Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Old Aug 30, 19, 7:32 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by hugolover View Post
I confess I don't read TPG very much. I just notice that the posts have so few comments that I presumed it to be like auto-generated stuff. Princess Lori Zaino? That's a drag name right?
No, Lori is a female TPG staff member. Glancing at their team page there seems to be an almost equal split between male and female. For all its faults, I don't get the impression that Brian/Bankrate/RedVentures have necessarily been biased in staff hiring. So long as the employee can crank out vapid content for a shill-crazy company, of course.

Originally Posted by Nicoolio View Post
Wow, that was really full cheese - Also just saw this -- a new hire - bolding mine

https://thepointsguy.com/news/tpg-up...an-richardson/
Oh, well if they're going to supercharge TPG then that changes everything!

It certainly makes sense to diversify in this P&M environment. I guess it sounds like they want to sort of be a combo of a P&M site kludged with TripAdvisor, Lonely Planet type stuff?
Adam1222 and diburning like this.
Old Sep 2, 19, 12:58 am

Programs: OZ Diamond
I pop in to TPG every once in awhile, for reasons. Noticed a "Top 9 Priority Pass Lounged in the World" article. Now, I have my own PP and also a full CC strategy, so I feel in no danger of being "pushed" into CCs. But the funny part is: the article is just the exact same one from last year with (I think) a single lounge swapped out. They didn't even bother to either write "Updated" in the title, or just cut/paste into a new page. They just used the old article, with comments from last year still there. That's some high quality "meh" right there.
84fiero and Adam1222 like this.
Old Sep 2, 19, 6:24 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
Originally Posted by SightseeMC View Post
I pop in to TPG every once in awhile, for reasons. Noticed a "Top 9 Priority Pass Lounged in the World" article. Now, I have my own PP and also a full CC strategy, so I feel in no danger of being "pushed" into CCs. But the funny part is: the article is just the exact same one from last year with (I think) a single lounge swapped out. They didn't even bother to either write "Updated" in the title, or just cut/paste into a new page. They just used the old article, with comments from last year still there. That's some high quality "meh" right there.
TPG reviews PP lounges to sell credit cards. I review them because I visited them and to sell PP memberships. I actually beat TPG in organic SEO on several lounge reviews....which goes to show that they aren't trying very hard to win organic SEO in that space..with their DA they should be crushing me. In fact, their pillar article has just one affiliate link to buy PP directly. But over a dozen credit card affiliate links.

And of course, TPG is solely focused on the US market even though PP membership has way more utility in South America, Asia and Europe. Because US credit cards pay more than PP affiliate conversions.

All of which is to say that TPG knows what it is: a US-centric credit card selling machine. And it does that quite well.

But that DOES make it beatable in SEO even by a piker like me because, as you say, they are lazy about their approach to PP!
84fiero, Adam1222 and SightseeMC like this.

Last edited by kokonutz; Sep 2, 19 at 10:44 pm
Old Sep 3, 19, 12:53 am

Perhaps the next acquisition target for Red Ventures?
Old Sep 3, 19, 2:11 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by kokonutz View Post
All of which is to say that TPG knows what it is: a US-centric credit card selling machine. And it does that quite well.

To their credit they are trying to diversify...

In the meantime TPG UK becomes a drama lama:

FYI: anyone with a *G card can use that checkin area in MUC
Old Sep 3, 19, 7:18 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post

https://twitter.com/ThePointsGuyUK/s...43121203875841

Really grasping at straws to create "content" there!
Old Sep 3, 19, 7:54 am

Have they got permission to film the staff? Heís lucky he didnít call the police for that filming incident.
Old Sep 3, 19, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
It's such a vastly different business model outside of the US. I guess they are 'banking' on the brand to imply expertise in the space.

https://twitter.com/ThePointsGuyUK/s...43121203875841

Has that guy never flown before!?

The agent asks for his Hon card. Instead of saying 'I'm flying first class' he gets all flustered and confused.

Not inspiring a ton of confidence on the 'expertise' of the brand there....
84fiero likes this.

Last edited by kokonutz; Sep 3, 19 at 9:56 am
Old Sep 3, 19, 9:56 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
That guy is not even a checkin agent but a service agent policing the entrance to the F checkin area. If you walk past them with a friendly nod they don't even ask for a card or booking confirmation
kokonutz and 84fiero like this.
Old Sep 3, 19, 10:56 am
TBD
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: All The Programs
I think the better headline is "Is this acceptable first class attire?" (or "behavior")

I think he got the response that he deserved.
Old Sep 3, 19, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by TBD View Post
I think the better headline is "Is this acceptable first class attire?" (or "behavior")

I think he got the response that he deserved.
Yeah, he acted really squirrelly when asked a simple question. Maybe because he was nervous to have a cameraman following him around? And the comment/question about his attire was ridiculous. I've flown in LH F in a t-shirt lots of times.
84fiero likes this.
Old Sep 3, 19, 9:05 pm
TBD
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by kokonutz View Post
Yeah, he acted really squirrelly when asked a simple question. Maybe because he was nervous to have a cameraman following him around? And the comment/question about his attire was ridiculous. I've flown in LH F in a t-shirt lots of times.
If we were talking about a fine dining restaurant in NYC, no one would think anything of a host(ess) questioning a patron in ripped jeans and a t-shirt. Lufthansa is trying to present a similarly upscale experience and they're right to push back on someone who detracts from that environment. It's a wonder they allow people in the cabin on points at all.
Old Sep 3, 19, 10:55 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), HHonors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, SkyPesos, AAdvantage, MR
How do I put this delicately. It seems to me, you can only be accepted for a job at TPG if you're a (gentlemen) of a certain persuasion. As with most of the miles blogs.

Rob's HFP is basically a protected minority of the points blogging world.
I confess I don't read TPG very much. I just notice that the posts have so few comments that I presumed it to be like auto-generated stuff. Princess Lori Zaino? That's a drag name right?
While I too have noticed that there seems to be a high % of gay men in the aviation blogging world, your point is absurd. There are plenty of straight sellouts there too.
84fiero, Adam1222 and diburning like this.
Old Sep 4, 19, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
My team is 33% gay, 33% female and with an age spread of 23 to 48.

Next hire should theoretically be a wheelchair-bound pensioner-of-colour .....

We do however apparently require that all team members are either a) German, b) have one German parent or c) are married to a German .....
Old Sep 4, 19, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
My team is 33% gay, 33% female and with an age spread of 23 to 48.

Next hire should theoretically be a wheelchair-bound pensioner-of-colour .....

We do however apparently require that all team members are either a) German, b) have one German parent or c) are married to a German .....
Ageist!!!!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: