mileageclub.com to buy miles?

Old Feb 16, 16, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Question mileageclub.com to buy miles?

Hi all,

My family and I are planning to fly Korean Air this summer but are short on miles. I was thinking of buying miles on www.themileageclub.com ($0.02/mi). Has anyone done this or have other thoughts on getting miles quickly? I have a week to finalize my flight payment.

Thanks!

Last edited by pinkhighlighter; Feb 16, 16 at 11:26 am
Old Feb 16, 16, 2:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Buying miles anywhere other than approved sites - essentially the airlines directly or points.com - is a risky proposition. Odds are you'll be fine. But there's a very real chance you will not.

I do not think it worth the risk, especially given the variety of ways to legitimately acquire points.
SanDiego1K and hi55us like this.
Old Feb 16, 16, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Buying miles anywhere other than approved sites - essentially the airlines directly or points.com - is a risky proposition. Odds are you'll be fine. But there's a very real chance you will not.

I do not think it worth the risk, especially given the variety of ways to legitimately acquire points.
Thanks for the info. It doesn't look like Korean Air sells miles. I went to points.com and it looks just like a way to manage your points -- not to buy points.

I would love to legitimately acquire miles, but i'm stuck on how to for Korean Air quickly. Perhaps there isn't a way...
Old Feb 16, 16, 10:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
Chase Sapphire Preferred is a Korean Air partner - if you get a card and hit the spend bonus quickly that should do it (even if you don't if you are short just a few miles less than the minimum spend bonus should still be sufficient)
Old Feb 16, 16, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion but we already have the chase Sapphire card.
Old Feb 16, 16, 11:07 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by pinkhighlighter View Post
Thanks for the suggestion but we already have the chase Sapphire card.
Do you have enough points to transfer to KE for your award tickets? If you're close, can you direct spending there quickly enough to get the miles you need? [This is likely to depend on your billing cycle.]
Old Feb 16, 16, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

No, we're over 100k miles short across our tickets.
Old Feb 16, 16, 11:31 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Then it sounds like you need to purchase one or more tickets with money.....or leave part of your family at home.
Old Feb 17, 16, 5:08 am

Exactly, these rates aren't even good... you can buy from United for instance at 1.9 cents instead of buying from a shady reseller for 2 cents.
Old Feb 17, 16, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Yeah, we originally wanted to fly united. We have a lot more miles with them so would only be a little short and then could buy. But united doesn't have seat availability.
Old May 9, 16, 10:17 am

There's a lot of good use for ANA miles but they're hard to get. This website has then for 1.8 to 2.3 cents/mile for >100K miles, depending on your status. If I want them at 1.8, couldn't I just pay the one-month "Gold" membership rate of $19.99, buy the miles, then cancel?
Old Feb 11, 18, 9:48 am
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Does anyone have any more insight on this company?

I initially thought it was just another mileage broker, but since they mention that miles are deposited into one's account, that doesn't seem to be the case. So presumably they buy large blocks of miles from airlines (for "marketing" purposes) that thycan presumably freely deposit into members' accounts?

Not being able to pay by credit card is a major red flag though. Not interested in doing business with them, but would be curious if anyone knows more about this scheme.
Old Feb 11, 18, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by Jasper2009 View Post
Does anyone have any more insight on this company?

I initially thought it was just another mileage broker, but since they mention that miles are deposited into one's account, that doesn't seem to be the case. So presumably they buy large blocks of miles from airlines (for "marketing" purposes) that thycan presumably freely deposit into members' accounts?

Not being able to pay by credit card is a major red flag though. Not interested in doing business with them, but would be curious if anyone knows more about this scheme.
That's not how it works. Brokers work mainly with holders of Business credit cards in the US who charge hundreds of thousands monthly to their accounts.

When you buy miles, the broker asks the seller to add you as an authorised user to their business credit card. The miles can then be transferred directly into your mileage account.
Old Feb 11, 18, 2:11 pm
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
That's not how it works. Brokers work mainly with holders of Business credit cards in the US who charge hundreds of thousands monthly to their accounts.

When you buy miles, the broker asks the seller to add you as an authorised user to their business credit card. The miles can then be transferred directly into your mileage account.
Thanks for the information! In that case it's indeed that's shady at best.
Old Feb 11, 18, 2:18 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by pinkhighlighter View Post
Yeah, we originally wanted to fly united. We have a lot more miles with them so would only be a little short and then could buy. But united doesn't have seat availability.
do not buy miles from brokers. What happens when you show up at the airport and Korean has cancelled all your tickets due to fraud? Is it worth the risk? And who is to say you will have the miles you are buying “in one weeks time”?

Dont do it honestly it’s not worth it

Search this Thread