FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   External Miles and Points Resources (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources-723/)
-   -   Does being a blogger mean you have to be an idiot? Free AS companion pass giveaway (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources/1704255-does-being-blogger-mean-you-have-idiot-free-companion-pass-giveaway.html)

seat17D Aug 20, 2015 5:38 pm

Does being a blogger mean you have to be an idiot? Free AS companion pass giveaway

http://thepointsoflife.boardingarea....fare-giveaway/

First he humble brags about the 7 companion passes he has from multiple CC sign ups.

Then he spends yesterday's post dissing the companion pass.

Today he decides there are so worthless he's going to give them away as prizes to his blog readers if they sign up.

IMO, the surest way to get something cut off is to embarrass a corporate desk jockey.

How long until these sign ups become 1x per 24 months? Or worse.

It bugs me when others say it, but this clearly is why we can't have nice things.

thepointsoflife Aug 20, 2015 5:58 pm

im an idiot?

That's pretty bold to say I'm an idiot for questioning the usefulness of the alaska pass. I never said how I got the passes even if it can be inferred. I'm not the one posting in bold letters 'boa let's you apply for 5 alaska cards in one day'. Leave that to MMS among others.

Making people sign up? I just wanted a way to direct message people if they got the companion ticket. I'm sure they could and would stop following thereafter if they chose to. It's not a squeeze page mailer shakedown.

Furthermore, I said in both posts I don't even think I can give away the passes which speaks to how useful they are for me.

The last person to blow a deal by boasting and show boating to corporate is me though I do think it's funny that you think my blog has the same leverage as the big players to bring down the house.

Doc Savage Aug 20, 2015 6:05 pm

You should just be happy he posted a link to your blog.

thepointsoflife Aug 20, 2015 6:16 pm

LOL, any publicity is good publicity?

I'm wholly against deal killing and letting the cat out of the bag even if it has been let out by everyone already.

To that end, I must be the ignorant one of not knowing/seeing the value of the Alaska pass which was the intent of raising the question about its usefulness in the first place. Even the responses I received haven't convinced me that I'm sitting on gold but that's my own opinion.

And because I'm such an 'idiot' I figured why not give the passes to those that could make better use of it.

There's a way to convey a message and to instruct the uninformed that he has committed a faux pas that will prevent such occurrences from happening especially when they were not meant to bring negative attention to a great deal.

CodeAdam10 Aug 20, 2015 6:19 pm

This is creepy.

thepointsoflife signed up for FT and replied within 20 minutes from the time OP posted this thread.

seat17D Aug 20, 2015 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by thepointsoflife (Post 25302875)
LOL, any publicity is good publicity?

I'm wholly against deal killing and letting the cat out of the bag even if it has been let out by everyone already.

If they were to remake "My Cousin Vinnie" for the blogosphere age, this surely would be one of the arguments made in the courtroom scene.

thepointsoflife Aug 20, 2015 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10 (Post 25302889)
This is creepy.

thepointsoflife signed up for FT and replied within 20 minutes from the time OP posted this thread.

It's a pingback on my site. Or I'm lurking in the shadows of flyertalk.

dayone Aug 20, 2015 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by thepointsoflife (Post 25302802)
The last person to blow a deal by boasting and show boating to corporate is me

That defective disclosure can be copied and pasted from just about every FF blog.

thepointsoflife Aug 20, 2015 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by seat17D (Post 25302923)
If they were to remake "My Cousin Vinnie" for the blogosphere age, this surely would be one of the arguments made in the courtroom scene.

Did you say yutes?

Well I am a NY lawyer but it didn't take me 6 times to pass the bar. I get your overall gripe, bloggers kill deals to boost their site numbers but I'm not convinced that's what happened here.

And why is everyone so quit to defend the companion pass like it's a defenseless child. Clearly im still missing something. You want one of them? You can have one without even having to sign up or follow me now that I have creepily announced my presence on flyertalk. Muah ha ha ha

seat17D Aug 20, 2015 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by thepointsoflife (Post 25302944)
It's a pingback on my site. Or I'm lurking in the shadows of flyertalk.

Or maybe we actually are each other's alt-ids??? lol

And this thread is really reverse-reverse-reverse psychology-based marketing effort to get more people to sign up for the blog?

THAT should get the conspiracy theorists going!

Seriously, the more people trumpet the number of companion passes they have, the more likely it is that AS increases its scrutiny of the number of CC bonuses people are racking up. Which they already are starting to do. (to clarify, its not the poor defenseless companion pass I'm concened about, it's the CC sign up bonus ... and numerous other quirks of the program that make it so worthwhile)

If you think the pass is worthless, then they are worthless to you. And that's a personal opinion no one can contest. But better to just keep it to oneself, imo.

AKCuisine Aug 20, 2015 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10 (Post 25302889)
This is creepy.

^ Yes, very creepy. Almost stalker creepy ...

thepointsoflife Aug 20, 2015 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by seat17D (Post 25302992)
Or maybe we actually are each other's alt-ids??? lol

And this thread is really reverse-reverse-reverse psychology-based marketing effort to get more people to sign up for the blog?

THAT should get the conspiracy theorists going!

Seriously, the more people trumpet the number of companion passes they have, the more likely it is that AS increases its scrutiny of the number of CC bonuses people are racking up. Which they already are starting to do.

If you think the pass is worthless, then they are worthless to you. And that's a personal opinion no one can contest. But better to just keep it to oneself, imo.

Yeah I see your point. It was a slow news day and I checked award wallet and said .... Figured it would be a quick post like what to do with these. Crazy how some posts strike a nerve.

That's all for Mr Gambini and Alaska.

notquiteaff Aug 20, 2015 7:22 pm

A travel blogger who didn't have a FT account until, oh, two hours ago?!

ken98230 Aug 20, 2015 7:35 pm

I didn't think they could be transferred easily. Doesn't the holder of the companion pass need to make the reservation?

Jimgotkp Aug 20, 2015 8:13 pm

Pretty simple... CC holder has to make the reservation. The passenger and their companion just pay back the CC holder the fare that they were advanced.