Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2018, 6:02 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by JetAway
Not to be missed: TPG GRAMMY Party-celebrating travel and music. Seeing is believing.
TPG knows how to take "cheesy" to new levels
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:39 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
His Shameless promotion of the Capital One Venture card is disgusting... It's the antithesis of everything he's been advertising with the Amex Platinum + CSR.
diburning likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:02 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Not to mention that the Venture card's "miles" are a lie, and TPG unscrupulously does not disclose the fact that these "miles" do not equal any sort of airline miles, and are actually points where each one is worth less than an airline mile.

But hey, he'll shill anything that will pay him. I'm sure if someone paid him enough to promote snake oil, his readers will eat it up. I am seeing an ever so slight increase of his readers calling him out on his garbage and clickbait though, so I guess they're not all brain-less.

Last edited by diburning; Feb 1, 2018 at 7:08 pm
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:22 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by diburning
Not to mention that the Venture card's "miles" are a lie, and TPG unscrupulously does not disclose the fact that these "miles" do not equal any sort of airline miles, and are actually points where each one is worth less than an airline mile.

But hey, he'll shill anything that will pay him. I'm sure if someone paid him enough to promote snake oil, his readers will eat it up. I am seeing an ever so slight increase of his readers calling him out on his garbage and clickbait though, so I guess they're not all brain-less.
At this point anyone who thinks Brian is anything but the equivalent of an instagram influencer for hire is a fool.
diburning and hi55us like this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 1:19 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Well, all of us (and probably his readers) forget that this is not Brian talking but Bankrate paying people to write 'articles' under the TPG brand. Just like Mr Gerber and the baby that once posed for the brand image have nothing to do with what Nestlé puts inside the glass jar. Consumers also usually don't care that much (other examples: Häagen-Dazs is owned by General Mills, Ben & Jerry's by Unilever) as long as the product meets their requirements.... welcome to industrial marketing 101.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 4:07 am

So with this 10x from Capital One $1000 hotel spend gets you $100. Doesn't seem worth it.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Wait till they gets exclusive pre-access for Chase Starbucks card and try to convince everyone that its worth a HP for a dozen or so free coffees!
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Well, all of us (and probably his readers) forget that this is not Brian talking but Bankrate paying people to write 'articles' under the TPG brand. Just like Mr Gerber and the baby that once posed for the brand image have nothing to do with what Nestlé puts inside the glass jar. Consumers also usually don't care that much (other examples: Häagen-Dazs is owned by General Mills, Ben & Jerry's by Unilever) as long as the product meets their requirements.... welcome to industrial marketing 101.
Unless Bankrate is misrepresenting the author of the shill "article," this one was written by Mr TPG himself.

Surprisingly, Frugal Travel Guy, another major site (also owned by FT's owner, IB) that writes "articles" was actually honest about how the "miles" work on that card.

I don't have a problem with TPG trying to sell something. I am slightly irritated by the dishonesty and how they try to pass whatever they're selling as travel advice.

Also, their "Reader Mistake Stories" are an indicator of their intended audience...

Last edited by diburning; Feb 2, 2018 at 8:07 pm
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:03 pm

Oops, double post, sorry.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 1:31 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I seriously doubt TPG and MMS still write their credit card shill posts themselves. It's template jobs posted by a writer in their name.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Acid
Wait till they gets exclusive pre-access for Chase Starbucks card and try to convince everyone that its worth a HP for a dozen or so free coffees!
Waiting for it!
Old Feb 3, 2018, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Acid
"Which Card is right for you? Should you get the Chase Starbucks card, or is the older Chase Sapphire Reserve still a solid option?"
Old Feb 4, 2018, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by oliver2002
I seriously doubt TPG and MMS still write their credit card shill posts themselves. It's template jobs posted by a writer in their name.
Unless Bankrate is misrepresenting the author of the shill "article," this one was written by Mr TPG himself.
Just because his name is on the byline doesn't mean he wrote it.

I'm in marketing and have written my fair share of blogs / articles / etc., that are not under my name...and it's not like celebrities write the commercials when they appear on TV ads...
Old Feb 4, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Duke787
Just because his name is on the byline doesn't mean he wrote it.

I'm in marketing and have written my fair share of blogs / articles / etc., that are not under my name...and it's not like celebrities write the commercials when they appear on TV ads...
If the website made clear it was advertisements, sure. No one is mistaking Jennifer Garner's 30 second tv spot for an objective endorsement of the card as opposed to an ad. People actually think the Points Guy is giving them honest advice. That's the problem.

Just because you're in marketing and may have gotten away with writing an ad and getting away with it appearing as an article doesn't make it right (or legal, for that matter).
Old Feb 5, 2018, 5:52 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I realize that I am going to come off as sounding way to invested, but did anyone see that they monetized the ThePointsPups Instagram over the weekend?

Pushing some kind of Dog Friendly Cafe in NYC.

I thought it was pretty impressive clearly they are leaving no revenue stream untapped.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.