FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   External Miles and Points Resources (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources-723/)
-   -   Mommy Points - Chase Affiliate Links Ending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources/1730313-mommy-points-chase-affiliate-links-ending.html)

gpapadop Feb 12, 2016 6:43 am

"Nothing will change on the blog" -------------> Just a lot less Chase card coverage and links.

TMM1982 Feb 12, 2016 6:56 am

Originally Posted by gpapadop (Post 26172963)
"Nothing will change on the blog" -------------> Just a lot less Chase card coverage and links.

:D

oliver2002 Feb 12, 2016 7:39 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero (Post 26172917)
:confused: She includes a link to the [Ongoing offers] Now 80K points, free night, AF not waived, Marriott Premier Visa FlyerTalk thread that contains not only application links but also discussions on the card/offers.

Isn't that exactly what the angry readers advocated for years ago? ^

84fiero Feb 12, 2016 7:52 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 26173218)

Yep...the link takes you to the thread with the direct CC links in the Wiki and gives credit/link to FlyerTalk. Damned if you do, damned if you don't I guess.

TMM1982 Feb 12, 2016 9:57 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero (Post 26173289)
Yep...the link takes you to the thread with the direct CC links in the Wiki and gives credit/link to FlyerTalk. Damned if you do, damned if you don't I guess.

If she would have done this from the start that would be one thing. But she only made the switch after Chase pulled her affiliate revenue. So it's disingenuous on her part.

FallenPlat Feb 12, 2016 10:53 am

In what alternate universe is doing the right thing "disingenuous"?

In my universe, doing the right thing is just what it sounds like -- doing the right thing.

SanDiego1K Feb 12, 2016 1:15 pm

She linked to this FlyerTalk thread. And there's a subset of people who criticize? **scratches head in confusion**

CodeAdam10 Feb 12, 2016 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 26173218)

Originally Posted by 84fiero (Post 26173289)

Originally Posted by FallenPlat (Post 26174195)

In my universe, doing the right thing is just what it sounds like -- doing the right thing.

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 26174937)
She linked to this FlyerTalk thread. And there's a subset of people who criticize? **scratches head in confusion**

Linking to Flyertalk is not the new motto for this blog. Affiliate links are being pumped for other cards where a commission is available. MommyPoints chose not to link (even once) to the Marriott offer to make it 'easier' for her readers.

As posted earlier ... an example of another (recent) blog post where a commission is available:

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10 (Post 26172942)
Right. Compare that to a post 2 days ago about the (targeted) AmEx Plat 100k offer... http://mommypoints.boardingarea.com/...num-cardmatch/

I count at least 3 direct (affiliate) links to creditcards.com CardMatch, encouraging people to click-through to see if they qualify. Completely different tone for commission vs no commission. Petty.

If this isn't a double-standard based on commission or no-commission, then what is it?

bthotugigem05 Feb 12, 2016 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10 (Post 26175216)
Linking to Flyertalk is not the new motto for this blog. Affiliate links are being pumped for other cards where a commission is available. MommyPoints chose not to link (even once) to the Marriott offer to make it 'easier' for her readers.

As posted earlier ... an example of another (recent) blog post where a commission is available:

If this isn't a double-standard based on commission or no-commission, then what is it?

You can get into some trouble linking directly to a credit card offer without an affiliate agreement in place with them. It makes no sense to link to an offer unless it's your link simply due to the number of disclosures and requirements they hold you to.

kokonutz Feb 12, 2016 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10 (Post 26175216)

I am shocked, SHOCKED, to learn that bloggers care more about money than integrity!!!!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-EfUAFljXsF...ed+shocked.png

SanDiego1K Feb 12, 2016 3:15 pm

I respect her for writing about a credit card offer that truly is good for readers without any personal gain.

ctownflyer Feb 12, 2016 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 26175553)
I respect her for writing about a credit card offer that truly is good for readers without any personal gain.

Erm, she does get a commission if they follow her instructions in bold at the beginning of the post,
"If you wish to support the site while adding a credit card to your wallet, you can view available offers by issuing banks by heading here. Your support is greatly appreciated."

SanDiego1K Feb 12, 2016 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer (Post 26175595)
Erm, she does get a commission if they follow her instructions in bold at the beginning of the post,
"If you wish to support the site while adding a credit card to your wallet, you can view available offers by issuing banks by heading here. Your support is greatly appreciated."

And when you follow that link, there are no Chase offers.

TMM1982 Feb 12, 2016 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by FallenPlat (Post 26174195)

She's only doing "the right thing" after Chase told her to buzz off. In other words, she's being vindictive as she's not doing "the right thing" with respect to other banks.

satz Feb 13, 2016 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by TMM1982 (Post 26175660)
She's only doing "the right thing" after Chase told her to buzz off. In other words, she's being vindictive as she's not doing "the right thing" with respect to other banks.

+1 When Chase was paying a boatload of money for Ink cards, she even suggested people to sign up with a "dog sitting" business. Now I hear crickets about the Ink cards. They somehow stopped existing.

If that's not disingenuous, I don't know what it is then.