Wiki Posts
Search

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:08 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by gpapadop
Oh yeah they are really good in screwing their readers all right...

https://travelbloggerbuzz.com/new-am...comment-411542
Soooo unethical!
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:16 pm

TPG now boycotting Saudi Arabia. If you're going to virtue signal do it where it might make a difference.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 6:39 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by JetAway
TPG now boycotting Saudi Arabia. If you're going to virtue signal do it where it might make a difference.
Is it clear who the "TPG Editorial Board" is? But yeah, unless theres a circuit party there, they weren't going to cover it.
To be fair, another megablogger has been fawning over Saudi Arabia for weeks.

I was glad to see that princess Lori found Iberia business class super disappointing, just like Air India. I wonder if there is a pea under her mattress.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Adam1222
I was glad to see that princess Lori found Iberia business class super disappointing, just like Air India.
Both of those Biz products are pretty mediocre.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
Both of those Biz products are pretty mediocre.
Actually, the reference was to her post about Air India coach which failed to meet her expectations because passengers were smelly. Are there better business class products than Iberia? Sure- but few of them are on TATL flights.

If you looked at the actual review, rather than just trying to pick a fight, you'd see that the complaints included the case the amenity kit came in ("red neoprene case looked tacky"), the fish being dry (despite her acknowledgment that fish on planes is "almost never" good), and this:
" Another 15 minutes later, it was plopped on my table. While I didn’t need to be coddled for feeling a little dizzy, I was surprised at the cold treatment. So sorry to have interrupted your busy day, seńora."

Lori has posted 4 flight reviews in 2018-- all negative:Chaos and Comfort: Iberia (A340-600) in Premium Economy From Madrid to New York

Never Again: A Review of TAP Air Portugal’s A320 in Economy From Lisbon to Accra

A Honeymoon Disaster: Flying Air India’s 787 From Milan to Delhi

Served With a Side of Apathy: Iberia (A350) in Business From New York to Madrid

If a reviewer finds every flight to be disappointing, and complains about everything, they lack credibility. And if you *read* the reviews, it would be clear that the writer comes off as entitled and picky.
I hope this resolves your confusion, Seth.
diburning and nancypants like this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:45 pm

I apologize for misunderstanding that the AI review was about Y; it was unclear from the context you posted. And I didn't go chasing it down.

I don't read anything on the site so it is pretty easy for me to avoid the questions of their credibility. I found that once I stopped getting value from something I should stop consuming it. Way easier than being continually disappointed.

And I forgot about IB's new J on the A350. My two experiences on the A330 were pretty meh. Far better than coach but there are plenty of TATL options that compete well with it IMO.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 9:53 am

Expertflyer joins TPG?

ExpertFlyer Joins Red Ventures - ExpertFlyer Blog
Old Nov 6, 2018, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers
That would explain this post today, https://thepointsguy.com/guide/begin...-expert-flyer/, which in absolutely no way divulges that Expert Flyer is owned by the publisher of TPG, and fails to meet any basic standard of disclosure.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Adam1222
That would explain this post today, https://thepointsguy.com/guide/begin...-expert-flyer/, which in absolutely no way divulges that Expert Flyer is owned by the publisher of TPG, and fails to meet any basic standard of disclosure.
Indeed.

Hopefully the quality of Expertflyer - which I very much value - doesn't decline in the same way TPG has.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 3:59 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Just got an alert...my dog in my household needs the CSP card and he better hurry since...it is not going to last long! Oh wait, got another alert! The Amex Gold card can be had for 25k MR points...I guess no one in this outfit will tell me how to get 50k, sad!

In more serious news...we need to have a separate thread who RV will buy next
Old Nov 7, 2018, 7:08 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Indeed.

Hopefully the quality of Expertflyer - which I very much value - doesn't decline in the same way TPG has.
I know, that was my first thought when I saw the headline.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 2:44 pm

My expectation is that the award alerts will be rebranded under the TPG umbrella relatively soon. Smart move from RV and probably a good exit price for EF.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Silver Lake and General Atlantic are both minority shareholders of Red Ventures"
Old Nov 23, 2018, 2:32 pm

Maybe the libel reviewers at TPG are on vacation for Thanksgiving, given a post just now entitled "Business Fraud", accusing Aegean of somehow defrauding their "Expert" writer because the business class seats on intra-Europe flights were no different than economy seats, and provided insufficient amenities.
diburning likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I just read that piece of hot garbage. It reads like a whiny high schooler's book report.

The author even goes as far as to defend himself with statements along the lines of "I know you are, but what am I?" when almost everyone criticized the article. (TPG readers might not all be mindless credit card acquiring drones after all)
Adam1222 and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.