Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Old Oct 5, 19, 8:13 am
  #1276  
Used to be diaworld
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: DC Metro
Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Dontcareist,
Posts: 182
Originally Posted by Adam1222 View Post
You know what I was thinking today? This blog needs another mommy writer.... Apparently the Way to teach children about miles and points is signing them up for credit cards! Dia and Summer are shook.
Since my name got mentioned in this forum, I thought a few notes might add some context. Disclosure: I'm a freelancer, not a TPG staff member.

1. Here's what I had to say on TPG about teens and credit: https://thepointsguy.com/guide/how-t...-about-credit/
2. I have never had a post edited in a way that made me uncomfortable, or that I wouldn't have published on my own site. Some of my rougher edges have been polished, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
3. Flyertalk insiders are not TPG's target audience, IMHO.
4. If something infuriates you every time you read it, why on earth are you still reading it? (Note to self: I haven't been here in a while, now I remember why. Stay off of this forum in future.)
5. If you have any questions or comments, please speak to me directly at Chicago Seminars or via DM @thedealmommy on Twitter. Please use your real name if you do so, as I do on social media and on my articles. Sunshine is the best disinfectant.

Take care, Dia
The Deal Mommy is offline  
Old Oct 5, 19, 8:27 am
  #1277  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: DL SM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 4,633
Originally Posted by The Deal Mommy View Post
Since my name got mentioned in this forum, I thought a few notes might add some context. Disclosure: I'm a freelancer, not a TPG staff member.

1. Here's what I had to say on TPG about teens and credit: https://thepointsguy.com/guide/how-t...-about-credit/
2. I have never had a post edited in a way that made me uncomfortable, or that I wouldn't have published on my own site. Some of my rougher edges have been polished, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
3. Flyertalk insiders are not TPG's target audience, IMHO.
4. If something infuriates you every time you read it, why on earth are you still reading it? (Note to self: I haven't been here in a while, now I remember why. Stay off of this forum in future.)
5. If you have any questions or comments, please speak to me directly at Chicago Seminars or via DM @thedealmommy on Twitter. Please use your real name if you do so, as I do on social media and on my articles. Sunshine is the best disinfectant.

Take care, Dia
Dia, you don't get to dictate the terms as to which people respond to the content you write and publish.
There is an irony in quoting Brandeis' line in a thread about the site that you "freelance" for that is entirely opaque and misleads consumers daily. You may have learned that line somewhere but it certainly doesn't stand for the principle that one must use their real name to critique a commercial publication and it's content.

(In addition, do you get paid for the Chicago Seminars? Because that's the sunshine that Brandeis was talking about)

Hope you and all the other mommy freelancers of TPG have a great weekend.
Adam1222 is offline  
Old Oct 5, 19, 8:49 am
  #1278  
Used to be diaworld
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: DC Metro
Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Dontcareist,
Posts: 182
Originally Posted by Adam1222 View Post
Dia, you don't get to dictate the terms as to which people respond to the content you write and publish.
There is an irony in quoting Brandeis' line in a thread about the site that you "freelance" for that is entirely opaque and misleads consumers daily. You may have learned that line somewhere but it certainly doesn't stand for the principle that one must use their real name to critique a commercial publication and it's content.

(In addition, do you get paid for the Chicago Seminars? Because that's the sunshine that Brandeis was talking about)

Hope you and all the other mommy freelancers of TPG have a great weekend.
No one gets paid for Chicago Seminars. I would think Flyertalk Insiders would know that. We get our rooms comped and our flights reimbursed (to a point), but no speaking fees or other compensation. It's been that way for ten years.

I'm not dictating anything, simply asking for a modicum of decorum. If that's too much for you, I understand.
The Deal Mommy is offline  
Old Oct 5, 19, 8:54 am
  #1279  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: DL SM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 4,633
Originally Posted by The Deal Mommy View Post
No one gets paid for Chicago Seminars. I would think Flyertalk Insiders would know that. We get our rooms comped and our flights reimbursed (to a point), but no speaking fees or other compensation. It's been that way for ten years.

I'm not dictating anything, simply asking for a modicum of decorum. If that's too much for you, I understand.
You can be as snarky as you like, but insisting people only critique your work in specific forums and use their full names in doing so has nothing to do with a "modicum of decorum." It seems you really are enjoying malapropisms here.

(PS : being paid to travel somewhere is compensation. I don't follow the Chicago Seminars because, as is detailed at other places on this site, they are garbage.)
84fiero likes this.
Adam1222 is offline  
Old Oct 5, 19, 8:56 am
  #1280  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,166
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Apple controls who gets review units and also controls who can buy rather large quantities of iPhones without going through the common channels of waiting in line (online or at the stores) to get them.

Apple is nowhere near as generous in handing out complimentary flagship devices to rather higher profile people as Samsung is. Samsung seems to just dump massive numbers of their flagship devices upon sports and entertainment figures it favors.

All major companies selling into mass retail markets seem to do what they can to get their message/brand the attention they want. How they do it varies. And their methods -- just like with the methods of the airlines and hotel and travel credit card companies -- are built on one or all of the following: influencing via access or other favors/goodies.

Some people master the art of taking from big money benefactors without feeling obliged or behaving in a way that appears to make them seem obliged to their big money benefactors, but most don't. And it shows in the miles and points (and credit card sales) blog space too.
Isn't Samsung the one that got caught paying people to do viral promotions? As in, a guy on a bus talks to another one about how great his new Samsung phone is. But he is paid.
s0ssos is online now  
Old Oct 5, 19, 8:58 am
  #1281  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,166
Originally Posted by The Deal Mommy View Post
3. Flyertalk insiders are not TPG's target audience, IMHO.
Why would anybody who are is FTer read TPG? Pointless drivel. Maybe an introduction to points. It is like the "dummies" version of books.
84fiero and Adam1222 like this.
s0ssos is online now  
Old Oct 5, 19, 8:59 am
  #1282  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: DL SM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 4,633
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
Why would anybody who are is FTer read TPG? Pointless drivel. Maybe an introduction to points. It is like the "dummies" version of books.
No the people who write the dummies version aren't selling other products and misleading their readers for profit.

If you are looking forward to a post called "How to Misuse Aphorisms ....with Kids!", TPG may be the right place.

Also, thanks for your first post in 2+ years, Dia, complete with pedantry of what people should and shouldn't say on this site.

Last edited by Adam1222; Oct 5, 19 at 11:05 am
Adam1222 is offline  
Old Oct 5, 19, 2:43 pm
  #1283  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Programs: Airline Free Agent, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum
Posts: 2,831
On Monday I am posting an article on my site about TPG that shows EXACTLY why FT people is NOT their target market. Like there was any doubt about that!

Dia used to not like Mommy Points at all but ever since they both get paid by the RV guys, they are best girfriends. Maybe not, but they sure like go back and forth and like/RT their tweets on Twitter.

Chicago Seminars is a venue for people who make a living in this business (masquerading as "hobbyists" lol) to work on their business relationships. Has been this way ever since the Night Line crew shadowed Ingy, FTG founder. Who should have waited to sell out to Red Ventures instead of Internet Brands that has really driven FT to..pieces with this horrific design! And instead the moderators doing something about THAT, they 'll likely ban my post for "violations" or something...

But she is right...I stopped reading TPG, I only see the headlines on Twitter these days...I suggest you ignore it too but then...what else would we talk about this in this thread hey?
84fiero and Adam1222 like this.
gpapadop is offline  
Old Oct 5, 19, 4:47 pm
  #1284  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: DL SM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 4,633
Originally Posted by gpapadop View Post
On Monday I am posting an article on my site about TPG that shows EXACTLY why FT people is NOT their target market. Like there was any doubt about that!

Dia used to not like Mommy Points at all but ever since they both get paid by the RV guys, they are best girfriends. Maybe not, but they sure like go back and forth and like/RT their tweets on Twitter.

Chicago Seminars is a venue for people who make a living in this business (masquerading as "hobbyists" lol) to work on their business relationships. Has been this way ever since the Night Line crew shadowed Ingy, FTG founder. Who should have waited to sell out to Red Ventures instead of Internet Brands that has really driven FT to..pieces with this horrific design! And instead the moderators doing something about THAT, they 'll likely ban my post for "violations" or something...

But she is right...I stopped reading TPG, I only see the headlines on Twitter these days...I suggest you ignore it too but then...what else would we talk about this in this thread hey?

As you know, ignoring predatory conduct by the financial services industry- which TPG is a part ot- always goes so well
Adam1222 is offline  
Old Oct 5, 19, 7:20 pm
  #1285  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 31
Originally Posted by gpapadop View Post
On Monday I am posting an article on my site about TPG that shows EXACTLY why FT people is NOT their target market. Like there was any doubt about that!
Sorry for being uninformed, but what is your site? I only recently learned that another member posting in this forum had a UK blog about trading a specific sexual favor for points, or something like that.

Sorry, I only am familiar with the big sites to troll them.
hugolover and 84fiero like this.
stuck720 is offline  
Old Oct 6, 19, 5:38 am
  #1286  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Programs: Airline Free Agent, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum
Posts: 2,831
Originally Posted by stuck720 View Post
Sorry, I only am familiar with the big sites to troll them.
Look at the bottom of posts, it is there
hugolover and 84fiero like this.
gpapadop is offline  
Old Oct 6, 19, 9:11 am
  #1287  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South Park, CO
Programs: Tegridy Elite
Posts: 5,283
Originally Posted by The Deal Mommy View Post
Since my name got mentioned in this forum, I thought a few notes might add some context. Disclosure: I'm a freelancer, not a TPG staff member.

1. Here's what I had to say on TPG about teens and credit: https://thepointsguy.com/guide/how-t...-about-credit/
2. I have never had a post edited in a way that made me uncomfortable, or that I wouldn't have published on my own site. Some of my rougher edges have been polished, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
3. Flyertalk insiders are not TPG's target audience, IMHO.
4. If something infuriates you every time you read it, why on earth are you still reading it? (Note to self: I haven't been here in a while, now I remember why. Stay off of this forum in future.)
5. If you have any questions or comments, please speak to me directly at Chicago Seminars or via DM @thedealmommy on Twitter. Please use your real name if you do so, as I do on social media and on my articles. Sunshine is the best disinfectant.

Take care, Dia
TPG is a business. You're also running a business yourself as a writer. For any business to expect not to be critiqued is unrealistic. To insist that readers only comment via DM or in person, vice other venues, is a rather strange perspective for a working writer.

FT is full of threads commenting on practically every major airline, hotel, booking service, bank, etc. out there...this particular forum doesn't have anything on the discussions taking place in those other forums if you want to "complain about complaining". TPG and others routinely review and critique airline and hotel products - with both positive and negative comments. Yelp, Angie's List, TA, Consumer Reports, the list goes on of entities discussing business products and services - sometimes only for the pure entertainment value of said discussion, in the case of shows such as Mystery Science Theater 3000 . It's perplexing why P&M blogs feel they should be exempt from such discussion.

It's especially because TPG targets unsuspecting newbies that the company should not be surprised when those of us who know better call them out when the site provides (speaking in general not about your recent post specifically) incorrect or misleading info, for example. I'll comment on the TPG post itself too, though that doesn't do any good when it gets deleted from the site.

Here on FT it's not uncommon to see posts by newbies who are trying to redeem miles for XX trip and can't figure it out or don't find availability. They often say that they got such-and-such credit cards based on TPG and other blogs who said they should get it, but now need help actually using said miles/points. TPG doesn't care at that point because they've made their money from the noob and no one at TPG is going to help teach the person "how to fish". So yeah, those of us who are seeing what happens after the sale may have something to say about TPG's content and business practices, regardless of whether we're the "target audience" or not.

Originally Posted by The Deal Mommy View Post
No one gets paid for Chicago Seminars. I would think Flyertalk Insiders would know that. We get our rooms comped and our flights reimbursed (to a point), but no speaking fees or other compensation. It's been that way for ten years.

I'm not dictating anything, simply asking for a modicum of decorum. If that's too much for you, I understand.
I don't see anyone here writing in poor taste or being impolite.

Receiving payment for a room and flights is compensation. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, but it is what it is.
GUWonder and Adam1222 like this.

Last edited by 84fiero; Oct 6, 19 at 9:12 am Reason: spacing
84fiero is offline  
Old Oct 6, 19, 10:20 am
  #1288  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 31
Originally Posted by gpapadop View Post
Look at the bottom of posts, it is there
Signatures don't show on mobile, but thanks for your snarky response.

Looks like you have an unhealthy obsession with bloggers, since you have an entire blog about bloggers.

And let me get this straight, you criticize TPG's parent company for dominating the travel blog space, and then you have posts begging people to use your links that lead back to... a different site owned by TPG's parent company? "Hey, you know who is sketchy? These guys! Oh, but they're not sketchy if you give them money but I get a cut in the process".

You're quite an interesting one.
stuck720 is offline  
Old Oct 6, 19, 8:33 pm
  #1289  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New England
Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Posts: 3,891
Originally Posted by The Deal Mommy View Post
No one gets paid for Chicago Seminars. I would think Flyertalk Insiders would know that. We get our rooms comped and our flights reimbursed (to a point), but no speaking fees or other compensation. It's been that way for ten years.

I'm not dictating anything, simply asking for a modicum of decorum. If that's too much for you, I understand.
The fact that you called us “Flyertalk Insiders” shows how much you’ve lost touch with the rest of us. Save for a few company reps and a few shills, the majority of flyertalk users are consumers, most of which are educated/savvy consumers who are not the gullible target audience of TPG. We’re simply critiquing the “content” that TPG is publishing and their dishonest business practices. That is all.

Looking at your posting history it seems that you used to be one of us, coming here asking questions and getting answers. Heck, you even critiqued mommy bloggers as being more opaque than cc bloggers.
flashware, 84fiero and Adam1222 like this.

Last edited by diburning; Oct 6, 19 at 8:50 pm
diburning is offline  
Old Oct 7, 19, 5:24 am
  #1290  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Programs: Airline Free Agent, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum
Posts: 2,831
This is the post I am linking to today...

Amazing!

https://digiday.com/media/points-guy...ffiliate-fees/
84fiero likes this.
gpapadop is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: