The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
TPG regurgitates "content" from aviation news sites all the time, often with a delay.

And for the record, I despise OMAAT almost as much as I do TPG. OMAAT exists because Lucky made a name for himself defrauding airlines.
84fiero, Adam1222 and MNHunter like this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:42 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
A TPG writer just happens to come across a great gas card while going thru his mail. You can't make this stuff up

Every Monday to Saturday afternoon, one of my guilty pleasures is going through the mail. These days, there are routinely multiple credit card offers and mailers for both me and my wife. Many of these are the usual subprime offers that aren’t notable or smaller offers from cards that don’t hold much value. Every now and then however, a true gem shows up that otherwise would typically be overlooked.
84fiero likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Going through the mail is a guilty pleasure? Where do they find these people?
84fiero, Adam1222 and TBD like this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by josephstern
Going through the mail is a guilty pleasure? Where do they find these people?
Monkeys with typewriters.
84fiero likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 7:46 pm

Freebird Bought My Sister a $1,200 Delta First Class Ticket for $19

If you read the comments, Freebird has indicated that they do not book people in premium cabins, so this smells like special treatment in exchange for a glowing review.

What Type of Plane You Are, as Told by Your Zodiac Sign

Really? Complete utter garbage.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by diburning

If you read the comments, Freebird has indicated that they do not book people in premium cabins, so this smells like special treatment in exchange for a glowing review.

No personal experience w FreeBird but they do claim to rebook you even if it's the last available seat in business / first.

https://getfreebird.zendesk.com/hc/e...-is-disrupted-
Old Aug 4, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by diburning

Interesting about Freebird. I guess Lynyrd Skynyrd has really diversified - didn't know they were into the travel industry now!

Zodiac signs?! I really should apply for a job at TPG - it clearly doesn't take much skill or knowledge to get paid to write there.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 3:27 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

It seems Hyatt and Hilton CCs are paying extra these days (judging by the sudden increased appearance of these on VFTW and OMAAT).

TPG is not left behind:

Old Aug 6, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
He's been that big a Hyatt fan for a long time.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
Though it's still clear that Chase upped the payout on the Hyatt card, right?
Old Aug 7, 2019, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
I know that but am snickering about the Hilton getting squeezed in
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:01 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
Actually, not to confuse fallacy with facts, Lucky made a name for himself by being a very helpful member of FlyerTalk who gave a lot to the continuing formation of this travel community. His "name" and helpful demeanor subsequently earned him an election to the TalkBoard of FlyerTalk (by it's members) and he was helpful and instrumental as were others in helping forge and direct the continued success and valuable nature of what FlyerTalk is today—that is how he made a name for himself. He subsequently found it easier (as has others) to use a blog as an instrument to help others with advice and information than the (at times) signal/noise ratio challenges of a long thread in a bulletin board format.

Now you know some of the facts which I hope you find helpful. I can assure you that there's not too many long term members here on FlyerTalk that haven't some sort of indiscretion in their past as they grew up around the topic of miles + points and that includes regular members, moderators and the fabulous volunteers all over this community.

With this information solely designed to correct some information which was off topic—it seems like a great time to return to The Points Guy dialogue—now, where were you?
While this is a nice story, the question is always made a name amongst who?
Brian Kelly made a name for himself while doing recruiting for a finance firm, technically. He also made a name for himself and continues to do so by lending his imprint to conflicted credit card marketing in the guise of expertise rattled off by trained monkeys (with families!)
Ben may have made a name for himself in the erstwhile House of Miles by the way you discuss, but that wasn't what got him a story in Rolling Stone or has allowed the monetization of his site (on your platform).
And while the diatribe that we're offtopic i and stories of days of yore is always appreciated, this discussion had been moved to the right thread more than a week ago and you are the one resuscitating it. It's a shame others are applauding your bad behavior.

Where Flyertalk is today? You mean filled with people who were misled by posts on sites you are responsible that promise them easy free travel, leading them to take out credit, collect points, and then come here when they find it's not as easy as mammaandpappapoints suggested. If you want free help in figuring it out of course, few of the bloggers who get rich off of John Smith by selling him the latest subpar Chase product will do so. Instead those folks will come here to the members of the forum who aren't making a living off of selling false dreams. And they won't stick around a week after a post for a response to correct a "fallacy."

I am not sure what you "continue to care" other than your own reputation, because you continue to be, at least, complicit in the daily deception of consumers at the behest of credit card sales providers or travel providers.

Some indiscretion? I have never stolen from an airline. I have never committed fraud-- certainly not in the tens of thousands of dollars. And if I had, and been caught, I would be deeply deeply shamed. Most users of this website, including the volunteers you are essentially libeling by association, have not been banned from an airline or it's frequent flyer program. To refer to fraud on that level as an "indiscretion" suggests a flawed morality

So that's where we were, Mr. Petersen.

​​​​​
​​​​​​
84fiero, diburning and MNHunter like this.

Last edited by Adam1222; Aug 7, 2019 at 8:17 pm
Old Aug 8, 2019, 1:08 am

Post regarding OMAAT have been moved here: One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Regards Oliver2002
Mod EM&PR

Last edited by oliver2002; Aug 8, 2019 at 1:22 am Reason: fixed link
Old Aug 8, 2019, 1:15 am

oliver2002, I'm not sure if there's some sort of bug with the forums, but when I click your link, it first brings me to the first page of that thread, and then the page reloads and brings me back to your specific post.

Also, it looks like not every post transferred over to that thread, particularly Adam1222's post.

Last edited by diburning; Aug 8, 2019 at 1:35 am
Old Aug 8, 2019, 1:16 am

In other news, TPG published a ranking of US airports:

Of course no one knows how they got that ranking, but Gary Stoller " [...] multi-award-winning journalist who was USA TODAY's investigative travel editor for 17 years and a founding journalist of Conde Nast Traveler magazine." picks it up and publishes it in Forbes, calling TPG the ' The Points Guy travel website '. And this from the guy who according to his twitter bio is a " Journalist who pioneered investigative travel reporting"
SAN is of course elated and tweets the Forbes link:

You can't make this stuff up... :facepalm:
84fiero and diburning like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.