Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Old Aug 29, 19, 1:12 pm

Programs: DL SM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by hugolover View Post
How do I put this delicately. It seems to me, you can only be accepted for a job at TPG if you're a (gentlemen) of a certain persuasion. As with most of the miles blogs.

Rob's HFP is basically a protected minority of the points blogging world.

Not sure what you're suggesting, but Benet Wilson sold out to TPG, as have all of the various mommies, Katie Genter, and Princess Lori Zaino suggest otherwise.
Old Aug 29, 19, 1:15 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
How do I put this delicately. It seems to me, you can only be accepted for a job at TPG if you're a (gentlemen) of a certain persuasion. As with most of the miles blogs.

Rob's HFP is basically a protected minority of the points blogging world.
Drew isn't gay.
Old Aug 29, 19, 1:29 pm

I confess I don't read TPG very much. I just notice that the posts have so few comments that I presumed it to be like auto-generated stuff. Princess Lori Zaino? That's a drag name right?
Old Aug 29, 19, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222 View Post
Unfortunately, we've seen the quality of other talented peoples' work drop massively once they have quotas of garbage, promoting TPG's advertisers.
Red Ventures clearly has two goals (besides make a ton of money without regard to quality);
1- Crowd out other sources of travel/miles/points information by pumping out "content" nonstop, even if it is a monkey or a mommy simply summarizing a wikipedia page.
2- Buy out said sources and attempt to trade off any integrity/reputation they may have had.
Guess we'll have to wait and see. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but Drew's website wasn't acquired. He could potentially still keep his site going as a second job or as a hobby.
Old Aug 29, 19, 4:28 pm

Programs: DL SM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Astrophsx View Post
Guess we'll have to wait and see. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but Drew's website wasn't acquired. He could potentially still keep his site going as a second job or as a hobby.
Unfortunately I will have to presume whatever agreements he has signed included some sort of non disparagement agreement with respect to Red Ventures, its employees, and it's sponsors/benefactors. To do otherwise would make me as naive as the consumers Brian Kelly and other RV employees deceive on a daily basis. I cant trust any content from someone with a business relationship with such a dishonest, low-quality company to be objective.
Old Aug 29, 19, 5:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
Did anyone else watch Brian's video TR from his MIA-GRU flight in AA F? I've never cringed so hard in my life. He thinks he's so cool and witty when in reality he's just a dork with really nothing of substance to add. Such a phony!
Wow, that was really full cheese - Also just saw this -- a new hire - bolding mine

I’m really excited to announce Nathan Richardson as my Number Two and Executive Vice President of TPG. In this role, he will be leading our business strategy, product, marketing, partnerships and public relations. Simply put, he will be working with me to take TPG from a media platform to a consumer travel hub with indispensable tools that will help our millions of readers maximize their earning and burning of points.

Nathan led Yahoo! Finance, which has grown into the number one online finance and business destination. He also served as the head of Dow Jones Online, overseeing huge media brands such as WSJ.com, Marketwatch.com, and Barrons.com.

In addition to Nathan’s digital media experience, he has invested in and served as an adviser to several financial technology companies in the past. Nathan also serves on the advisory board for The Brookings Institution’s Center for Universal Education and on the leadership council of Tech: NYC.

Most recently, Nathan founded and sold TradeIt, Inc., a set of patent pending technologies that enable retail investing, and cofounded #waywire with Sen. Cory Booker. Nathan also built and served as the President of Gilt City, a subsidiary of Gilt Groupe, Inc., leading the launch of GiltMAN.

In his new role, Nathan will help supercharge TPG to the next level, diversifying the company into new partnerships, industries and markets. He’ll be serving as a key leader in expanding TPG’s travel portfolio, running the day-to-day business operations and performance as well as developing the marketing, customer experience and analytics teams.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/tpg-up...an-richardson/
Old Aug 29, 19, 6:23 pm

That's a drag name right?
Suggesting that Drew is gay or Brian only hires gay men or there are too many gay male bloggers & then making a drag queen comment? [and no, "princess" is not actually her name]

Get over it, people are gay. Sorry if that is threatening to you, or whatever. There are PLENTY of gay people in this industry and in the world these days.
Old Aug 29, 19, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
I have no idea what their plan is after hiring SO. MANY. PEOPLE. over there who all seemingly have the exact same job description.

That makes like the 5th person they've hired this year with decades of experience in another industry.
Old Aug 29, 19, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222 View Post
I cant trust any content from someone with a business relationship with such a dishonest, low-quality company to be objective.
[redacted]

I'm sure they'll cope without you as a reader.

Last edited by oliver2002; Aug 30, 19 at 1:30 am Reason: https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#images
Old Aug 29, 19, 8:42 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Originally Posted by TBD View Post
I can't believe anyone would take a job at TPG. Surely they realize that this house of cards will fold at some point and leave them with nothing.
Yes, but to be fair, Id be tempted to milk it for all its worth in the meantime as well, because I could always go back to doing what I was doing before after TPG folds.
Old Aug 29, 19, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by diburning View Post
Yes, but to be fair, Id be tempted to milk it for all its worth in the meantime as well, because I could always go back to doing what I was doing before after TPG folds.
Yeah, but how could you ever make it again after leaving TPG without having Adam1222 as a reader?
Old Aug 29, 19, 10:24 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I’d be tempted to milk it for all it’s worth in the meantime

Well, it looks like over 100 are milking it good
84fiero likes this.
Old Aug 30, 19, 12:49 am

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Yeah, but how could you ever make it again after leaving TPG without having Adam1222 as a reader?
Critics can't criticize the articles unless they read them first
Old Aug 30, 19, 4:41 am

It's cute and glib and all, but I'm both not alone in my feelings, and the fact that more people don't realize how awful and deceptive the Points Guy is exactly the problem. Maybe if more people stopped excusing the choice of people to sell out.

I'm sorry my principles offend you so much.
diburning likes this.
Old Aug 30, 19, 7:29 am
TBD
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by diburning View Post
If you went back to your own site, you are presumably starting over in recruiting readers. I can't imagine what transferable skill TPG teaches you to take to another job in the interim.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: