Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Old Oct 11, 2017, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP
This thread is great and here I thought I was the only one who was really questioning ... is going on at TPG. I can't believe this Amanda Wowk writer is actually an editorial team of writers that has no seemly no knowledge of the points/miles game.

My biggest concern is with the current push for the Bank of America Premium Rewards card. Brian built his career on flexible points currencies and now all of a sudden is having a love affair with fixed rate redemptions? I get that BOA is paying him a TON of money to push this card, but at what point do you take a step back and say "this just isn't a good card for my audience."

I wonder how much BOA paid him for his 2:30 minute ad for the card..
Old Oct 12, 2017, 6:16 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by trapped
My biggest concern is with the current push for the Bank of America Premium Rewards card. Brian built his career on flexible points currencies and now all of a sudden is having a love affair with fixed rate redemptions? I get that BOA is paying him a TON of money to push this card, but at what point do you take a step back and say "this just isn't a good card for my audience."I wonder how much BOA paid him for his 2:30 minute ad for the card..
Built his career on flexible points currencies? Seriously? These guys will sell ANYTHING that pays them well! It's all about conversions dude! smh with people who still think this is about doing good for the audience...it is about SELLING plastic!
Old Oct 12, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by trapped
This thread is great and here I thought I was the only one who was really questioning ... is going on at TPG. I can't believe this Amanda Wowk writer is actually an editorial team of writers that has no seemly no knowledge of the points/miles game.

My biggest concern is with the current push for the Bank of America Premium Rewards card. Brian built his career on flexible points currencies and now all of a sudden is having a love affair with fixed rate redemptions? I get that BOA is paying him a TON of money to push this card, but at what point do you take a step back and say "this just isn't a good card for my audience."

I wonder how much BOA paid him for his 2:30 minute ad for the card..
The "best cards" are whatever the site has affiliate links (or other incentives) for at the moment! What's actually good for most folks has nothing to do with it at TPG.

Of course that doesn't necessarily mean a given card isn't a good one, for some or even many folks. But it's smart to give due diligence and learn from multiple sources rather than take the word of one particular credit card salesperson.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:31 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Reminds me of the employee of the local bank who will tell you that whatever investment instrument pays him/her the highest commission that week is a 'good investment '.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Reminds me of the employee of the local bank who will tell you that whatever investment instrument pays him/her the highest commission that week is a 'good investment '.
One of Bankrate's employees bragged on Twitter yesterday that he had made 700 "articles" in 2 years, 350 in the bast 3 months.
Said "articles" include this post from yesterday, https://thepointsguy.com/2017/10/dea...i-from-431-rt/, where there isn't any actual content until halfway through the post, and the "deal" was posted by several other sites hours earlier.

There's also this hard news story about the mindblowing revelation that there's an AARP discount for British Airways flights -
from September 2016 -- parroting off of posts on that very same website saying the exact same information in October 2015, July 2016, etc.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 7:13 am

You can't make this stuff up.... an "article" on The points guy about the CFPB arbitration rule that doesn't disclose the self-interest of a credit card marketing company
Old Oct 25, 2017, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Adam1222
You can't make this stuff up.... an "article" on The points guy about the CFPB arbitration rule that doesn't disclose the self-interest of a credit card marketing company
It's insane lol. Not to mention, TWO articles explicitly on the AMEX Platinum in less than 24 hours...

"5 Reasons to Get the Platinum Card from American Express"

and

"Is the AMEX Platinum Worth the Annual Fee?"
Old Oct 25, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by DMPHL
It's insane lol. Not to mention, TWO articles explicitly on the AMEX Platinum in less than 24 hours...

"5 Reasons to Get the Platinum Card from American Express"

and

"Is the AMEX Platinum Worth the Annual Fee?"
I'm dying to know their verdict on whether the annual fee is worth it...yes or no, I wonder!
Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Does TPG not get reported for not disclosing? Is it the FTC? Wasn't sure who makes sure these blogs are disclosing things.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Does TPG not get reported for not disclosing? Is it the FTC? Wasn't sure who makes sure these blogs are disclosing things.
Since this article technically wasn't selling anything, it wouldn t be good to report. The FTC has only gone after individual posts that are ads without disclosures, not websites that base their entire business model on ads masquerading as disinterested content.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 7:28 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Must be that time of year again, when TPG dumps a whole load of garbage onto their site.

Like this obvious shill, or this one where he promotes shady companies that they've never tried, or this steaming pile of garbage where the author blatantly lies about seat dimensions.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
That middle link actively promotes a mileage broker!
Old Nov 11, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Raffles
That middle link actively promotes a mileage broker!
FT's parent company doesn't seem to see anything wrong with that On that thread, post #20 has the link. Post #21 is our FT community director agreeing that Internet Brands (FT's parent company) shouldn't be promoting this, and Post #22 is our community director again saying that others in the company don't agree. At least it was taken off the front page of FT, but it remains on FTG (another IB owned site)
Old Jan 24, 2018, 5:57 pm

Not to be missed: TPG GRAMMY Party-celebrating travel and music. Seeing is believing.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:05 pm

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit... speechless.
84fiero and hi55us like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.