird seeing AS's Andre on Twitter responding to tweets though...

As another poster made a comment a few pages ago upthread, this little community is just not that little anymore. This hobby has made leaps & bounds into the mainstream (TPGTV anyone?) and therefore the expected response of tightening up avenues to limit these crazy hackers. While the commercial blogs keep increasing the reach into the lucrative target of people who never had a CSP card before.

It's been a good ride, our best days are behind us. Enjoy it and get your tickets now to FTU to listen to these guys...it is going to be FUN!

https://twitter.com/FlyerTalkerinA2/...23536301391872
False. There is an affiliate program with BOA for AS cards. So yes they were making money from the CC mill
Old Apr 2, 2016, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler
False. There is an affiliate program with BOA for AS cards. So yes they were making money from the CC mill
There is also an affiliate program for buying AS points. :-:

And UA, SPG, Hyatt, IHG, Amtrak, WN, VS, KL/AF, Hilton, Club Carlson, Choice and probably a few others.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Wow...the things you learn every day in this "hobby"...

I have never bought any miles/points. Posting about it while making money from readers buying them (which, cough, may have something to do with devaluations) makes me angry Of course it makes sense if someone has a specific trip in mind, can save money by buying them, AND pulls the trigger on booking the award right away....But buying to bank them for later use never made any sense to me...oh wait, encouraging readers to buy them and earn a commission when they do...smh...It's all about the hobby...
Old Apr 2, 2016, 9:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sbm12
There is also an affiliate program for buying AS points. :-:

And UA, SPG, Hyatt, IHG, Amtrak, WN, VS, KL/AF, Hilton, Club Carlson, Choice and probably a few others.
Do they have a way to get cash-back from all points.com transactions made by others? Is it more than 2.5% of the purchase amount?
Old Apr 2, 2016, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Do they have a way to get cash-back from all points.com transactions made by others?
The list I provided above all is via Points.com but is likely not comprehensive. I stopped listing after skimming the first page of the links. I do not know if other transactions also earn commissions after the click or if it only applies to specific products linked in to.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Is it more than 2.5% of the purchase amount?
I believe that the T&Cs say I cannot disclose the commission rates without losing mine. And that's part of my business I'm not willing to give up. The rates may also vary depending on which affiliate portal one uses so I wouldn't want to offer data which might be inaccurate for what others are using.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 9:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sbm12
The list I provided above all is via Points.com but is likely not comprehensive. I stopped listing after skimming the first page of the links. I do not know if other transactions also earn commissions after the click or if it only applies to specific products linked in to.

I believe that the T&Cs say I cannot disclose the commission rates without losing mine. And that's part of my business I'm not willing to give up. The rates may also vary depending on which affiliate portal one uses so I wouldn't want to offer data which might be inaccurate for what others are using.
I had some suspicions about points.com involvement but wasn't sure. Thanks for the info you did provide. I had thought that the commission rates varied by type of transaction and perhaps also by access means.

And those award booking services help people buy points too? Interesting how this works.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.