Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Old Mar 15, 22, 5:38 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ctownflyer View Post
With all due respect to your steelworker dad, I'm guessing he had a 9-5 job with a good work-life balance. That's not to take away from the back-breaking work, but it means that he can mentally check out after hours.

Most bloggers are on call 24/7 and have a terrible work-life balance. It's something I've struggled with mightily for decades behind the screen and I know others do as well. So it doesnt surprise me that ex-bloggers sleep better and have less anxiety and stress after leaving the field.
I think we can all agree that different kinds of jobs have different kinds of stressors, but it seems a bit tone deaf to say the least to suggest well-paid people who work for large financial services companies from their laptops, in jobs with no consequences for the life and death of others, and with no worker safety concerns (beyond the risk of sexual harassment), have harder jobs than the majority of working people.

Jobs are hard and stressful. That's what makes them jobs. Anyone who can make a living off of blogging about travel really should not be suggesting it is harder than other jobs because it's not 9 to 5. (And no, most manual labor jobs in America are not 9 to 5 either). To suggest blogging somehow weighs on the psyches of bloggers more than other people think about their work is extremely elitist and privileged.
HarbourGent and SightseeMC like this.
Old Mar 15, 22, 7:24 pm

I think this topic has reached its conclusion.
Old Mar 18, 22, 8:50 am

northstar22 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 22, 8:55 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN**
No mention of why he quit TPG though...

Old Mar 18, 22, 9:21 am

When did it become the norm to announce every and all resignation publicly, as if it's some major news anchor jumping ship? Twitter is the worst.
Old Mar 18, 22, 9:49 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by pstm91 View Post
When did it become the norm to announce every and all resignation publicly, as if it's some major news anchor jumping ship? Twitter is the worst.
Some people use social media to keep their friends and acquaintances updated on what's going on in their lives. Wild, I know.
onetouchpass likes this.
Old Mar 18, 22, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Adam1222 View Post
Some people use social media to keep their friends and acquaintances updated on what's going on in their lives. Wild, I know.
I typically agree with your posts, but not in this case. Read through that entire thread and tell me that's just a personal life update to inform family and friends. Not a chance. That is a "look at me" post for the world to see. Friends, acquaintances, and family don't need to be told "my DMs are open," and I always cringe at people tagging their employers, bosses, etc. in these types of posts. Maybe I'm old school, I don't know, but these attention grabbing posts are bizarre to me. Just move on - friends and family will find out when you, you know, talk to them or just update your Linkedin.
hugolover likes this.
Old Mar 18, 22, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by pstm91 View Post
I typically agree with your posts, but not in this case. Read through that entire thread and tell me that's just a personal life update to inform family and friends. Not a chance. That is a "look at me" post for the world to see. Friends, acquaintances, and family don't need to be told "my DMs are open," and I always cringe at people tagging their employers, bosses, etc. in these types of posts. Maybe I'm old school, I don't know, but these attention grabbing posts are bizarre to me. Just move on - friends and family will find out when you, you know, talk to them or just update your Linkedin.
Sounds to me like your problem is with social media generally. Since I've been on Facebook in it's earliest days, almost 20 years, people have used social media to share news of career changes.
Old Mar 18, 22, 11:19 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), AAdvantage Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
The great resignation from TPG is the funniest thing I've seen in a while. Wonder how long this can keep going?
Old Mar 18, 22, 11:52 am

Gotta love this one:

"But my tenure at TPG, like for many of my former colleagues, had run its course."

Ouch
Old Mar 18, 22, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222 View Post
Sounds to me like your problem is with social media generally. Since I've been on Facebook in it's earliest days, almost 20 years, people have used social media to share news of career changes.
Absolutely, and I'm not arguing against that. I'm saying this particular post, and the many like it from all of the recent TPG "retirees" are not simple life updates. They are posts seeking attention and to gain "followers." Look no further than the post directly above (which, if I'm being honest, is kind of hilarious).
Old Mar 18, 22, 4:45 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN**
i dissected a variety of topics: Personal finance, loyalty programs, hotels and airlines, and travel advice during the pandemic. It was challenging yet meaningful work.
🤦🏽🤭
hugolover likes this.
Old Mar 18, 22, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
i dissected a variety of topics: Personal finance, loyalty programs, hotels and airlines, and travel advice during the pandemic. It was challenging yet meaningful work
🤦🏽🤭

Start at 1:02

David
Old Mar 19, 22, 3:58 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Posting stuff like this on Twitter is primarily a networking move "DM's are open". Nothing to do with "gain followers" etc. It is just another feature of how life has changed...

I had no idea writing to sell credit cards is a profession smh.
Old Mar 19, 22, 6:36 am

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Originally Posted by josephstern View Post
Gotta love this one:

https://twitter.com/thechrisflyer/st...26794876227590

"But my tenure at TPG, like for many of my former colleagues, had run its course."

Ouch
I'm sure he's still making decent money with his Boarding Area blog. He passed that to a friend while he was at TPG, but I think he still owns it (Point Me To The Plane)

Search this Thread