Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Old Oct 7, 19, 6:30 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
It will also invest more money in building out communities of people hungry for tips on how to travel more efficiently: The Points Guy will start hosting in-person meetups for readers in various U.S. cities, as well as a Points Con event.
More events!

“No one’s going to watch a post about a runaway catering truck and then get a [Chase] Sapphire credit card,” Kelly said. “Our whole goal is just to get you [the reader] to your goal.”
Suuure.

BTW no mention of Bankrate or Red Ventures anywhere... This smells like a paid piece...

Since its founding, Digiday has confronted truths in the media and marketing industry with incisive, unflinching coverage of the challenges and opportunities of media’s transformation.
Old Oct 7, 19, 7:23 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by gpapadop View Post
This is the post I am linking to today...

Amazing!

https://digiday.com/media/points-guy...ffiliate-fees/
Wait...you mean to tell me that everyone at TPG isn't just doing this to share their love of this hobby with family and friends, paying all expenses from Brian's own pocket??

Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
More events!

Suuure.

BTW no mention of Bankrate or Red Ventures anywhere... This smells like a paid piece...
More TPG events - it's like a dream come true! Maybe an ice cream social or a barn-raising, just to keep to that wholesome, old-fashioned ideal of helping people meet their goals.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Oct 7, 19, 11:18 am

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Originally Posted by 84fiero View Post
...just to keep to that wholesome, old-fashioned ideal of helping people meet their goals.
Gee, where have I heard that before? Oh, that's right, multi-level marketing
84fiero likes this.
Old Oct 7, 19, 3:09 pm

Programs: DL SM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by diburning View Post
The fact that you called us “Flyertalk Insiders” shows how much you’ve lost touch with the rest of us. Save for a few company reps and a few shills, the majority of flyertalk users are consumers, most of which are educated/savvy consumers who are not the gullible target audience of TPG. We’re simply critiquing the “content” that TPG is publishing and their dishonest business practices. That is all.

Looking at your posting history it seems that you used to be one of us, coming here asking questions and getting answers. Heck, you even critiqued mommy bloggers as being more opaque than cc bloggers.
I'm sure Dia will come back in two years to scold us for having the audacity to question the business practices of her employer--sorry, the company she is an independent contractor for-- without following her prescribed rules, and lacking modica of decorum.
Old Oct 10, 19, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL SM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Adam1222 View Post
I'm sure Dia will come back in two years to scold us for having the audacity to question the business practices of her employer--sorry, the company she is an independent contractor for-- without following her prescribed rules, and lacking modica of decorum.
Well, it seems Dia does indeed lack a modicum of decorum, as she flew in to make intemperate accusations, and then disappeared and refused to engage with responses to them. How rude.
84fiero likes this.
Old Oct 13, 19, 7:43 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
Originally Posted by stuck720 View Post
Signatures don't show on mobile, but thanks for your snarky response.

Looks like you have an unhealthy obsession with bloggers, since you have an entire blog about bloggers.

And let me get this straight, you criticize TPG's parent company for dominating the travel blog space, and then you have posts begging people to use your links that lead back to... a different site owned by TPG's parent company? "Hey, you know who is sketchy? These guys! Oh, but they're not sketchy if you give them money but I get a cut in the process".

You're quite an interesting one.
George IS interesting!!!!

He's like what Perez Hilton used to be for celebs...except without the drawing all over the faces.

And there is nothing more or less unhealthy about his obsession with bloggers and affiliate income than the bloggers' obsession with points and affiliate income. Except George makes a little bit of money from his obsession and affiliates and the titans make a crapton of money from theirs.

One of my proudest achievement as a travel (as opposed to points and miles) blogger is a linkback from https://travelbloggerbuzz.com/
84fiero and Adam1222 like this.
Old Oct 21, 19, 7:14 am
TBD
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: All The Programs
Just in case you thought TPG had any credibility left .... Ben Smithson tried to enter Pakistan without a visa.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/land-in-a-country-without-entry-rights/

At least he wasn't blaming TK, though (and why is the photo of a WY ticket?).
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Oct 21, 19, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by TBD View Post
Just in case you thought TPG had any credibility left .... Ben Smithson tried to enter Pakistan without a visa.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/land-...-entry-rights/

So apparently TK doesn't check in London?
Old Oct 21, 19, 7:27 am

TPG have missed pointing out hat Pakistan is the ideal destination for the sole female traveller. As recommend by Forbes.
Old Oct 21, 19, 7:56 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/land-...-entry-rights/

Before boarding the flight to Pakistan, all he had was verbal statement of an embassy worker, which along with $1 will get you a cup of coffee. Kinda surprised that TK let him board, though I guess gate agent roulette can get you anyone from a real stickler or someone very lax.

I guess the good thing is maybe some of the noobs reading TPG will learn a good lesson.
Old Oct 21, 19, 9:29 am
TBD
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: All The Programs
I'm sure visa issues happen even with seasoned business travelers ... but I'm shocked that we even need to consider that TPG readers may not know that visa requirements are indeed requirements to enter a country ....
Old Oct 21, 19, 12:00 pm

I'm sure visa issues happen even with seasoned business travelers ... but I'm shocked that we even need to consider that TPG readers may not know that visa requirements are indeed requirements to enter a country ....
I'm not sure about that. I don't know if anybody on FT would venture to go to Pakistan without a visa.
Old Oct 21, 19, 9:25 pm

Transcript of a meeting at Bankrate in 2012:
"guys, I have an idea.... What if hire 3 formerly respected journalists and then 97 people who have googled a few times and then have them write about travel, but make sure they use cute titles and a nonsense rating system. Well just put links to products we sell in all of their 'articles' and then have the travel industry give us hundreds of thousands of dollars to put on a fake 'awards show'. The best part is that we will prey on people who literally know nothing and believe that if we post hundreds of times and flood the internet with SEO, our writers must be impartial experts.

We can call it TBS... Total B*** S***. Dammit our lawyers say that acronym is taken. Well there's this tall guy who really likes expensive clothes, and I bet we can convince him to go to parties all over the world on our dime if we allow him discretion to hire 'interns.' yeah if that Elizabeth Warren person ever goes anywhere we are screwed."
84fiero and diburning like this.
Old Oct 22, 19, 6:20 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum
TBS sure pays a lot more than other methods online.

"It's all about conversions".

Brian had no idea about the banks paying high $$ for selling credit cards until he talked to Ingy/Rick, founder of Frugal Travel Guy who sold way too early and now he is back wanting to do it all over again...

And the TBS goes on, yawn.
84fiero likes this.
Old Oct 23, 19, 12:14 am

Programs: DL GM/KM
TPG readers are likely to consider that Amex, or perhaps MasterCard, would satisfy the requirements.
kokonutz, 84fiero and Adam1222 like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: