Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Old Sep 24, 2017, 8:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by broland
Who the hell is this Alex Macheras dude? What credentials does he have?
A young guy who is big into planes and managed to build a surprisingly solid following, though without any journalistic integrity.
How on earth a 22 year old guy gets to be on board an Airbus inspection flight? Does he work for Airbus? Wouldn't that be a safety issue?
He does not, but he has a strong relationship with the company and uses that to his advantage for access to things like this and delivery flights.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 9:29 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Oh how I wish I could find that thread where someone else was on some sort of preview/unveiling event of the A350, and Alex Macheras was there, and all he did was run up, snap a few photos, and then disappeared, not taking part in any of the festivities.

I couldn't find the thread, but I did find his crappy "article."

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/08/pre...spection-a350/
Old Sep 24, 2017, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by diburning
Oh how I wish I could find that thread where someone else was on some sort of preview/unveiling event of the A350, and Alex Macheras was there, and all he did was run up, snap a few photos, and then disappeared, not taking part in any of the festivities.
This one.
diburning and broland like this.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite

I couldn't find the thread, but I did find his crappy "article."

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/08/pre...spection-a350/
So he's a post turtle. Out in the country you see a wooden fence post with a turtle on top. Clearly he didn't get up there by himself; he doesn't belong there; he doesn't know what he's doing while he is there...and you just want to know what idiot put him there to begin with.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by 84fiero
So he's a post turtle. Out in the country you see a wooden fence post with a turtle on top. Clearly he didn't get up there by himself; he doesn't belong there; he doesn't know what he's doing while he is there...and you just want to know what idiot put him there to begin with.
We could pretend former "editor in chief" did, but the people to blame are Brian, Bizrate, and, in the long term , Randy Petersen.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Randy Petersen.
bthotugigem05 likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExP 1MM, Smiles/GOL Diamond, TudoAzul/AZUL Diamond, HHonors Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by sbm12
A young guy who is big into planes and managed to build a surprisingly solid following, though without any journalistic integrity.
He does not, but he has a strong relationship with the company and uses that to his advantage for access to things like this and delivery flights.

OK, but what are his credentials? Nobody seems to know even if he finished high school (or the English equivalent ...) or his professional background other than his presence in Airbus activities.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 8:26 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
OK, but what are his credentials?
Groupie?

Professional fan-boy?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 8:45 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
OK, but what are his credentials? Nobody seems to know even if he finished high school (or the English equivalent ...) or his professional background other than his presence in Airbus activities.
None. He even gets on TV. https://www.linkedin.com/in/alexmacheras/

If news outlets are OK with using such people as 'experts' good for them.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Groupie?

Professional fan-boy?
I read Part 1 of the A350 article - about the actual inspection - and thought, on its own, it stood up quite well. It was written at the sort of level I would target for my own site, eg a non-technical frequent flyer audience who really don't care about the gritty details.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by oliver2002
None. He even gets on TV. https://www.linkedin.com/in/alexmacheras/

If news outlets are OK with using such people as 'experts' good for them.
I guess it's no worse than many of the "experts" that news outlets use for other subject matter sometimes! Anyway they could always use the Holiday Inn Express criterion
diburning likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 6:12 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Looks like Delta or Amex' s social media/PR team got TPG to write a post about how the 1000% MQD waiver increase is actually a good thing.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 6:21 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
As with FT, the miles and points blogs are populated by a large gallery of consumer-unfriendly, industry apologists. Can't say I'm surprised by what goes on at TPG too.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Completely incorrect info? I'm not surprised

Looking at the author's page, it seems that this person must also work for Buzzfeed, as all she writes are lists with zero research or fact checking.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 11:22 am

Completely incorrect info? I'm not surprised

Looking at the author's page, it seems that this person must also work for Buzzfeed, as all she writes are lists with zero research or fact checking.
Looks like she and her "team" write for several other websites. They even made an amazing Wix business page!
https://www.amandawowk.com/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.