Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Old Jul 11, 19, 10:38 am

Programs: DL SM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
That's probably their goal -- continue to confuse the public by mixing editorial and advertising content, trading off the patina of legitimacy that former journalists have sold to the sales company. Unfortunately, even the "genuine" news pieces do not comply with journalistic standards and there is a lack of editorial independence.
jspira likes this.
Old Jul 11, 19, 7:25 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum
I think they are trying to be to travel what Business Insider became for business. Check to see how much Business Insider was sold for and that will explain it.

For a day or two this week, Ben at OMAAT was out posting all the TPG full time writers!

Why Raffles deleted his post? Hope it was not the moderator again
Old Jul 12, 19, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by gpapadop View Post
I think they are trying to be to travel what Business Insider became for business. Check to see how much Business Insider was sold for and that will explain it.

For a day or two this week, Ben at OMAAT was out posting all the TPG full time writers!

Why Raffles deleted his post? Hope it was not the moderator again
My marketing person came back with THE best TPG UK story from a meeting with a UK credit card exec, but I thought better of sharing it :-)
Old Jul 12, 19, 3:25 am

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
What concerns me more is how serious this outfit starts looking day by day. The fact that Ben M and 2-3 other legit writers are cranking out dozens of articles each month makes the card selling Red Ventures /Bankrate website look more like a news outlet.
That's their goal. This is why they get invited to aviation industry events, despite being in the financial sector.
Old Jul 15, 19, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Richard Kerr announced hes joining TPG full-time today.
Old Jul 16, 19, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diburning View Post
That's their goal. This is why they get invited to aviation industry events, despite being in the financial sector.
As long as media businesses remain valued at 6-8 x earnings and financial services businesses remain valued at 15-20 x earnings, I think you'll find we all claim to be in the financial services sector :-)
Old Jul 16, 19, 4:21 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by bthotugigem05 View Post
Richard Kerr announced hes joining TPG full-time today.
So much for taking a stand LOL
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Jul 26, 19, 8:31 pm

Programs: All of Them
How much did TPG sell to Bankrate? I'm guessing <$10M but I have no idea. Anyone have a guess?
Old Jul 27, 19, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

$15m is the oft-quoted figure, not sure what the original source was.

What is interesting is how easy that is on paper, vs other ways of making $15m. Assume 10 x earnings sale price (most people would want 15-20x) and $200 per application (low side). You only need to sell 20 cards per day to do that.
Old Jul 27, 19, 1:17 pm

Programs: DL SM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by bl540611 View Post
How much did TPG sell to Bankrate? I'm guessing <$10M but I have no idea. Anyone have a guess?
How does one really value a soul?
Old Jul 29, 19, 5:42 am

Contrary to many opinions here, I'm actually finding more useful (and interesting) information on TPG than any other blog site except Lucky's. Boarding Area, for example, is a complete mess now.
LAX_BillyJoe likes this.
Old Jul 29, 19, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by JetAway View Post
Contrary to many opinions here, I'm actually finding more useful (and interesting) information on TPG than any other blog site except Lucky's. Boarding Area, for example, is a complete mess now.
If you post 300 posts a day, one of them is bound to say something.
Old Jul 29, 19, 7:07 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Adam1222 View Post
How does one really value a soul?
Well, you have to have a soul first...

Originally Posted by JetAway View Post
I don't really visit TPG but I do agree that BA site is a mess.
Old Jul 29, 19, 7:32 am

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
BA is a platform. Except it's kind of like a flea market. You have credit card peddlers on the same platform as people writing about PaxEx, those who write about aviation news, and those who just write about what they like about the aviation industry.
84fiero likes this.
Old Jul 29, 19, 7:59 am

BA is a platform. Except it's kind of like a flea market. You have credit card peddlers on the same platform as people writing about PaxEx, those who write about aviation news, and those who just write about what they like about the aviation industry.
It's also weird to say one likes "Lucky"'s site in the same sentence as criticizing BA... One Mile at a Time is part of BA.
And at least 25% of content on TPG was previously posted on one of the BA sites. (Content, not ads)
But if things like "Why You Shouldn’t Let Fears of Sharks, Snakes and Other Animals Stop You From Traveling" or "The Best Funeral Parlors FOR FAMILIES" work for you, good for you.
84fiero likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: