The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2016, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
And most of those also do not travel much. The stat on how few Americans have passports is similarly low. Ditto for those who do not stray far from home. More important to look at likely "customers" than all potential customers IMO.
You are correct. That 75% of Americans that haven't changed their primary credit card won't be enticed to change/signup for new cards with "free" international travel. The 75% figure also does say much about how many would even be eligible for a points earning card (I'm assuming consumers have be accepted for the credit card in order for TPG to earn the referral commission).

Though, I'm starting to see more and more of this demographic sign up for cards like the CSP due to the flexibility of the card owner to book both domestic flights and hotels.

Originally Posted by sbm12
Agreed, but this is, to me, making Adam1222's point that diversifying out of the CC shill market is a smart move.
I just proposed that is a route TPG could go with having a Youtube travel blog. I get the impression he's trying to find new methods of bringing new readers to his website that he can sell to. He already has a large marketing campaign on Facebook and Twitter. TPGtv could be anyone's guess what other motives he might have... if he is trying to get into travel tv or has just become tired of writing blog entries. Seems like he is more the mascot and behind the scenes guy now of TPG.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Thanks, but I'm pretty sure my opinion is informed. You may disagree with it, but I am certainly informed.

It's basic math. Between this website and other similar websites, it is impossible for revenue generating readership to continue to grow at this rate, even without any change in external factors.
You say it is impossible, but I believe a few months ago he posted his numbers which showed his numbers have doubled every year for the past 6 years. I would agree at some point the number of readers will not grow at the same rate, but his methods of pulling in new readers has evolved.

From his AMA:
"... I think the growth of TPG has hinged on me looking outside of our relatively closed off blogosphere and focusing on innovating, whether it is hiring talented editors, launching TPGtv or charity initiatives we are about to announce. "

If the number of credit Cards each reader can get drops -- which it is based on Chase and Amex rule changes, revenue will drop further. People will be less likely to be interested in changing credit cards if the benefit of doing so drops - which is what is happening with miles programs switching to dollar based.
What percentage of people who use his referral links do you think are involved in churning? I don't think these rules have a major effect on the amount of referral income. I get the impression factors like the number of new readers and higher bonuses have more of an effect on the amount of referral income he makes each month. If you aren't growing your number of readers... yes it becomes more important to get them into churning. If you keep increasing the number of readers you want to sell them on the idea of "diversifying" their credit card portfolio. The world of churning and MS is too hard of a sell to newbies.

TLDR:
I think TPG has a stronger interest in growing the number of readers and getting each to sign up for 1-2 cards. He's not FTG trying to get them into churning. His numbers have doubled each year. While it won't always continue to grow at that rate, I don't feel new rules have as much of an effect on his referral income as his target audience isn't into churning.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by runfit
I don't need any professional experience. It was on various videos and photos that they had posted. Plus, the company he uses was also used by other media people (including Katie Couric) to answer who he uses.
I have looked through his videos and can't find what you are talking about. As a matter of professional curiosity, I would appreciate it if you could point me the right direction. TIA.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by AAExPlat
I have looked through his videos and can't find what you are talking about. As a matter of professional curiosity, I would appreciate it if you could point me the right direction. TIA.
I will check around. I think it was on his Instagram account or maybe his producer's. His name is Andrew Rothchild. I'll update when I find them.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by runfit
I will check around. I think it was on his Instagram account or maybe his producer's. His name is Andrew Rothchild. I'll update when I find them.
Sounds good. That actually gives me something to work with. Thanks.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
TLDR:
I think TPG has a stronger interest in growing the number of readers and getting each to sign up for 1-2 cards. He's not FTG trying to get them into churning. His numbers have doubled each year. While it won't always continue to grow at that rate, I don't feel new rules have as much of an effect on his referral income as his target audience isn't into churning.
Bingo.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 2:42 pm

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
I wonder if TPG TV is an attempt for Brian to expand his usefulness and employability. even if he's a millionaire from the blog so far (and keeping it as a Florida "resident"), that won't sustain his lifestyle until he hits retirement age. Being "The Points Guy" is likely not to produce significant income as programs go revenue based and credit card churning is eliminated. he's in his early 30s, so maybe he thinks legit travel journalism or tv is a possibility. His pre-full-time blogging job of recruitment for the finance industry isn't likely to be as financially rewarding.
This guy makes 7 figures a year. He doesn't need to do this. He has enough money to retire comfortably for the rest of his life. He's doing this for personal reasons obviously.

Its clear via engagement rates that many of his "fans" are bought via social media providers. Almost 1,000,000 followers yet less than 100 likes on some posts? I see higher interaction rates with FB accounts with 10,000 fans.

He somehow gained 100,000 fans within the last couple weeks. I call shenanigans.

Its getting entertaining to see him trying to throw money and achieve "faux paux" celebrity status. Reminds me of this guy:

http://www.complex.com/music/2014/12...m-the-humbling
Old Feb 27, 2016, 3:00 pm

He admitted on reddit he spends "tons" on advertising (buying FB followers).
His videos has very little exposure on youtube where it's hard to hide
the counter, when asked about it he said he has "millions" of views on FB.
Sure.
Also as Bankrate stock is in the toilet, I wouldn't be surprised
he is not celebrating much this weekend...
Old Feb 27, 2016, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler
Its getting entertaining to see him trying to throw money and achieve "faux paux" celebrity status.
~400,000 views in one day (3 weeks after the video was released)? You could be correct about him buying views/likes.

Old Feb 27, 2016, 9:48 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by Big_Foot
He admitted on reddit he spends "tons" on advertising (buying FB followers).
His videos has very little exposure on youtube where it's hard to hide
the counter, when asked about it he said he has "millions" of views on FB.
Sure.
Also as Bankrate stock is in the toilet, I wouldn't be surprised
he is not celebrating much this weekend...
I just noticed a sponsored post on my Facebook page.

I just went through his AMA and noticed that he likes SecretFlying; the hacks that steal deals from FT and then delete all posts that point that out. If you're lucky they will ban your IP.

Last edited by skunker; Feb 27, 2016 at 10:07 pm
Old Feb 28, 2016, 3:19 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I wonder if TPG TV is an attempt for Brian to expand his usefulness and employability. even if he's a millionaire from the blog so far (and keeping it as a Florida "resident"), that won't sustain his lifestyle until he hits retirement age. Being "The Points Guy" is likely not to produce significant income as programs go revenue based and credit card churning is eliminated. he's in his early 30s, so maybe he thinks legit travel journalism or tv is a possibility. His pre-full-time blogging job of recruitment for the finance industry isn't likely to be as financially rewarding.
This guy makes 7 figures a year. He doesn't need to do this. He has enough money to retire comfortably for the rest of his life. He's doing this for personal reasons obviously.

[/url]
Unfortunately, 7 figures a year when living in New York and flying private jets does not mean you can retire and live comfortably for the rest of your life, particularly if you've only made 7 figures for a few years. And even if you can live comfortably, you can't live the "TPG Lifestyle "
Old Mar 6, 2016, 2:30 pm

Programs: IAMAW Local 368/HAL 2 Star Mariner
Its getting entertaining to see him trying to throw money and achieve "faux paux" celebrity status. Reminds me of this guy
He wants to be a celebrity, except he isn't, and won't be.

What would really humor me is if he started an extension of his existing site called "The Bankruptcy Lawyer Referral Guy". No doubt a large chunk of his readers probably need that by now.

-LPDAL
Old Mar 7, 2016, 9:58 am

This guy makes 7 figures a year. He doesn't need to do this.
What's your source for this? You throw "7 figures a year" around quite casually as if this is a normal income for travel blogging. Believe me, very, very few people in this country or any other make "7 figures a year."
Old Mar 7, 2016, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by JetAway
What's your source for this? You throw "7 figures a year" around quite casually as if this is a normal income for travel blogging. Believe me, very, very few people in this country or any other make "7 figures a year."
His site revenue is almost certainly 7 figures a year. I don't know if his profit or how much he gets paid is that much, but his site revenue is definitely 7 figures.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
His site revenue is almost certainly 7 figures a year. I don't know if his profit or how much he gets paid is that much, but his site revenue is definitely 7 figures.
The rumoured sale price for the site, which I was told by an industry exec, was $15m so easily seven figures.

You think seven figures is a lot but it isn't. Assuming $100 average card commission you only need 30 applications per day.

Put another way ..... TPG, on his readership numbers, would make $1m per year from Google Adsense alone if he bothered to put it up - which he doesn't. That is based on a direct extrapolation of my Adsense income to his.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.