Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

A blogger holds the power to sell dreams via creditcards [split off from TPG thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A blogger holds the power to sell dreams via creditcards [split off from TPG thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2016, 12:00 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
This is not a joke...Apparently TPG partnering with a non-profit (I think) for financial literacy!!! From the man whose answer in everything has been "get the Chase Sapphire Preferred card!". Ok, the message is good to pay off the balance every month but how many times has that been said compared to "Get the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card!". The hunt for people who never had the CSP card just expands and expands...wow!

Excuse the link to my own Twitter account...not going to link to this blogger...
https://twitter.com/FlyerTalkerinA2/...54028562632704

I tweeted the non-profit that this was very disappointing. We all know the last thing most people need is the "Chase Sapphire Preferred card" (or many others TPG Inc. sells).

I would never in a million years associate Financial Literacy with The Points Guy Inc... #speechless
Old Apr 3, 2016, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Ok, so let's try this.

What's the difference between lobbing out a non-response like "there is no difference" and hoisting the white flag? The preceding post, after all, was substantive and 235 words long.

Everyone has his view, I suppose. Here's mine: there is none.

On another subject, and at least if my own experience is anything to go by, I'd guess that that the financially literate generally find TPG to be mostly unreadable. So there's irony there, to be sure. Or even a chuckle or two.

Of course I might chuckle but someone's still laughing all the way to the bank . . . .
Old Apr 4, 2016, 4:58 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Thanks for counting my post's words guys, I am flattered

That institution never got back to me by the way when I asked how they can justify having TPG contribute to improve Financial Literacy when he actually married the CSP card!

https://saverocity.com/pfdigest/poin...referred-card/
Old Apr 5, 2016, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by ingy

Its kind of like recommending index funds to a prospective client when you have a fiduciary duty and in reality most blindfolded monkeys can do better than those recommendations.

But I digress. Sorry.
Stop digressing. This is crazy talk and evidence that you don't actually know what you're talking about here. There is an ample body of both real world and academic research that demonstrates that "doing better" than an index fund is incredibly rare. Those "blindfolded monkeys" that "do better" consistently have one of two things in common. They either charge disproportionately large fees for high risk strategies and those fees negate any "edge" the manager provides or the manager doesn't take outside money.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 5:48 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by MCIUnitedGuy
Stop digressing. This is crazy talk and evidence that you don't actually know what you're talking about here. There is an ample body of both real world and academic research that demonstrates that "doing better" than an index fund is incredibly rare. Those "blindfolded monkeys" that "do better" consistently have one of two things in common. They either charge disproportionately large fees for high risk strategies and those fees negate any "edge" the manager provides or the manager doesn't take outside money.
Your post proves Ingy's point: no one should ever, ever, ever take financial advice from points and miles bloggers...even former ones.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by MCIUnitedGuy
Stop digressing. This is crazy talk and evidence that you don't actually know what you're talking about here.
Please let him, it' s entertainment.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Or, we can stop trying to sell dreams and attempt to hawk our credit card affiliate links by dangling the carrot of a Residence Inn in Secaucus!

http://millionmilesecrets.com/2016/0...versary-night/

If that's not aspirational enough, how about a Courtyard in a "great location" in Gretna, LA? Or a Fairfield Inn by Charleston airport?
Old Apr 7, 2016, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Or, we can stop trying to sell dreams and attempt to hawk our credit card affiliate links by dangling the carrot of a Residence Inn in Secaucus!

http://millionmilesecrets.com/2016/0...versary-night/

If that's not aspirational enough, how about a Courtyard in a "great location" in Gretna, LA? Or a Fairfield Inn by Charleston airport?
That blog gave me a big laugh today.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 1:55 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by dhammer53
That blog gave me a big laugh today.
Me too, that's some funny stuff!
Old Apr 7, 2016, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
How can you even manage to read that thing? It's fingernails-on-a-blackboard painful.

The last time I even looked at it? The public break up and divorce. Wish I hadn't.

Some dream, huh? Ugh.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 9:31 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ingy
Its kind of like recommending index funds [...] when [...] in reality most blindfolded monkeys can do better
This is one of the stranger claims I've read on FlyerTalk. Where can I find these monkeys?
Old Apr 17, 2016, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by IMH
This is one of the stranger claims I've read on FlyerTalk. Where can I find these monkeys?
When you find them...don't forget to point out to them that their credit is their most important asset

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.