Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
MMS links to the TPG post for Prestige.
(Ex) Mother in law does NOT approve!
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by gpapadop
(Ex) Mother in law does NOT approve!
Good thing there's no ex-MIL rule.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 4:54 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Seems like TPG currently has affiliate exclusivity for CSR and Prestige.
MMS links to the TPG post for Prestige.
wonder if there's a kickback.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by Adam1222
wonder if there's a kickback.
They're both owned by Bankrate.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:22 pm

They're both owned by Bankrate.
Was a joke. "Affiliate marketing" is a euphemism for kickbacks regardless.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 2:44 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Oh dear.

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/tip...-airline-food/

And I thought the days of "I like my job, but I hate all the passengers, and I hate actually doing work" attitude back when Sarah Steegar wrote for them was done when they replaced her with Carrie A Trey (which, I am almost convinced is a pseudonym because honestly, I wouldn't want to reveal my name either if all I did was complain about my job).

So it looks like Carrie hasn't seen what foreign carriers serve in Economy...

Of course, the comments don't disappoint.

Old Jul 31, 2017, 5:00 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by diburning
Oh dear.

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/tip...-airline-food/

And I thought the days of "I like my job, but I hate all the passengers, and I hate actually doing work" attitude back when Sarah Steegar wrote for them was done when they replaced her with Carrie A Trey (which, I am almost convinced is a pseudonym because honestly, I wouldn't want to reveal my name either if all I did was complain about my job).

So it looks like Carrie hasn't seen what foreign carriers serve in Economy...

Of course, the comments don't disappoint.

Wow. What a pathetic excuse for an article. But as you said it does give us some entertaining comments. A couple of others I liked:

"5 Ways to Improve My In-Flight Meal Service, From a Flight Attendant"

Carrie, do your job. You're paid to a do a job. Flight attendants are the only profession on earth where they expect the passengers to simplify their jobs. I'm not your maid. It's entitled, narcissistic articles like this that just further tarnish the once high standards of flight attendants.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 12:27 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Made you click!!!!

Old Jul 31, 2017, 9:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Few years ago I would want to check TPG daily at ~ 8.30 AM EST for the post of the day. Sunday Reader questions would provide some quick revision. I cant remember when the last useful article was published at TPG. The Prestige marketing going on now is super annoying - they even re-cycled an old article on it with all incorrect numbers.

When CSR came out It was equally sad to see the relentless push - I chose to sit out till November - so I can time myself for 3 statement credits for 1 fee.
Flexible Flyer likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by Acid
they even re-cycled an old article on it with all incorrect numbers.
Milevalue started that a few years ago as well...
Old Aug 1, 2017, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
There is nothing fundamentally wrong with recycling content. If you wrote something which is genuinely useful, and your readership is sharply up on the original publication date, do it. New readers aren't going to randomly start searching out old pieces.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles
There is nothing fundamentally wrong with recycling content. If you wrote something which is genuinely useful, and your readership is sharply up on the original publication date, do it. New readers aren't going to randomly start searching out old pieces.
I agree - by all means update the article - in this case the cards had changed. Prestige benefits were cut and platinum card had also changed since the original article which was comparing premium cards. It was just factually incorrect - with big banners to apply for Prestige all over.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 6:49 am

actually if people had questions about a card, they most certainly would search. TPG/Bankrate inc. spends a lot of money on search optimization. This is recycling content and pretending to be news as a means to sell a product.

Standard practice if old content is suddenly relevant and might be hard to find would be to include a header "This originally appeared on. ____. It is moved to the front because _____. Some of the facts are outdated."
Old Aug 1, 2017, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
'Search optimisation' is the 2017 equivalent of paying a shamen to dance to bring you rain. It has zero impact as long as you write and tag your content effectively.

I once consulted for a pennyless travel mag paying $6,000 a month for SEO stuff that I would expect an intern to know, although that mainly reflects on the quality of people in the company in the first place.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 5:11 pm

'Search optimisation' is the 2017 equivalent of paying a shamen to dance to bring you rain. It has zero impact as long as you write and tag your content effectively.

I once consulted for a pennyless travel mag paying $6,000 a month for SEO stuff that I would expect an intern to know, although that mainly reflects on the quality of people in the company in the first place.
Well Bankrate /TPG has plenty of interns.
I stand by the point that there is no reason to repost stuff months theory that readers won't search for it if its relevant to them. The only reason to repost garbage outdated content like here is because you're running out of things to say to deceptively market a financial product while purporting to provide objective information to consumers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.