Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Old Jun 7, 17, 8:54 am

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
I'd imagine his corporate overlord doesn't want him to disclose that. He's the face of the site, and I'm assuming BankRate would want to keep up that facade.
Old Jun 7, 17, 11:46 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by diburning View Post
I'd imagine his corporate overlord doesn't want him to disclose that. He's the face of the site, and I'm assuming BankRate would want to keep up that facade.
I understand why he's being deceptive-- that doesn't make it not deceptive.
Old Jun 7, 17, 3:34 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
https://thepointsguy.com/2017/06/qat...flight-review/

I can't tell if the reviewer is just that dumb, lying, or if he's dumbing it down for their dumb audience.

He wasn't sure how to transfer terminals... Wouldn't a normal traveler look this up ahead of time if they were connecting between airlines? He even admits to seeing the signs that says which buses go between terminals, yet still complains about it.

Most US airlines, especially American, who he flew in on, would have terminal maps on their mobile app as well as inflight magazine. Even if he didn't pick up on the fact that E is far away from B that he would have seen the map and realized that he could have cut through the central parking garage. He'd also see that Terminal C is right next to Terminal E, and is connected airside, so PreCheck would have been possible if he went through TSA at C.
That is puzzling. Even if I'd had a senior moment (can you have those yet at 43?) and just overlooked the obvious, it would be more helpful to readers to post tips like you mentioned.

Originally Posted by Adam1222 View Post
In his new 7 year anniversary post, kind of shameful/deceptive that he doesn't mention he sold the site to a credit card marketing company.
I guess it's like a couple who have been living a sham marriage of convenience for years but still put on a fancy anniversary party pretending that they're still in love, overlooking the cheating, the drug overdose and the time they took a 1 year "trial separation"?

TPG wasn't too bad in its early days, there were some occasionally helpful posts but it kinda veered off into shill territory pretty quick.
Old Jun 13, 17, 8:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
https://thepointsguy.com/2017/06/qat...flight-review/

I can't tell if the reviewer is just that dumb, lying, or if he's dumbing it down for their dumb audience.

He wasn't sure how to transfer terminals... Wouldn't a normal traveler look this up ahead of time if they were connecting between airlines? He even admits to seeing the signs that says which buses go between terminals, yet still complains about it.

Most US airlines, especially American, who he flew in on, would have terminal maps on their mobile app as well as inflight magazine. Even if he didn't pick up on the fact that E is far away from B that he would have seen the map and realized that he could have cut through the central parking garage. He'd also see that Terminal C is right next to Terminal E, and is connected airside, so PreCheck would have been possible if he went through TSA at C.
This one also puzzles me because he goes to the AF Lounge which Qatar has a deal with (so they direct people there) but seems to overlook the fact that his QR J ticket could get him into the BA lounge he raves about.
Old Jun 13, 17, 10:44 pm

Does QR or BA actively discourage it? I've witnessed the same thing at IAD. The AF lounge had a lamp and a sign on the counter welcoming QR customers, yet the BA lounge was next door, and I thought that was odd at the time considering QR and BA are in the same alliance.
Old Jun 15, 17, 5:58 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by exoticfusion View Post
Seriously? https://thepointsguy.com/2017/05/fir...it-card-draft/.That whole site is so vapid and full of junk content.
That's horrendous.
Old Jun 15, 17, 7:28 am

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Does QR or BA actively discourage it? I've witnessed the same thing at IAD. The AF lounge had a lamp and a sign on the counter welcoming QR customers, yet the BA lounge was next door, and I thought that was odd at the time considering QR and BA are in the same alliance.
It must be a reimbursement issue - QR paying less to use a non-OW partner lounge (like AF) than they have to pay to reimburse BA for visitors.

They of course can't prevent people in the know from visiting but they can try and limit by directing people elsewhere.
Old Jun 15, 17, 3:22 pm

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/06/air...flight-review/

I like how his own loyal readers are calling him out in the comments on how his review lacked content.
Old Jun 20, 17, 3:36 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN**
If they are paying editors to do his work then they better pay them very little. No clean up of the pictures, and the exif data reveals he is using a pretty expensive Olympus E-M5 mkII rather incorrectly making the pictures look worse than the iphone he used previously.
Old Jun 21, 17, 12:14 pm

The spelling and grammar errors seem to suggest that the editors aren't paid at all
Old Jun 21, 17, 5:59 pm
Community Director

Quite the kudo from Forbes for thepointsguy.

Forbes Top Influencers: The Points Guy, Brian Kelly, On Turning Miles Into A Media Empire

Brian “The Points Guy” Kelly (No. 1 in Travel) — The 34-year-old New Yorker has mastered the credit card points and frequent flyer mile systems. His following is such that Chase hired him to launch its newest card, paying upwards of seven figures for the campaign. Kelly is using his fame to advocate for life-saving causes. He has donated hundreds of thousands of air miles to Rainbow Railroad, helping to rescue LGBT people from places where their lives are at risk, most recently Chechnya.

I have high respect for what he has accomplished. He has done an amazing job of building a passion for points and miles into a company that employs 20, has 50 additional contributors, and an office infused with witty references to travel in New York City.
Old Jun 21, 17, 8:02 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
. His following is such that Chase hired him to launch its newest card, paying upwards of seven figures for the campaign.
Has this been prominently disclosed on the website? It's so hard to distinguish which company Brian is working for when he acts these days, Bankrate, Chase, etc. Perhaps some good will come out of this article and realize that nothing on the site is based on an impartial desire to aid consumers, but rather just to make Brian and Bankrate wealthy.

While you say he has built a company out of a passion for points, not quite accurate. He built a brand; Bankrate is the company. The company is built off of unsophisticated customers, over-leveraged American consumers, and an under-regulated market.
Old Jun 22, 17, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Whilst the US market is pathetically underregulated (I am the only UK miles blogger licenced by the Government to write about credit cards), at least Bankrate makes sure everything is done to a decent level of compliance. That is more than you can say for many other sites.
Old Jun 22, 17, 4:55 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
... at least Bankrate makes sure everything is done to a decent level of compliance. That is more than you can say for many other sites.
Compliance is BS! They go out of their way to make sure I do not tell readers how to click on my links while they allow the big boys to sell away in each post. One time they had an issue with my post because I had the word "vagina" in a headline.

Can anyone guess the next place Brian Kelly goes to promote his merchandise? What else will he make his staff do after requiring them to open their wallets and pose with credit cards like Emily at MMS does...

Sad
Old Jun 22, 17, 5:30 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN**
Originally Posted by Adam1222 View Post
The company is built off of unsophisticated customers, over-leveraged American consumers, and an under-regulated market.
Which is true for substantial segments of the US economy, that made/makes it so 'great'

Search this Thread