Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Old Mar 20, 20, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum Thnks to FT
And why in the world does this dude need security? He paid 50k for security on his Israel trip?
Old Mar 20, 20, 6:04 pm

Programs: DL SM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by cruisr View Post
And why in the world does this dude need security? He paid 50k for security on his Israel trip?
He needs young attractive men around him at all times for the security of his ego.
Markie, Big_Foot, cruisr and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 21, 20, 3:33 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Adam1222 View Post
He needs young attractive men around him at all times for the security of his ego.
I really had to pick myself up from the floor laughing after this, Adam.

Your post reminded me of the notorious boy band manager, Lou Pearlman, who lived in my luxury condo and was always accompanied by the most beautiful twinks one could imagine (to say Pearlman was unattractive, would have been an understatement). In addition to other fun facts, he was found guilty of mounting one of the then biggest Ponzi schemes ever attempted - for more than 20 years, Pearlman enticed individuals and banks to invest in Trans Continental Airlines Travel Services Inc. and Trans Continental Airlines Inc., both of which existed only on paper. There were numerous accusations that he wanted to hook up with the members of the boy bands he created (he founded Backstreet boys and NSYNC, and his groups included as members Justin Timberlake, Lance Bass, and Britney Spears).

I know he tried to get at least two of the concierges in my building to buy shares in Airship International (which didn't have the ships it claimed at the time of the stock sale) - and the list of his misdeeds goes on and on.

He died in prison a few years ago after everything he touched unraveled.

Last edited by jspira; Mar 21, 20 at 9:21 pm
Old Mar 21, 20, 6:17 pm

To protect himself from homophobes.
Old Mar 21, 20, 8:01 pm

Programs: DL SM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by hugolover View Post
To protect himself from homophobes.
​​​​​​I'm not sure if this is a joke. But I haven't seen any homophobia. To the contrary, the behavior he is being called out for is the same kind of behavior that straight men like Harvey Weinstein have been called out for. I'm sure you're not suggesting we should ignore the allegations of sexual harassment and rampant partying because he's gay. That would be wild. I think we can all agree that many wealthy men in positions of power try to surround themselves with young attractive people to boost their ego, regardless of sexual orientation.
cruisr and jspira like this.
Old Mar 21, 20, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Avis CHM.
Originally Posted by cruisr View Post
Miraculously I survived trips with the whole family to Israel in 2015, 2018, and 2019 just using points and miles for the flights and hotels.
And no security
jspira likes this.
Old Mar 21, 20, 11:02 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
What a truly sad story.

Also, what a freaking a-hole.

That said, COVID-19 is going to be a game-changer for the blogging business model. Ad and affiliate revenues are already in the toilet and about to be flushed....
Old Mar 23, 20, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I hope people are taking that story with a BIG grain of salt. There's no one with an axe to grind quite like former employees. And the story relies on sensational headlines like "VERBAL ABUSE" then when you get into it the stories are "he threw his phone at a table in anger".

And I doubt the security story is real. Perhaps it was creative accounting.
TBD likes this.
Old Mar 23, 20, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
I hope people are taking that story with a BIG grain of salt. There's no one with an axe to grind quite like former employees. And the story relies on sensational headlines like "VERBAL ABUSE" then when you get into it the stories are "he threw his phone at a table in anger".

Why would we take that story with a grain of salt? It is consistent with things that many of us have known for years. It passed a libel review and was published in a non-fringe publication.

I hope you are never a victim of sexual harassment or workplace abuse.
flashware and jspira like this.
Old Mar 25, 20, 10:45 pm

The price seems off, as does the narrative. It says RedVentures purchased Bankrate in 2017, TPG's excessive spending was suddenly seen as a liability & gives an example of a 2019 trip? I want to see this budget memo that BusinessInsider claims to have. How the hell do you spend $35k on hotels for apparently 5 people over 2 weeks, while it even says he booked a Waldorf suite on points? Why wouldn't he spend the points the company has instead of some insane amount on El Al's business class, of all carriers? An old interview sounded like he still owned part of TPG (or got a cut of the ongoing profit as his pay?) when he originally sold it so I would guess he would want to spend points and keep a % of the cash for himself. I'm sure Brian spends extravagantly, but something doesn't add up here.

But, oh, those poor employees who now have to deal with free catered lunches 4/5 of the week instead of expensing "unlimited" Seamless orders. Now the employees can't even stack up the points on their daily free lunches, poor things.

The best part of the article was the ex-boyfriend going on record about Brian. Hell has no fury like a boyfriend scorned?
Old Mar 26, 20, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by stuck720 View Post
The price seems off, as does the narrative. It says RedVentures purchased Bankrate in 2017, TPG's excessive spending was suddenly seen as a liability & gives an example of a 2019 trip? I want to see this budget memo that BusinessInsider claims to have. How the hell do you spend $35k on hotels for apparently 5 people over 2 weeks, while it even says he booked a Waldorf suite on points? Why wouldn't he spend the points the company has instead of some insane amount on El Al's business class, of all carriers? An old interview sounded like he still owned part of TPG (or got a cut of the ongoing profit as his pay?) when he originally sold it so I would guess he would want to spend points and keep a % of the cash for himself. I'm sure Brian spends extravagantly, but something doesn't add up here.

