Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2018, 5:56 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
I realize that I am going to come off as sounding way to invested, but did anyone see that they monetized the ThePointsPups Instagram over the weekend?

Pushing some kind of Dog Friendly Cafe in NYC.

I thought it was pretty impressive clearly they are leaving no revenue stream untapped.
They would monetize their grandmothers if they could!
Adam1222 and diburning like this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
It takes a real entitled/spoiled human being to label a review of Le Meridian koh samui as "Bleak House." Every TPG writer should be forced to spend a weekend in a truly Dickensian environment, where they don't get to write anything off as business expenses, or get any special treatment arranged through Bankrate or any other predatory financial services company.

The irony is that they would manage to come up with a review that sells 7 credit cards.
diburning likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by 84fiero
They would monetize their grandmothers if they could!
I'm sure they have their grandmothers added as authorized users
Old Apr 4, 2018, 12:42 pm
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Adam1222
If the website made clear it was advertisements, sure. ... People actually think the Points Guy is giving them honest advice. That's the problem.
This is the key point. "Ben & Jerry's" is just a brand name for ice cream. No one thinks Ben and Jerry get together each morning to make the ice cream. But Brian's face is on the posts published under "The Points Guy" byline, and his various social media posts suggest he is actually traveling and writing quite a bit. So there is reason to think that Brian is actually doing the writing.

When friends learn that I have a blog, one of the first questions is, "Do you know the Points Guy?" And I say, yes, I've met Brian. But I also point out the site has been bought and sold multiple times by corporations who work directly for the credit card issuers. That surprises them.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 4:27 pm

I think this sums it up:

Kramer
: I've been asking around. They didn't even have any kids.
Jerry: Mom and pop aren't even a mom and pop?

Kramer: It was all an act, Jerry. They conned us, and they scored big-time!

84fiero and hi55us like this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:24 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Scottrick
When friends learn that I have a blog, one of the first questions is, "Do you know the Points Guy?" And I say, yes, I've met Brian. But I also point out the site has been bought and sold multiple times by corporations who work directly for the credit card issuers. That surprises them.
Multiple times? I should get my intern to do some actual research instead of goofing around?
Reminds me of FTG? Giving "advice" to travel frugally with face plasted all over the site while continuing to collect money while screaming "I sold it" lol.

Your two calculator tools are awesome by the way. Full Disclosure: I get no compensation from bloggers woohoo!
84fiero likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by gpapadop
Multiple times? I should get my intern to do some actual research instead of goofing around?
Reminds me of FTG? Giving "advice" to travel frugally with face plasted all over the site while continuing to collect money while screaming "I sold it" lol.

Your two calculator tools are awesome by the way. Full Disclosure: I get no compensation from bloggers woohoo!
Is it true TBB got kicked out of credit card links due to your "content" and that your family is not allowed to read TBB? #AskingForAFriend
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by Renes Points
Is it true TBB got kicked out of credit card links due to your "content" and that your family is not allowed to read TBB? #AskingForAFriend
Is it true you've filed frivolous complaints with Twitter when people retweet or post what you post, relying on the fact that it's an automated system?
#Askingformyself
84fiero likes this.

Last edited by Adam1222; Apr 6, 2018 at 10:37 pm
Old Apr 7, 2018, 5:37 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Is it true you've filed frivolous complaints with Twitter when people retweet or post what you post, relying on the fact that it's an automated system?
#Askingformyself
Ummm, yes? So glad da Internet only puts up with Rene's blog on weekends only!

Lets get back on topic. TPG called the Plenti program popular!!! If it was popular why would it shut down #askingforeveryone
84fiero, Adam1222 and diburning like this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:52 am

LOL "9 Reasons I’m Now Focused on Earning Marriott Points and Elite Status"
10. Marriott is paying us to make this post, hosted us at a special event, and gave his embargoed early access to info in exchange for positive "press."

And Zach Honig claims to be a journalist.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
LOL "9 Reasons I’m Now Focused on Earning Marriott Points and Elite Status"
10. Marriott is paying us to make this post, hosted us at a special event, and gave his embargoed early access to info in exchange for positive "press."

And Zach Honig claims to be a journalist.
We all got early access with no requirement to write nice things about them.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by Raffles

84fiero and diburning like this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
I don't think you can assume all bloggers are offered things on the same terms.
of course an actual requirement of writing nice things would be illegal, but the wining and dining of bloggers, and selective identification of who will be given access, is strong inducement to write positive things. (As is the fact that the owner of the blog is a credit card sales company, which is *not* the case with BA blogs )
diburning and hi55us like this.

Last edited by Adam1222; Apr 17, 2018 at 12:08 pm
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:32 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I think the Chase Marriott credit card takes care of the rest of the pack to make sure any announcement is seen in the right light.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:58 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU

I thought that MegaDo had trademarked 'Trip of a Lifetime.'

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.