Reload this Page >

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2020, 2:48 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
TPG is getting some tough love:

Old Apr 30, 2020, 12:56 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by oliver2002
One blogger whining about the editorial content of another is like a NASCAR driving criticizing his rival for driving too fast.
Markie and Beltway2A like this.
Old May 26, 2020, 4:22 am

Programs: DL DM 2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium/Ambassador Elite , Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
TPG should be called TCCG or “The Credit Card Guy”. It seems much of the recent content is around credit cards. I get it that most cannot travel now, but their content over the last month has been extremely boring. I view this blog 50% less than I used to due to know it’s a waste of my time.

Last edited by buckeye91; Jun 22, 2020 at 6:15 pm
Old May 26, 2020, 5:28 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by buckeye91
TPG should be called TCCG or “The Credit Car Guy”. It seems much of the recent content is around credit cards. I get it that most cannot travel now, but their content over the last month has been extremely boring. I view this blog 50% less than I used to due to know it’s a waste of my time.
I won't look at their site anymore. I even blocked TPG from my Google News Feed. (the fact they pay to be on Google's news feed should tell you something)

Instead, I look at what I assume are more reputable travel bloggers. Vicarious Voyager is my latest find. Limited content, but clever blogger.
Old May 26, 2020, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
You don’t pay to be on Google News. You apply, they have a look at your site and if it is newsy you get on. All you need to do is create a separate site map called ‘news’.

They used to block blogs but have lightened up - I recently got accepted after numerous rejections over the years.
mikex163 likes this.
Old May 26, 2020, 10:51 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Google news will feed you 'news' based on what you look at in your chrome browser or other browsing history that google can associate with your account. For some reason I get a weird mix of brit royalty gossip and aviation stuff. Turns out its because my wife keeps track of Harry & co via the chrome browser on our home ipad

The TPG news can come to you via mainstream media too. The recent news about free Calm subscriptions for Amex card holders was spread via TPG. Take a look at this CNN Edition article:

https://us.cnn.com/2020/05/18/cnn-un...hip/index.html

Note this:

CNN Underscored reviews financial products such as credit cards and bank accounts based on their overall value. We may receive a commission through The Points Guy affiliate network if you apply and are approved for a card, but our reporting is always independent and objective.

It seems Red Venture / Bankrate has created a affiliate network

Bankrate has managed to become a source of commentary. NPRs money programmes talk with their people quite often. An example:

But these days Greg McBride, a chief financial analyst with Bankrate.com, says, "This is the one time where it's OK to make minimum payments on your credit card." At least that will buy consumers some time for their bills and allow them to take care of necessities.

Here is some of their advice:

Make a list of all bills coming due in the next two months. Call each company and ask if they can delay your payment or put you on a more affordable payment plan.
https://www.npr.org/2020/04/09/82812...=1590511784990
Old Jun 22, 2020, 8:11 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Can't be to young to get hooked on credit, the latest effort to bind the new target market as this will be the group that can travel during covid19 restrictions relaxation:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/millen...-credit-cards/

Admitting i come right out of the the ark, but how many creditcards can a student have ?
Old Jun 22, 2020, 4:13 pm

Theyre pushing a Verizon card today, which seems pretty desperate
Old Jun 22, 2020, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Originally Posted by HadesNL
Can't be to young to get hooked on credit, the latest effort to bind the new target market as this will be the group that can travel during covid19 restrictions relaxation:

Admitting i come right out of the the ark, but how many creditcards can a student have ?
Go to any college campus in the USA the first week of class, you’ll see credit card hawkers all over the place.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 9:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HadesNL

When I was a student I had 3 cards by the time I graduated and $30k of credit limits. Literally the best thing a financially responsible student in college can do for their credit is to get multiple credit cards. Doesn't look like that is about student cards, though - they literally pay nothing in the affiliate world, and aren't worth anyone's time to write about. You'd make more money as a blogger telling people to buy a pack of gum on Amazon.com than you would with student credit cards.
Originally Posted by jamesinclair
Theyre pushing a Verizon card today, which seems pretty desperate
Doubt that was an advertising focused post since it had the same link that Verizon put out in their press kit. You see TPG and everyone else jump on these cards even if they don't pay them, just for the Google News and search traffic. The card is arguably a good deal for many Verizon customers, but that's a different debate. Last year everyone jumped on the bandwagon about writing about the new Walmart credit card (and some even had embargoed announcement data from Capital One judging on how quickly a few sites wrote about the same thing). Capital One doesn't pay affiliate commissions on that card, but everyone wrote about it to a) get on Google News & b) try to get people to browse their site and click on something else.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 9:26 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by stuck720
When I was a student I had 3 cards by the time I graduated and $30k of credit limits. Literally the best thing a financially responsible student in college can do for their credit is to get multiple credit cards. Doesn't look like that is about student cards, though - they literally pay nothing in the affiliate world, and aren't worth anyone's time to write about. You'd make more money as a blogger telling people to buy a pack of gum on Amazon.com than you would with student credit cards.

Doubt that was an advertising focused post since it had the same link that Verizon put out in their press kit. You see TPG and everyone else jump on these cards even if they don't pay them, just for the Google News and search traffic. The card is arguably a good deal for many Verizon customers, but that's a different debate. Last year everyone jumped on the bandwagon about writing about the new Walmart credit card (and some even had embargoed announcement data from Capital One judging on how quickly a few sites wrote about the same thing). Capital One doesn't pay affiliate commissions on that card, but everyone wrote about it to a) get on Google News & b) try to get people to browse their site and click on something else.
There's a difference between establishing credit and running up lots of expenses to meet bonus spend requirements, of course.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 7:15 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Thanks for clarifying ! I admit being in the Netherlands in the 90s, i could only have 1 card and the limit was only f2500,- then - how times and inflation have changed!
Old Jul 9, 2020, 8:19 pm

So..how do we get TPG (the website/company) to die so that its clickbait, link-maze ad-ridden pages to disappear from Google search results?

I started by avoiding opening their pages from Google search results
Adam1222 and diburning like this.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 5:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
So..how do we get TPG (the website/company) to die so that its clickbait, link-maze ad-ridden pages to disappear from Google search results?

I started by avoiding opening their pages from Google search results
Well, the most obvious way would be for people to stop patronizing these sites. But the usual cast of characters in this forum can't seem to look away and they wouldn't have anything to complain/post about everyday...

Regards
CMK10, DYKWIA and TBD like this.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 8:17 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by scubadu
Well, the most obvious way would be for people to stop patronizing these sites. But the usual cast of characters in this forum can't seem to look away and they wouldn't have anything to complain/post about everyday...

Regards
No one required you to make that post; I guess you can't look away either and you wouldn't have anything to complain/post about.

(Of course, your basic principle is also wrong, as marketing, predatory deceptive practices, and SEO drives the success of TPG.com and the negative impact it's had on the travel world, completely unrelated to whether people on this forum "patronize" the site or not.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.