Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Old Jun 9, 2016, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
It has already been proven that businesses purchase fake likes... so not that ridiculous. Some of the top companies and celebrities have been caught on Instagram/Twitter with fake followers and have lost up to 90% of their followers after the fakes were cleaned out.
Yes, business do (those on the bottom of the totem pole) and that is not ridiculous. Top companies buying fake likes is ridiculous. Name top business that do please.

Celebrities really to support your position

Several have pointed out that the points guy may be doing this for status. Also, he has a staff working for the website. Who knows.. maybe an intern or someone at bankrate purchased the fake likes and they can't clean them out?
Grasping straws. Next theory...

First you are saying he didn't pay for Facbook likes, now you are saying he did?? How do FB likes significantly get you more app clicks.
I think you know I meant he didn't pay for fake farmed likes. He did pay for FB ads resulting in likes.

Do you use FB? Ever liked a page? I bet at least half of the TPG.com traffic originates from FB.

You are really flip-flopping now.
Nope I'm not. No need to take my statement to a different poster out of context to support your position.

In any case...I applaud TPG for a very successful 6 years.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers
Yes, business do (those on the bottom of the totem pole) and that is not ridiculous. Top companies buying fake likes is ridiculous. Name top business that do please.

Celebrities really to support your position
http://www.cnet.com/news/who-lost-mo...nce-or-bieber/

Do you use FB? Ever liked a page? I bet at least half of the TPG.com traffic originates from FB.
I'm backing my statements up with actual data. The numbers I pulled are from the waybackmachine.com

You're just making fanboy statements. I bet this I bet that... wanting other people to prove your point. You bet at least half of TPG.com traffic comes from Facebook? Prove it!

Nope I'm not. No need to take my statement to a different poster out of context to support your position.
Is this not your quote below here you concede that maybe his likes are fake?

You may be right, I don't know when TPG got the 1M likes...does it matter? I am NOT assuming he is the leader because he has 1M likes. Maybe his likes are fake and FB reduces the likes by 99% or simply ignore all his FB likes, is he still not the leader? I can go buy 2M likes without a single blog post...am I now the P&M leader now?
If your opinion is that it would be ridiculous for someone like TPG to buy likes... I completely agree. If your opinion that the idea that TPG buying likes for Facebook is rediculous... I disagree. If he is willing to buy adverts for his YouTube videos in order to make him look like a successful TV host and not provide any links on his videos where he can monetize them... then I don't think it's ridiculous that he's buy likes on Facebook. If you have larger numbers on social media could you not then charge more to make a sponsored post for a company?? Here's another thought... JetBlue paid TPG to promote their company via his YouTube Channel. The only way he can get people to watch his videos on YouTube is through paid adverts on Youtube. So he is technically paying someone to promote his channel so he has enough viewers to promote a product so he can get paid (yes this hurts my head as well).

Isn't TV advertising based upon sweeps week where networks try to get as many people to view their shows in order to get the most money for ad slots? Could this not be the case for TPG social media outlets? The more traffic to his website and the more successful his social media outlets are the more he can charge to promote or endorse a product?
If you are going to make your argument base it on something and not your emotion. The fact that you've already flip flopped tells me your argument has little to no value here.

Last edited by Astrophsx; Jun 9, 2016 at 4:36 pm
Old Jun 9, 2016, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Meh. They're likely mostly purchased likes, just like the videos views are, but who cares?
They've probably run the numbers and decided the ROI and/or 1MM bragging rights made it worth the purchase price.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 5:28 pm

Beiber, Beyonce??? Where's the top companies purchasing farm likes?

I'm backing my statements up with actual data. The numbers I pulled are from the waybackmachine.com
I didn't question his past like counts that you posted.

You're just making fanboy statements. I bet this I bet that... wanting other people to prove your point. You bet at least half of TPG.com traffic comes from Facebook? Prove it!
Can't, just like you're unable to prove that he purchased farmed likes.

Where/how do you think people land on TPG.com for an app? YouTube, T&L, Twitter, mainstream media? Facebook has the largest reach. Farm FB likes has NO reach.

Is this not your quote below here you concede that maybe his likes are fake?
I stated (emphasis added):

"You may be right, I don't know when TPG got the 1M likes.."

in response to:

"Who said when TPG got the 1 million likes? I have a hunch that if you track them there would be a large spike shortly after he sold out to Bankrate." said by another poster.

And when I stated: "I am NOT assuming he is the leader because he has 1M likes. Maybe his likes are fake and FB reduces the likes by 99% or simply ignore all his FB likes, is he still not the leader? I can go buy 2M likes without a single blog post...am I now the P&M leader now?" was simply rhetoric about another poster's claim that greatest number of FB equates to the leader.

So how do I flip flop?

If your opinion is that it would be ridiculous for someone like TPG to buy likes... I completely agree. If your opinion that the idea that TPG buying likes for Facebook is rediculous... I disagree.
No worries, we disagree.

If he is willing to buy adverts for his YouTube videos in order to make him look like a successful TV host and not provide any links on his videos where he can monetize them... then I don't think it's ridiculous that he's buy likes on Facebook.
Again, we can disagree here. He monetizes YT videos by emotion...people watch, want that lifestyle, making their way to TPG.com and then an app. By design, that video viewed by someone led to an app...job done.

I don't think people behave the same with an (artificial) inflated FB likes.

If you have larger numbers on social media could you not then charge more to make a sponsored post for a company?? Here's another thought... JetBlue paid TPG to promote their company via his YouTube Channel. The only way he can get people to watch his videos on YouTube is through paid adverts on Youtube. So he is technically paying someone to promote his channel so he has enough viewers to promote a product so he can get paid (yes this hurts my head as well).

Isn't TV advertising based upon sweeps week where networks try to get as many people to view their shows in order to get the most money for ad slots? Could this not be the case for TPG social media outlets? The more traffic to his website and the more successful his social media outlets are the more he can charge to promote or endorse a product?

I completely agree. Paid advertising on all social outlets is good....more traffic/views is desirable.

Farmed likes do not draw more viewers...they're fake, remember?. I suppose you can take the position that a FB page with 1M (fake) likes generates more traffic than say a FB page 100k organic likes but I think that's a stretch.

If you are going to make your argument base it on something and not your emotion. The fact that you've already flip flopped tells me your argument has little to no value here.
No sir or ma'am, no emotion here. I'm starting to think you don't the know the difference btw a fake like and a real like.

Last edited by Troopers; Jun 9, 2016 at 5:47 pm
Old Jun 9, 2016, 5:56 pm

He monetizes YT videos by emotion....
LOL

It's getting painful to read your responses. I've gotta learn to stop feeding the trolls.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 6:16 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Dear Mods, I am not sure if this should have its own thread or not, so for now I have just put it in here with the points guy thread.

I received, at first, what seemed like a routine call from Amex today, and honestly for a minute, I thought he was going to say I had some kind of breach, and thoughts of how could this have happened were running thru my head. The caller stated he was with a group affiliated with American Express and was calling to judge my interest in getting the Amex Centurion Card. Oh, ok that is a relief! Now, I am thinking wow Amex is getting aggressive, and apparently what I have been doing fits the right profile. He said judging from my spending and travel patterns he thought I would be a good fit for this card and then he went into great detail for a few minutes about all the card's benefits (still sounding pretty legit although I never had amex pitch me anything out of the blue) and how exclusive the Centurion Card was. Ok, sounding pretty reasonable so far, and sounding like he access to my account right? I thought I do put a lot of spend on this, and I travel a lot. He knew I was an account holder with Amex but then asked a few questions that set alarm bells off.

At first the questions seemed in line with what an a person from amex might say, like what did i like most about my current card benefits, and things like that, but then he asked which amex I had?

WAIT. A. SECOND.
WHAT???

I then said I had to go, but he said he would offer me 100k amex points if I would just allow him to call me back later in the day or tomorrow and let him pitch it again. He then asked asked for my email address, or home address if i wanted he would expeidte it, and send me the particulars on this card. Another big alarm bell, and ANY doubt this was any way legit gone-if you are with amex you have my email and home address. At this point I knew this was a scammer or something similar and I just toyed with him a little. I sure was not going to give any info to him, but I wanted to see where it would go so I could report it to the real Amex. So I queried him and said you are going to give me points just for talking to me again? Oh, well, umm, yes! If you get approved for the card and met the spend. I see

I told him I would look at the card's website's since I had not really considered it before but was very happy with the amex I had, as well as being very happy with the customer service I have received from Amex over the years, so maybe I should look at it when I had more time to get all the relevant fine print details before tomorrow when he said would call me back and hopefully I would see the benefit and want to apply then. Now comes the kicker! He said: Oh yes! Please you should research it and then you will see how great this card is just GO TO THE POINTS GUY WEBSITE and read all the rave reviews there!

This is just wrong. He clearly wanted me to think he was associated with Amex (which technically i guess they are in a way) and his statements like "customers like you are who we think this card is geared for because of the spend you do each year and I see you have great credit score". Very clever, he knows I have an Amex and made a very logical correlation that I have good credit and spend. Now I am wondering what to do about him and how he got my phone number (which is unlisted). I probably need to report this to Amex but I also wanted to get you guys take and ask if anyone has had this happen to them? I fully expect him to call me back tomorrow like he said. Not sure if I should confront him or just not answer?

Last edited by 1readyset2go; Jun 9, 2016 at 7:16 pm
Old Jun 9, 2016, 6:32 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
I think 1readyset2go just made my blog ^

This is VERY disturbing. Wow! I am speechless!

I also think Troopers is an intern for TPG, Inc
Old Jun 9, 2016, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by 1readyset2go
He then asked asked for my email address
Feel free to use mine: [email protected]

Originally Posted by 1readyset2go
or home address
Again, feel free to use mine:

601 4th St NW, Washington, DC 20535

Tell your friends too!

(Disclaimer: I do not work for the FBI)
Old Jun 9, 2016, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by gpapadop
I also think Troopers is an intern for TPG, Inc
You're right, I am an intern.

Get this...I bought 1M Facebook through this farm in India. Can you believe it, one freakin million likes?!!! Who's got that...nobody. Oh yea, oh yea. I was feeling good, patting myself on the back, strutting through the office like I owned it. Indeed, we here at TPG are the leader. Until I realized the 1M likes were fake and produced absolutely nothing...duh! At least we were in the same company with Bieber and Beyonce, yea baby.

Lol.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I haven't really got the time, but if anyone wants to look up the FB like count for 5-6 top bloggers so we can see which numbers might be a little 'off' .....
Old Jun 10, 2016, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I bet at least half of the TPG.com traffic originates from FB.
I will take that bet. With large sums of cash.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
I haven't really got the time, but if anyone wants to look up the FB like count for 5-6 top bloggers so we can see which numbers might be a little 'off' .....
Who are the top 5-6?

Originally Posted by sbm12
I will take that bet. With large sums of cash.
Where do you think TPG traffic/app clicks originate from?
Old Jun 10, 2016, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I'll tell you myself based on HfP.

Yesterday, by page views, 15% Google, 3% FB and Twitter combined, almost all of the rest organic from regular visitors.

Some of the Google is people too lazy to type .com into the browser bar!
Old Jun 10, 2016, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

there are scammers quoting bloggers now???

search the phone number and ask TPG about it ?

I'll tell you myself based on HfP.

Yesterday, by page views, 15% Google, 3% FB and Twitter combined, almost all of the rest organic from regular visitors.

interesting as always
Old Jun 10, 2016, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
I'm guilty of that often .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.