Wiki Posts
Search

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2017, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Has this been prominently disclosed on the website? It's so hard to distinguish which company Brian is working for when he acts these days, Bankrate, Chase, etc. Perhaps some good will come out of this article and realize that nothing on the site is based on an impartial desire to aid consumers, but rather just to make Brian and Bankrate wealthy.

While you say he has built a company out of a passion for points, not quite accurate. He built a brand; Bankrate is the company. The company is built off of unsophisticated customers, over-leveraged American consumers, and an under-regulated market.
You mean as opposed to the celebrity who appears in a commercial on TV without a prominent disclosure that the company is paying them $$$ for the endorsement / press coverage / commercial / etc?

Or the celebrity who tweets about loving their Beats by Dre headphones without disclosing that Beats/Apple are paying them on the side - believe me they all are. Next time your favorite celebrity subtly tweets about a brand or your favorite food blogger mentions a product they really like - remember they are almost certainly getting paid for that through affiliate marketing. It's not just in the M&P/CC industry that's for sure - I worked for a major entertainment and gaming company and we did it all the time with bloggers in that industry to sell DVDs/Video Games/Digital Downloads of shows/etc.

Please take a look around - this is marketing 101 (I say this as a marketer). Find me an affiliate marketer or a CPG marketing campaign that isn't aimed at the unsophisticated customer or the impulse purchase of sophisticated or unsophisticated buyers.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Duke787
this is marketing 101 (I say this as a marketer). Find me an affiliate marketer or a CPG marketing campaign that isn't aimed at the unsophisticated customer or the impulse purchase of sophisticated or unsophisticated buyers.
Sad but...true.

But when they say with a straight face that they are all about...credibility, I am sorry, but there is not a large enough shovel...

And yet, to pound on the marketing angle here, other wanna be bloggers who idolize these influencers imitate them and try to get noticed by linking to them hoping for a back link.

And on it goes...
Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Duke787
You mean as opposed to the celebrity who appears in a commercial on TV without a prominent disclosure that the company is paying them $$$ for the endorsement / press coverage / commercial / etc?

Or the celebrity who tweets about loving their Beats by Dre headphones without disclosing that Beats/Apple are paying them on the side - believe me they all are. Next time your favorite celebrity subtly tweets about a brand or your favorite food blogger mentions a product they really like - remember they are almost certainly getting paid for that through affiliate marketing. It's not just in the M&P/CC industry that's for sure - I worked for a major entertainment and gaming company and we did it all the time with bloggers in that industry to sell DVDs/Video Games/Digital Downloads of shows/etc.

Please take a look around - this is marketing 101 (I say this as a marketer). Find me an affiliate marketer or a CPG marketing campaign that isn't aimed at the unsophisticated customer or the impulse purchase of sophisticated or unsophisticated buyers.
Yeah, you're comparing apples and oranges.

Jennifer Garner doesn't purport to be giving advice out to help you and just happen to mention capital one more. The average viewer knows that her ad on TV is an ad. The average viewer doesn't realize that "Ask the Points Guy" is a feature where the answers are motivated by profit.

As for other social media influencers, the FTC recently cracked down on some of that behavior and as a result Instagram and some other platforms are making changes. (You can read about some of it here, for example. https://www.forbes.com/sites/brianrashid/2017/04/27/what-the-ftcs-instagram-crackdown-means-for-influencers/)

I'm quite aware of the deceptive practices many companies use on Twitter and Instagram, and condemn them as well. But this thread is about The Points Guy. Believe it or not, Brian and other celebrities can all be engaged in problematic advertising behavior. Indeed, I can find the entire marketing industry ethically problematic, though I think that disclosure guidelines for advertorial content that the FTC has issued brings it to a less egregious level.

"Other people do it too" isn't a retort to my point- that I don't find Brian's business model commendable. But obviously if measured based on financial gain and no other indicia, he has succeeded.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
TPG profile in The New Yorker for those interested: http://www.newyorker.com/business/cu...the-points-guy

Includes this tidbit:

During his first month of affiliate marketing, in February of 2011, Kelly made five thousand dollars. Two months later, he published a post about a hundred-thousand-point bonus offer from Chase and British Airways. Hundreds of readers applied for the card. He made thirty thousand dollars in twenty-four hours and gave notice at Morgan Stanley the next day. Today, his sway has grown so strong that many banks consult him before releasing new credit cards to the public.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
During his first month of affiliate marketing, in February of 2011, Kelly made five thousand dollars. Two months later, he published a post about a hundred-thousand-point bonus offer from Chase and British Airways. Hundreds of readers applied for the card. He made thirty thousand dollars in twenty-four hours and gave notice at Morgan Stanley the next day. Today, his sway has grown so strong that many banks consult him before releasing new credit cards to the public.
That offer was the game-changer in the blogosphere.

Blogs like FTG, TPG, and my own made a killing off it and VFTW, OMAAT, and MMS all changed their affiliate link policies after that.

One day I'll write a book on this stuff
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think the author (or the editor, for that matter) understands the definition of "nominal."
Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Only available through Amazon if people click on your Amazon affiliate link first .
Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Only available through Amazon if people click on your Amazon affiliate link first .
Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:42 pm

TPG profile in The New Yorker for those interested: http://www.newyorker.com/business/cu...the-points-guy
A. The "golden age" ended 2-3 years ago when AMEX, Chase, and Citi implemented anti-churning rules, Serve was killed, AA/DL/UA had massive devaluations, etc.
But hey, at least there's still miles for dining

B. Brian is a multi-millionaire, so he doesn't need to travel "like" one.

C. It's easy to have "endless" miles when you can buy an endless amount from airlines like Alaska.

D. I also thought all the bloggers besides FTG were pretty dumb for leaving all that money on the table for all those years
In the end I guess I'm the dumb one as they went after the n00b market and the MSM which I failed to go after.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 7:03 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Quite the kudo from Forbes for thepointsguy.

Forbes Top Influencers: The Points Guy, Brian Kelly, On Turning Miles Into A Media Empire

[..] Kelly is using his fame to advocate for life-saving causes. He has donated hundreds of thousands of air miles to Rainbow Railroad, helping to rescue LGBT people from places where their lives are at risk, most recently Chechnya.
In the New Yorker there is no mention of that, but this:

So, last year, he started Points for Peace, an initiative that partners with the nonprofit Peace Jam to fly Nobel laureates to children who might benefit from their guidance. “Everyone looks at charities, like, ‘Oh, they have too many administrative costs and travel,’ ” Kelly said. “I said, ‘What if I come in and help?’ ” Kelly now travels every few months for Peace Jam events in sub-Saharan Africa. Last June, in Ghana, he held a “Shark Tank”-style competition with three hundred and fifty teen-agers, awarding micro-finance loans to the most entrepreneurial of the group. He told me, “When I see talent, I want to develop it.”
Old Jul 1, 2017, 7:45 am

Dan, your link in the signature goes to a dead site, FYI.

Old Jul 2, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
This has to be one of the dumbest articles ever on TPG.

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/06/quo...xt-flight-out/

Scraping the barrel doesn't even do justice to how bad this is. Basing an article on a Quora question must be a new low... and the guff he's written in response makes it even worse.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Not only do they steal borrow their content from other vapid websites like Quora, they don't really add to whatever they're borrowing.

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/06/quo...xt-flight-out/

The comments echo my sentiment (At least they don't whitewash their comment section like FT's front page articles do)

Old Jul 2, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
I think it's a content-sharing agreement between TPG and Quora actually, it looks like the byline says "by Quora" so I'm sure they're paying for the space.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 11:38 pm

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
That offer was the game-changer in the blogosphere.

Blogs like FTG, TPG, and my own made a killing off it and VFTW, OMAAT, and MMS all changed their affiliate link policies after that.

Its all about timing. TPG proves that 30k in a day though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.