Wiki Posts
Search

Mommy Points - Chase Affiliate Links Ending

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2015, 4:20 pm
Formerly known as iahsumr

Originally Posted by josephstern
Did she do OK staying home alone?
You know she was gunning for her own Home Alone remake, but decided against it at the last minute and decided to stay with grandparents around the corner.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Mommy Points
Thought I would briefly weigh in...

The miles and points blogging world is so different than it was when I started five years ago and even so different than roughly two years ago. The various ways to monetize your site beyond a hobby blog are also so different than they were. It is still a very evolving and maturing medium.

The volume of traffic required to do business with various entities today is different than it was at any point in the past, and likely it will be even more different going forward. I'm sure the type of traffic you have will be even more relevant in the future as data and metrics are even easier to capture and measure.

In terms of content on my site, it was always first and foremost about things everyday families can do to travel more for less. It always was, and it presumably always will be. Mainly, that's just where my interests happen to be. A handful of fancy miles and points redemptions taken while we had a pretty self-sufficient four year old at home (and grandparents nearby) knowing we were planning to very soon head back into the infant years didn't change that. In fact, I strongly encourage families to take those sort of trips when you have the chance between little kids since the infant years are really not the time to do it!

I can see how to those who didn't know our long term plan it looked at the time like a shift, but it was never a shift, it was a planned blip. Either way, I can assure you that writing about fancy redemptions increases, not decreases, traffic, but that was never going to make-up the majority of my content since it does not make up the majority of my travels.

I'm lucky to have been able to pay the bills writing about stuff that I love for over four years, and I hope to be so lucky as to find a way to keep doing it for many more. Only time will tell. For those of you who do read the site, even if only on occasion, thank you.
Our "little one" is now not so little but when you started I liked seeing a P&M blogger with a family angle - and still do. While the toddler focused posts obviously aren't my cup of tea anymore I do still read your blog from time to time, and think it has a pretty down to earth style as opposed to many of your BA neighbors.

There's nothing wrong with traveling in style affordably or taking parents' getaways when you can! I'm sure the Chase changes aren't the end of the world and you'll keep rollin' on.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 8:23 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
There has been a long trending downwards slip of advertising revenue across the industry and especially Boarding Area. So, when you combine it with a mega hit revenue driver like Chase credit card apps I just don't see these blogs continue making a living out of it. So I predicted that 2016 will be the year that many smaller blogs will die or go back to an occasional post here and there, you know, like a true hobby

All the best to Mommy Points in the future. I haven't read your blog in a very long time other than this bye bye Chase post that a reader alerted me to, nothing personal.

I bet there will be many less posts about Chase credit cards going forward!

So who has direct Chase links left other than TPG, MMS, FTG, VFTW and OMAAT?

Now excuse moi while I go back to crying for losing my lifetime Fairmont Platinums status in the next year #sosad
Old Dec 12, 2015, 11:30 am

I first posted this observation on the best blog of all:

http://travelbloggerbuzz.com

Everyone should go over there and take a look and buy something.

Back to Mommy Points: She has run her blog in a far more reader-friendly manner than many of her fellow fellows. Some would call that being more ethical, but who am I to judge?

Example: Last spring, Chase came out with a UA credit card with a 50,000 UA miles sign-up bonus, and gave its network of blogger affilitiates (don't call them salesmen) a link. which I think paid a commission to the blogger. So far, so fair.

Then someone discovered that there was a legit, backdoor way to get the same 50k points, PLUS a $50 statement credit, but with that link and offer, I don't think the blogger was paid by Chase. On one prominent blog, this was noted and the blogger said he would research the matter, Does anyone know where to find the follow-up, and whether the story with the commissioned link was edited?

Another prominent blog also had comments pointing out the better deal. One comment suggested the blogger just leave a tip jar so readers could toss him $50 on the way out. I did not see a correction there either, though I would love someone to show me that there was.

Mommy Points wrote up the 50k bonus, but also mentioned the better deal and, as i recall, how to get it. To be clear, that's where the reader, you and me, would get an additional $50 but she would likely not get paid. And now Chase pulls the plug, perhaps thinking she didn't get enough sign-ups.

Well, Clinton used to say "If you want a friend in Washington, get a dog". I'm not sure where you turn if you want a fair shake from these bloggers. But while MP is no Mother Teresa, you might start with her.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 12:22 pm

Programs: IAMAW Local 368/HAL 2 Star Mariner
Four year olds can be self sufficient?

EDIT: just read the post again and saw that the four year old was left home alone. So....The four year old was running the house? I just want to make sure I'm reading this correctly....

-LPDAL

Last edited by LPDAL; Dec 12, 2015 at 12:28 pm
Old Dec 12, 2015, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LPDAL

EDIT: just read the post again and saw that the four year old was left home alone. So....The four year old was running the house? I just want to make sure I'm reading this correctly....

-LPDAL
No, she stayed with her grandparents.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 1:23 pm
Formerly known as iahsumr

Originally Posted by LPDAL

-LPDAL
I'm assuming you are kidding thinking that we left our four year old home alone for a week while we went to the Maldives, but just in case....

Self sufficient in kid speak = can wipe own bottom, play happily for a while, eat normal food, communicate needs without crying. In other words, not a huge burden to care for in our absence.

Grandparents nearby = daughter can therefore keep similar routine, go to school, etc while staying with them.

And now I will crawl back out of the flyertalk cave since this all went so well.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: IAMAW Local 368/HAL 2 Star Mariner
Originally Posted by 84fiero
No, she stayed with her grandparents.
Thank you for clarifying without any snarkiness.

-LPDAL
Old Dec 13, 2015, 5:24 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Do I have to wonder if there are a bunch of jealous people that complain about FT-spin-off bloggers because they sort of made this hobby into a tool to manufacture some money and have "15 minutes of fame"?

Originally Posted by TMM1982
So sick of hearing, "I'm just a girl with a laptop." Why not go out and get a desktop if that makes you feel better? I'm sure you can afford it mommy points.
Laptops tend to be more expensive than desktops when wanting the same kind of computing power.

But the fact of the matter is that not all bloggers have the kind of ability and opportunity to scale up to be large enough to be valuable enough to some of the bigger banks.

Even with a more expensive laptop than a comparably powerful desktop, a mother with two young kids probably has different challenges than the single/dual-income no kid types.

Mommypoints.boardingarea.com didn't seem as bad a seller of credit card deals as some of the other sites out there, and it's been one of the blogs that has had some of the more interesting items that I've found useful and not just a knock-off or knocked-off content provider.

I wish her the best of luck in making up the lost revenue from the dropped affiliate relationship. The more ski deals she can find, the better.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 6:19 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
We will all be better off when all banks leave the "I started this blog to show my friends and family how to fly for free, look at me in my First Class lie flat bed seat eating caviar and drinking Krug on my way to the over the water bungalow in the Maldives and you can do it too by clicking on my credit cards, hurry!" "travel" blogger market...

Anyways, something I just noticed as I type this comments. On the bottom of the page (and pretty much ALL OVER Boarding Area) you see the ads selling the Amex Platinum for just a 40k signing bonus when we all (should) know that there are much better ways to get the card! And nobody says anything. The other day OMAAT made a separate post pumping the crap out of it and then it amuses me when people complain about my pumping and then even link to these blog posts!

At the top of this page I see an ad for MileCards. I am not sure who is behind this operation but here is a site that offers original and helpful content that respects its readers.

One of these days I will install an ad blocker

Mountain Trader: Thanks a lot for the kind words.

Recently, I linked to this blog post that I think explains a lot about blogging in general:

http://financialuproar.com/2015/11/3...cial-blogging/

One thing about Mommy Points I admired is the way she interacted with complaining "angry's", always level headed with respect.

At the end of the day, we are down to big three legacy airlines, we are losing SPG, Fairmont and Kimpton, and banks are making it harder for us churners along with continued large devaluations as MS deals are getting restricted left and right. Still value in this game? Yes. But not as much...At this rate...
Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:08 am

So petty that MommyPoints can't even provide a single link to a CC offer she's blogging about probably because she isn't getting a commission on it any longer. http://mommypoints.boardingarea.com/2016/02/11/30345/

Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
So petty that MommyPoints can't even provide a single link to a CC offer she's blogging about probably because she isn't getting a commission on it any longer. http://mommypoints.boardingarea.com/2016/02/11/30345/

Agreed. Very spiteful.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10

She includes a link to the [Ongoing offers] Now 80K points, free night, AF not waived, Marriott Premier Visa FlyerTalk thread that contains not only application links but also discussions on the card/offers.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:33 am
Suspended

She includes a link to the [Ongoing offers] Now 80K points, free night, AF not waived, Marriott Premier Visa FlyerTalk thread that contains not only application links but also discussions on the card/offers.
It's different than it use to be. She use to have direct links to CC apps.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982
It's different than it use to be. She use to have direct links to CC apps.
Right. Compare that to a post 2 days ago about the (targeted) AmEx Plat 100k offer... http://mommypoints.boardingarea.com/...num-cardmatch/

I count at least 3 direct (affiliate) links to creditcards.com CardMatch, encouraging people to click-through to see if they qualify. Completely different tone for commission vs no commission. Petty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.