Reload this Page >

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Old Sep 26, 19, 8:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by bthotugigem05 View Post
Apple does, however, control who gets review units. Access is just as important as money sometimes. I'm not saying anything unethical happened here (nor am I aware whether or not Zach got a review unit), just pointing that out.

I'm pumped for Zach that his article got so much pub, it was really well done.
Apple controls who gets review units and also controls who can buy rather large quantities of iPhones without going through the common channels of waiting in line (online or at the stores) to get them.

Apple is nowhere near as generous in handing out complimentary flagship devices to rather higher profile people as Samsung is. Samsung seems to just dump massive numbers of their flagship devices upon sports and entertainment figures it favors.

All major companies selling into mass retail markets seem to do what they can to get their message/brand the attention they want. How they do it varies. And their methods -- just like with the methods of the airlines and hotel and travel credit card companies -- are built on one or all of the following: influencing via access or other favors/goodies.

Some people master the art of taking from big money benefactors without feeling obliged or behaving in a way that appears to make them seem obliged to their big money benefactors, but most don't. And it shows in the miles and points (and credit card sales) blog space too.
Old Sep 27, 19, 2:53 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
All the links to apple in the articles have tags to measure the impact. The sjv.io system behind that is to track influencer & affiliate marketing. Also the posts started the day the new phone was launched so he definitely got a head start.
84fiero and diburning like this.
Old Sep 28, 19, 6:10 pm

Programs: DL SM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
You know what I was thinking today? This blog needs another mommy writer.... Apparently the Way to teach children about miles and points is signing them up for credit cards! Dia and Summer are shook.
Old Sep 29, 19, 4:50 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Adam1222 View Post
You know what I was thinking today? This blog needs another mommy writer.... Apparently the Way to teach children about miles and points is signing them up for credit cards! Dia and Summer are shook.
I bet we'll soon see some guest posts by the kids. Though their writing quality will probably be better than most of the TPG staff!
Old Sep 29, 19, 4:56 pm

Programs: DL SM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by 84fiero View Post
I bet we'll soon see some guest posts by the kids. Though their writing quality will probably be better than most of the TPG staff!
Some of the commenters are praising parenting as apparently the way to "set your kids up for success" is making them authorized users on cards you sell.
And here I thought it was a combination of being born into privilege, modeling hard work and ethical conduct, and showing unconditional love and support.
Old Sep 29, 19, 6:37 pm

To be fair, making a kid an AU used to contribute to their credit score. That went away a while ago IIRC.

But, yes, helping establish a credit score early on is useful in US society. For all sorts of crappy reasons, but it is part of the process.
Old Sep 29, 19, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
To be fair, making a kid an AU used to contribute to their credit score. That went away a while ago IIRC.

But, yes, helping establish a credit score early on is useful in US society. For all sorts of crappy reasons, but it is part of the process.
Don't dispute that it's useful.
Comments like "that's what will put your child on a path to success" just seem a bit over-the-top.
Old Sep 30, 19, 7:10 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
As George Burns advised: "The key to success is sincerity. If you can fake that you've got it made."
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Sep 30, 19, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero View Post
As George Burns advised: "The key to success is sincerity. If you can fake that you've got it made."
On that ground, the mommies of The Points Guy are uber-models for success for their children
84fiero likes this.
Old Oct 2, 19, 4:36 am

When did that go away? It's not too long ago that I was seeing AU card cancellations be followed by a decline in the credit score of AU card holders even when the former AU card holders didn't engage in any additional credit-related activity of their own.
Old Oct 2, 19, 9:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Originally Posted by Adam1222 View Post
On that ground, the mommies of The Points Guy are uber-models for success for their children
That's pretty messed up, judging someone's ability to successfully parent their kids just because they write for a blog you dislike.
Old Oct 2, 19, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by bthotugigem05 View Post
That's pretty messed up, judging someone's ability to successfully parent their kids just because they write for a blog you dislike.
If that's your takeaway from a response to a GEORGE BURNS JOKE, oy.
The entire discussion was about .... other people's comments about what constituted successful parenting.
Nonetheless, judging someone's parenting based on their blog posts about parenting is not messed up at all.
Toodles.
84fiero likes this.
Old Oct 4, 19, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
When did that go away? It's not too long ago that I was seeing AU card cancellations be followed by a decline in the credit score of AU card holders even when the former AU card holders didn't engage in any additional credit-related activity of their own.
I had thought I read about that at some point after people were gaming the system a bit too aggressively. Seems that the impact is de-emphasized but not fully gone.
Old Oct 4, 19, 5:58 am

I had thought I read about that at some point after people were gaming the system a bit too aggressively. Seems that the impact is de-emphasized but not fully gone.
The gaming of the credit scores via AU accounts seemed most aggressive in the 1990s, even when it was marketed a lot by individuals using ads in papers and magazines to solicit customers with bad credit scores/histories. Maybe it became even more aggressive in the 2000s or 2010s, as the internet has a way to scale up and scope up gaming in ways that were not as commonly taken up in the era before most people got online.

The credit score impact of being/not being AUs may have been de-emphasized since then, but there was enough of an emphasis from being AUs on some accounts that being or not being AUs on some accounts meant material implications on and via credit scoring even earlier this year.

Have any of the miles and points bloggers engaged in credit card sales tried to get in on that "business" of using AU accounts to game credit scores? I would have assumed it has come up at least at times, even as they make their money from the opening of new credit card accounts and not from add-on activity like post-application calls to add AUs to approved accounts.

I would assume TPG accepts money from credit card issuers way more than it accepts free flights from airlines.
Old Oct 4, 19, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post

Have any of the miles and points bloggers engaged in credit card sales tried to get in on that "business" of using AU accounts to game credit scores? I would have assumed it has come up at least at times, even as they make their money from the opening of new credit card accounts and not from add-on activity like post-application calls to add AUs to approved accounts.
There are still somehow services that pay people to add low credit people as AUs to their accounts to repair credit, and that's most likely just to show something to the client who paid them even more money. Highly doubt it works quickly or well, though, given the issues in years past with gaming of this stuff. The only place I've even seen that hawked was on a travel cards Facebook group and cant remember if that was by the owner or by someone in the group posting some sketchy stuff.

I don't even think DoC encourages that kind of thing, because it probably doesn't work. Adding a child, for a long time, as an AU, likely helps build credit still. Adding someone for a short period probably doesn't do anything, especially if the credit activity doesn't match the user's history. But I'm not a credit bureau.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: