Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Old Nov 26, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: IAMAW Local 368/HAL 2 Star Mariner
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
I cannot allow you to give thanks, as that is the case. Personally, I've taken three showers on airplanes and I assure you that there is no photographic evidence of any of them .
Someone should parody that with an Amtrak bathroom in one of their sleeper bedrooms with the toilet seat opened for extra effect.

-LPDAL
Old Nov 26, 2015, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by LPDAL
Someone should parody that with an Amtrak bathroom in one of their sleeper bedrooms with the toilet seat opened for extra effect.

-LPDAL
You're lucky I read that before I ate today . But Amtrak doesn't limit you to five minutes either!

Although I do claim an affinity for the soap Amtrak once had. Ironically, it is the same soap now found on most AA planes.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Although I do claim an affinity for the soap Amtrak once had. Ironically, it is the same soap now found on most AA planes.
airlines, they are the new trains! ... PJs are the *new* airlines

@astro's post - oh god, such beasts of burden should NOT be posted on the internet. had no idea who this heelsfirst person was, but my eyes, they burn why the hell wud someone so fugly post a naked pic of themselves in a shower on a TR
Old Nov 26, 2015, 2:17 pm

Why is the video quality so bad?

Old Nov 26, 2015, 3:18 pm

I'm gonna puke... and it's not related to the food presented in this video
Old Nov 27, 2015, 12:54 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
If you're gonna puke then i'm going to faint.
Good grief is this an example of overediting modern personality promotion.

I would expect a review to outline facts, objectives, opinion and conclusion.
If this video stays eternal on internet i would rather switch it with danni minoque's version. Slightly over the top but still more details shown.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 1:27 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
The video has less than 15,000 views so far. That's a pretty pathetic return on investment. His Instagram interaction rate is also very weak. I see regular trip reports on youtube with much higher views then that.

Really SEO is the only thing propping up his blog. Cause the content is just awful. I'm seeing his "sponsored posts" everywhere on facebook, seems like they are desperate to keep market share.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 4:13 am

I think his editor was trying to film like it was a theatrical movie --lessened frame rate, slightly blurred...

"I don't know if you can beat Thanksgiving in the air"

Uh, you're on an airline from Abu Dhabi. And I'm still not sure if this is an actual review or a vanity project in tandem with shower selfie lady.

-LPDAL
Old Nov 27, 2015, 6:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Originally Posted by HadesNL
I would expect a review to outline facts, objectives, opinion and conclusion.
FT is not the target audience for those videos. The people who are, the viral internet sort of people, couldn't care less about facts, reviews, and conclusions, they just want to be WOWed. I actually think the second video (of the dinner) does a pretty good job of creating excitement, albeit unnecessarily.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 11:51 am

There must be some kind of attitude from TPG towards Lucky. Maybe he doesn't like all the press he gets? A recent post about booking the Etihad Apartment H/T BoardingArea - even though the link is to OMAAT. Also, apparently OMAAT is no longer a "friend of TPG" according to the blogroll on the bottom.
Is it Ben's media attention or just the desire to be the top dog or something else?
Old Nov 27, 2015, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by runfit
There must be some kind of attitude from TPG towards Lucky. Maybe he doesn't like all the press he gets? A recent post about booking the Etihad Apartment H/T BoardingArea - even though the link is to OMAAT. Also, apparently OMAAT is no longer a "friend of TPG" according to the blogroll on the bottom.
Is it Ben's media attention or just the desire to be the top dog or something else?
Apparently there was a recent flight where TPG got drunk in Emirates first class and made a series of posts via social media directed at Lucky. There was also a drunken video of TPG in the shower. All of which were quickly removed... but not quick enough for Dan (from Dan's Deals) to take some screen shots... which he has yet to post.

I don't believe I've seen anything before this about a falling out between the two. I have a feeling all the press Lucky got from the RS article and the attention received after opening up about his sexuality (TPG did the same a few months ago in his comments section with much less attention) brought more competition of who was the more successful blogger. It seems that this was completely one sided, though I could be wrong as I've not seen the screen shots.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
There was also a drunken video of TPG in the shower. All of which were quickly removed... but not quick enough for Dan (from Dan's Deals) to take some screen shots... which he has yet to post.
As he shouldn't, such adolescent behavior!

The danger with TPG, in my view, at least, is that he is purporting to be on the newbie's side, when the actually truth is that he is nothing more than a credit card salesman. That is not to say, however, that all of his content is trash, but in my view, 90% of it is (the videos above). There are, in fact, some diamonds hidden in the piles of dirt [I found his article on debit rewards cards very helpful, for instance.] but the dirt to diamonds ratio is 9 on the dirt side with 1 on the diamond side.

I do wonder how TPG would support himself (and pay his staff) if BankRate and his commission banks cut him off entirely. You can't live off of points.

-LPDAL
Old Nov 29, 2015, 9:12 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by LPDAL
As he shouldn't, such adolescent behavior!

The danger with TPG, in my view, at least, is that he is purporting to be on the newbie's side, when the actually truth is that he is nothing more than a credit card salesman. That is not to say, however, that all of his content is trash, but in my view, 90% of it is (the videos above). There are, in fact, some diamonds hidden in the piles of dirt [I found his article on debit rewards cards very helpful, for instance.] but the dirt to diamonds ratio is 9 on the dirt side with 1 on the diamond side.

I do wonder how TPG would support himself (and pay his staff) if BankRate and his commission banks cut him off entirely. You can't live off of points.

-LPDAL
All of the cc hucksters pretend to be on the newbie side and none of them are. The are simply CC pushers. The whole loyalty scheme for airlines is changing and will continue to change as will the cc churn that allows one to get the points. Five years from now I predict a very different blogger landscape. There will still be great travel bloggers out there but the whole "get this cc card to be able to take a shower at 38k feet" will be severely reduced.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by cruisr
Five years from now I predict a very different blogger landscape. There will still be great travel bloggers out there but the whole "get this cc card to be able to take a shower at 38k feet" will be severely reduced.
Sooner than five years. Once the Fed begins raising rates (maybe in the next couple of weeks or so) credit will get more expensive and churning credit cards will become a lot more difficult. Bonuses will begin to shrink at the same time airlines tighten their frequent flyer programs. The die off in the blogging world will be significant.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by JetAway
Sooner than five years. Once the Fed begins raising rates (maybe in the next couple of weeks or so) credit will get more expensive and churning credit cards will become a lot more difficult. Bonuses will begin to shrink at the same time airlines tighten their frequent flyer programs. The die off in the blogging world will be significant.
So maybe actually getting a 'free' seat or an upgrade will be a more likely? After all once all these credit card/fly for free/ 1st class all the way hawkers stop flying, The first and business class cabins should be nearly empty!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.