But, oh, those poor employees who now have to deal with free catered lunches 4/5 of the week instead of expensing "unlimited" Seamless orders. Now the employees can't even stack up the points on their daily free lunches, poor things.

The best part of the article was the ex-boyfriend going on record about Brian. Hell has no fury like a boyfriend scorned?
Yes the Stanford Olympic gymnast that Brian treated badly must be lying because Brian is such a catch and his heart is so broken. That's the most logical explanation.

Not all of the employees who reported abusive workplace treatment are former employees. Seamless web does not entitle an employer to treat workers badly.

How sad that even in these times, people continue to have an utter lack of empathy.

(Does Red Ventures have a policy that he must use the "company's" points rather than spend their money and keep the points for his "personal" use?)

​​​​​
​​​​
Old Mar 26, 20, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Yes the Stanford Olympic gymnast that Brian treated badly must be lying because Brian is such a catch and his heart is so broken. That's the most logical explanation.

Not all of the employees who reported abusive workplace treatment are former employees. Seamless web does not entitle an employer to treat workers badly.

How sad that even in these times, people continue to have an utter lack of empathy.

(Does Red Ventures have a policy that he must use the "company's" points rather than spend their money and keep the points for his "personal" use?)
​​​​​
​​​​
Might want to check the glass house you're living in before you chuck the utter lack of empathy stone. You and the six or seven people who post in this thread just complain about bloggers again and again and again. There are two sides to every story but because this targets a blogger you'll swallow every bit of it and accept it wholesale.
Old Mar 26, 20, 2:02 pm

Might want to check the glass house you're living in before you chuck the utter lack of empathy stone. You and the six or seven people who post in this thread just complain about bloggers again and again and again. There are two sides to every story but because this targets a blogger you'll swallow every bit of it and accept it wholesale.
Are you suggesting I don't have empathy for ... Credit card marketers?
Are sayingyou that I should give Brian the benefit of the doubt over 23 people who are current and former employees of a relatively small company who reported the same thing, to the degree that their comments survived a libel review, which was consistent with that of a man who went on record that you accuse of being a scorned lover, as well as the personal experiences of many people who don't write in media publications?

I do not have "empathy" for deceptive practices and those who engage them, or companies that make millions in them. The fact that you would equate my critiques of a business model with your accusations that all 23 employees are lying and bitter because they aren't getting free meals is outrageous.

​​​​​​I'm sorry you distrust the legitimate media so much, yet seem to think deceptive marketing content is okay. Have a good one Brian.
Old Mar 26, 20, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you suggesting I don't have empathy for ... Credit card marketers?
Are sayingyou that I should give Brian the benefit of the doubt over 23 people who are current and former employees of a relatively small company who reported the same thing, to the degree that their comments survived a libel review, which was consistent with that of a man who went on record that you accuse of being a scorned lover, as well as the personal experiences of many people who don't write in media publications?

I do not have "empathy" for deceptive practices and those who engage them, or companies that make millions in them. The fact that you would equate my critiques of a business model with your accusations that all 23 employees are lying and bitter because they aren't getting free meals is outrageous.

​​​​​​I'm sorry you distrust the legitimate media so much, yet seem to think deceptive marketing content is okay. Have a good one Brian.
I think it was a sensational story puffed up with exaggerated headlines that made a big deal of minor workplace issues that former employees complained about. You seem willing to accept everything on ts face. If the subject wasn't a blogger would you be as willing to treat everything as true?
Old Mar 26, 20, 3:56 pm

I think it was a sensational story puffed up with exaggerated headlines that made a big deal of minor workplace issues that former employees complained about. You seem willing to accept everything on ts face. If the subject wasn't a blogger would you be as willing to treat everything as true?
I think I've been clear why I believe this particular story--not "everything", is true, including the specificity of the allegations, at least one named source, and the fact that 23 of 28 current and former employees substantiated it. I also know what libel review at a publication like BI would entail. I also have personal knowledge that supports the story, and have heard third-hand gossip along these lines for years. Given all this, I find the article credible.

I also know that the idea that employees exaggerate "minor workplace issues" is a false trope trotted out by abusive employers over and over again. If anything, employees underreport workplace mistreatment in the financial and tech sectors, based on harmful attitudes like yours that say "it's no big deal" and "shut up and eat your free unlimited Seamless."

Again, you keep referring to the article's sources as *former* employees, ignoring the fact that the article explicitly stated it was based on both current and former employees.

If this story were written about any employer, I would believe it. I've seen the kind of lines you are spewing be used in attempts to discredit victims across many industries. Given what I know about Brian and the company, I believe it even more.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: