Time to defraud the wifi companies!

Old Jan 31, 16, 6:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Time to defraud the wifi companies!

Both VFTW and OMMAT are now suggesting travelers buy routers to share their wifi connection amongst devices on a single payment. Never mind that the T&C explicitly prohibit such....

On the plus side, the links to the hardware are affiliate links, so that part is solid.
Old Jan 31, 16, 7:29 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
I wonder how ScottC feels about them telling people to rip his company off after all he and his company have done for them and their ventures...
Old Jan 31, 16, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Both VFTW and OMMAT are now suggesting travelers buy routers to share their wifi connection amongst devices on a single payment.
Can you really blame them, though, when wi-fi purchased on board prices out at $40 on my AA flights?
Old Jan 31, 16, 8:11 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
Can you really blame them, though, when wi-fi purchased on board prices out at $40 on my AA flights?
Caviar is expensive too. Doesn't mean bloggers should encourage folks to steal it.

Suggesting people use the rules to their advantage is one thing. Encouraging people to break them is something else.
Old Jan 31, 16, 8:29 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Both VFTW and OMMAT are now suggesting travelers buy routers to share their wifi connection amongst devices on a single payment. Never mind that the T&C explicitly prohibit such....

On the plus side, the links to the hardware are affiliate links, so that part is solid.
Hey now, don't be so hard on them, as Lucky points out

You can usually switch between devices, but that requires signing out and then signing in again, which can be time consuming.
I mean, he might lose as many as 30 seconds of time logging out then back in!
Old Feb 1, 16, 10:15 am

I thought these guys were your blogging friends. Have you tried contacting them directly about this? Maybe you can help them see the ethical/legal questions you seem to have raised?
Old Feb 1, 16, 11:57 am

Were the T&C's discussed in the comments section?

Last edited by Astrophsx; Feb 1, 16 at 12:10 pm
Old Feb 1, 16, 1:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JetAway View Post
Have you tried contacting them directly about this?
No. And I have no reason to.
Originally Posted by Astrophsx View Post
Were the T&C's discussed in the comments section?
I left a comment on one. It was moderated and I assume will not be published; it has not been yet, nearly 24 hours later.
Old Feb 1, 16, 2:54 pm

I'm sure it will post in 2 more days after no one cares about the comments =)
Old Feb 6, 16, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Gogo starts throttling a connection after about 40 megabytes in an hour. Good luck sharing that.

Everywhere else, I've rarely seen pay-per-connection. At most hotels, for instance, once you've paid for wifi, you can add a number of devices without needing to fuss with a router.

And you don't need to bother with external devices if you're traveling with a laptop. Modern hardware and operating systems allow you to do this kind of thing with just your computer.

Search this Thread