Reload this Page >

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2016, 6:20 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Edgerfly
And if this is true- that he paid, then bloggers make obscene amounts of money that would really be unbelievable.
Dude, if you are not joking,..really?
Old Apr 19, 2016, 7:44 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by Edgerfly
How would you know this unless you were his talent agent. The YouTube video sure seems like it is staged.

How do yu know this unless your his accountant and know his financials. And if this is true- that he paid, then bloggers make obscene amounts of money that would really be unbelievable.
Because he said he paid.
And he says he makes obscene amounts of money and that's true as well. I've seen it firsthand from inside sources, ya'll have no idea...
Without a doubt he played the points blogging game better than anyone.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Because he said he paid.
And he says he makes obscene amounts of money and that's true as well. I've seen it firsthand from inside sources, ya'll have no idea...
Without a doubt he played the points blogging game better than anyone.
Could also argue that unlike many of the other bloggers, he sold the blog at the right time. I'm sure Bankrate paid him some good money for the blog, they're big enough that they probably aren't doing five-figure, or probably even low-mid six-figure, deals.

I've also personally found him to be a bit more upfront about the whole business side of all of this than most of the other bloggers, who are trying much harder just to act like they are your friend while they shove CSP links in your face.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 4:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Thanks, this is stuff I didn't know.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Could also argue that unlike many of the other bloggers, he sold the blog at the right time. I'm sure Bankrate paid him some good money for the blog, they're big enough that they probably aren't doing five-figure, or probably even low-mid six-figure, deals.

I've also personally found him to be a bit more upfront about the whole business side of all of this than most of the other bloggers, who are trying much harder just to act like they are your friend while they shove CSP links in your face.
$15m is the number banded about in industry circles, which feels about right.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 6:37 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Just want to remind everyone that money does not buy happiness
Old Apr 19, 2016, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by gpapadop
But arguably, it's better to be stinking rich and miserable than dirt poor and miserable
Old Apr 19, 2016, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
I always say "Money doesn't buy happiness, but it sure gives you many more opportunities to .... up along the way towards finding it!"
Old Apr 20, 2016, 7:44 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Said no rich person ever.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 9:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
"Money doesn't buy happiness...that phrase should end with 'just kidding'. It buys a waverunner. Ever seen someone look unhappy on a waverunner? It's impossible." -Daniel Tosh
Old Apr 20, 2016, 1:44 pm

So in keeping with TPG "policy" that they never accept free flights or hotels he paid "out of pocket" so he could get the miles and points.

This video is clearly a commercial for JetBlue. The video seems to utilize staged situations (perhaps content provided by JetBlue) and access to planes not even flown by Brian Kelly.

His disclosure:
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.

Wonder if he is forgetting to disclose anything else..
Old Apr 20, 2016, 5:51 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Astrophsx

So in keeping with TPG "policy" that they never accept free flights or hotels he paid "out of pocket" so he could get the miles and points.

This video is clearly a commercial for JetBlue. The video seems to utilize staged situations (perhaps content provided by JetBlue) and access to planes not even flown by Brian Kelly.

His disclosure:
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.

Wonder if he is forgetting to disclose anything else..
The production values on that JetBlue commerical were quite high. But I got bored about 3 minutes in. I guess there is a reason that commercials are 30 or 60 seconds...
Old Apr 21, 2016, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Wow: "since I run a credit card website and I got this card to write about, this is a business expense"

So much to unpack there.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Also no funny story, no panche.

(I still remember Ben's really well done story about pulling out a Royal Ambassador card (or at least the status) at, if I recall correctly, the lowly LGA Holiday Inn; nothing like that here. And let me be blunt: if I were doing this, I could write up true-to-life tales that I could dine out on for years. More simply stated, how can anything so intrinsically interesting be made to sound so dull? You almost have have to WORK at being dull.)
Old Apr 22, 2016, 5:40 am

I don't think we have the whole/true story on the Centurion Card Caper. His "explanation" post sounds very defensive (and lame). He seems to be throwing a lot of money around right now, like someone who won the lottery or hit it big in Vegas. Easy come, easy go, if he isn't careful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.