Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:07 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Based on the nature of what TPG has become it is essentially like one of the 'magazines' that credit cards like Amex used to send you for free as part of your membership.
TBD and diburning like this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

agree with above re state of travel media
and real travel journalism has been being gutted
but almost all travel journalism even real was comped

only industry good about disclosure is stock market (SEC?)

Originally Posted by Adam1222
This is patently false and continues to be an insult to the thousands of hardworking, underpaid journalists with integrity, struggling to make ends meet in a culture where the media is attacked every day.
excluding US, one of top publications in EU that is also very highly regarded

employees not at fault, it is owners, managers, editors top down

when did i ever say anything about employees ?
(although some highest paid give bad name)
(remember huffpo? little criticism of its profiteering sale)

i think both of us are 'intending' specifics / narrower that are unclear to other person

who says online equivalent to TPG is not 'worse' ? (but how big is the spectrum...)

when i criticize the media, i am criticizing big business

FTG, TPG, MMS, and another one = have become big business ($ billions)

some 'nonprofits' (and small businesses) are just as bad, but not as generally

IMHO lack of oversight of new hires at "blogs" (huffpo seems to have established a model) is not as bad as when journalists are ordered to do things they think are inappropriate by their bosses. as you said many care. considering writing style, seems likely many "blog" new hires just want pay or publicity/resume.

amusing 'world news' today where one celebrity (in media) with fewer followers accuses a big celebrity with many followers of doing something just to get attention. hmm.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 30, 2018 at 6:18 pm
Old Nov 30, 2018, 4:54 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
https://thepointsguy.com/news/crazy-...ne-restaurant/

"Crazy" eh?

Also, spell check doesn't fix poor grammar.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:48 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by diburning
They can't even tell the difference between the Danish and the Dutch. Shameful.

https://thepointsguy.com/deals/us-sc...31-round-trip/
Skiing in Denmark? Really? There is neither any mountains to speak off nor much snow (for cross country).
jerry305 likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"other dutch cities" ? did they mean Scandinavian?

no idea but sometimes people try to sound like they know more geography than they do
jerry305 and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 8:04 pm

Was Mommy Points this bad before they joined TPG or were they always such a sympathy grab that lacks substance and wastes the reader's time?

https://thepointsguy.com/news/crying...ited-airlines/

And then there's this one
https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...play-promotion

The very first sentence already tells how little they know or care about these programs they're writing about.
This week, United launched a new promotion to targeted MileagePlus members. The program incentivizes select MileagePlus members to book and fly a certain number of trips or miles before a specific date in order to earn a targeted bonus.
Mile Play has been running continuously for over a year (maybe two years?) but the MP members targeted for the promotion are always rotating.
84fiero and Adam1222 like this.

Last edited by diburning; Dec 1, 2018 at 8:17 pm
Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what happens after blogs are acquired? has there been any 'leaks' ?
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, Asiana Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by diburning
And then there's this one
https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...play-promotion

The very first sentence already tells how little they know or care about these programs they're writing about.

Mile Play has been running continuously for over a year (maybe two years?) but the MP members targeted for the promotion are always rotating.
That's my bad on the wording. I meant to indicate that this was a new version of the periodic promotion. I'm quite familiar with this program, as I always check and I'm never targeted I wrote about this promotion last year as well: https://thepointsguy.com/2017/12/uni...s-miles-offer/
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyerJT
That's my bad on the wording. I meant to indicate that this was a new version of the periodic promotion.
great response!

these days too many stealth edits without acknowledgement

sometimes wording is not "bad" or "wrong" just ambiguous
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:29 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
I suppose we should recognize that some of these errors (I'd include the "Danish" one above) are simply typos. Presumably a missed correction in the rush to get a story out the door, which happens to all publications.

I don't mean to take away from the flagrant misrepresentation of facts on the site, though. "Fraud" was eventually fixed, but should have been caught prior to publication. Judging by this thread, TPG's reputation was slightly damaged as a result (rightfully so).
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

one does not have to write about geography if one is not reasonably informed about it
Adam1222 and diburning like this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
one does not have to write about geography if one is not reasonably informed about it
Typos also happen, but they dont pass an editor's review unless they are rushed, or if the editors are not concerned with content- but rather pleasing the companies they promote and, for example, receive sponsorships from for their "awards"
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:01 am

And from the examples shown here, either the editors don't exist, don't their job at all, or they've locked them in the cellar.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:07 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The "value" of the amex rewards point crept up to 2 cents this week. I wonder why..

So which program did red hat pick to promoteat the "awards"?
diburning likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:08 am
Community Director Emerita

The Points Guy has a new podcast. It's excellent. He is 4 episodes into it, one per week. He pulls in top people in the credit card, air and hotel loyalty programs, then has one of his editors analyze the program and give some tips on how to best to use it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.