Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2021, 6:50 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
I don't know if TPG has a toxic workplace. I would assume it probably does given recent publicity, but I cannot judge because I've never worked there. Unless you've worked there, then you aren't qualified to judge, either.

If you want to jump on a bandwagon to condemn TPG (or whatever social cause) despite a complete lack of direct experience, then that's your choice, but don't claim moral superiority as you do it.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 6:56 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by TBD
I don't know if TPG has a toxic workplace. I would assume it probably does given recent publicity, but I cannot judge because I've never worked there. Unless you've worked there, then you aren't qualified to judge, either.

If you want to jump on a bandwagon to condemn TPG (or whatever social cause) despite a complete lack of direct experience, then that's your choice, but don't claim moral superiority as you do it.
I'm not sure what you're talking about.
I said that it was wrong to call someone who has "direct experience" and commented on it a "whiner." It seems like you have frustrations that have nothing to do with the actual topic at hand.
​​​​​
I am quite content with my morally superiority in that it is awful to call those who share their own experiences whiners. Which, again, is what the discussion is about, not what seems to me some broader objection you have to "social causes".**

**Ironically, the sentiment that you can't believe people who complain about unlawful or just not-nice behavior and that those people are whiners and bringing up random (incorrect, irrelevant) invocations of the founding fathers is itself attributed to a cause/movement.

​​​​​

Last edited by Adam1222; Oct 27, 2021 at 7:04 am
Old Oct 27, 2021, 7:03 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
My past two replies are very clearly directed at your overreaction to someone saying that there are more sides to every story.
If you think that's off topic, then feel free to delete your posts.

ETA: I was not responding to Zach Honig's post - he did work there. That should be obvious.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by TBD
My past two replies are very clearly directed at your overreaction to someone saying that there are more sides to every story.
If you think that's off topic, then feel free to delete your posts.
I'm good thanks. I stand by my comments, which were responding to someone stating

Passive aggressive. Should have kept his mouth shut. What a whiner
Who, when called out on it, defended it by making the non sequitur statement that there are "three sides to every story."

[redacted]
​​​
​​​​​​

Last edited by oliver2002; Oct 27, 2021 at 7:29 am Reason: lets not get personal
Old Oct 27, 2021, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
So very cold here in Snowflake Land. My feelings are so hurt. So very toxic.

Precisely what experiences did Zach share again? Some vague reference to bad work experience after he shared that TPG was the cat's meow? Could Zach be a toxic ee? Yep. Could TPG stink as an employer? Yep. Could Zach most likely have known that in advance of selling out? Yep. Vague passive aggressive innuendo is not standing up for anything...it's, well, whiney.

I think a moral responsibility is to not throw in with the first person that presents confirmation bias.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 7:11 pm

By referring to "snowflake land," after calling people "whiney," it seems very clear what you actually think of people who speak out about abusive working conditions. Well just have to agree to disagree which side of that debate is morally superior.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 2:31 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Anyone who stays at a job that doesn't make them happy - much less that makes them miserable or lose sleep - is a fool. Particularly in today's job market.

But sometimes the frog gets boiled slowly and that person doesn't realize how unhappy they really are. To me, that's who Zach was addressing. And that's a valuable message to those boiling frogs.

What it says about TPG is left to the imagination. Was it a poor fit? Is TPG a toxic workplace? Both? Neither?
gpapadop and rhysflies like this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
It's bizarre. I can understand why, say, a restaurant kitchen could turn toxic - the heat, the pressure to get a table of different orders out at the same time etc etc. This is also an environment with relatively low pay and terrible working hours in a sector which is generally not very profitable.

TPG will be running on profit margins of 90%+. (Head for Points hit 97% one year, before I started hiring staff and paying for an office and even now with a team of three and a City of London office the margins are very high.) It churns out a relatively small amount of content vs the number of staff (look at what OMAAT puts out each day in comparison). It should be the world's most laid back office, as ours is.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Anyone who stays at a job that doesn't make them happy - much less that makes them miserable or lose sleep - is a fool. Particularly in today's job market.
This seems a massive overgeneralization that does not reflect reality. (There is no single "job market", even today.). Whether Zach could have/should have left earlier and spoken up earlier about his experience rather than pushing the TPG Kool-aid is a different question though. I think several responses in this thread show why he wouldn't. "You're a whiner; you get to fly first class for a living, yet you're complaining about (being screamed at, being pushed to mislead audiences to make money, whatever)" would likely have been the response then. Can't win.
rhysflies likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 7:47 am

Programs: BA/VS Gold
This might entertain some here....Brian Kelly is buying his way into EU citizenship with a cool 350,000 euro investment!

https://thepointsguy.co.uk/guide/my-...u-citizenship/
Old Oct 28, 2021, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rhysflies
This might entertain some here....Brian Kelly is buying his way into EU citizenship with a cool 350,000 euro investment!

After all: ‘I feel Europeans have a better work and life balance and enjoy family and community more than we do in the U.S.’

If only Brian was in a position where he could do something to improve the work/life balance of American’s ….
gmt4 likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 9:07 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Raffles
It's bizarre. I can understand why, say, a restaurant kitchen could turn toxic - the heat, the pressure to get a table of different orders out at the same time etc etc. This is also an environment with relatively low pay and terrible working hours in a sector which is generally not very profitable.

TPG will be running on profit margins of 90%+. (Head for Points hit 97% one year, before I started hiring staff and paying for an office and even now with a team of three and a City of London office the margins are very high.) It churns out a relatively small amount of content vs the number of staff (look at what OMAAT puts out each day in comparison). It should be the world's most laid back office, as ours is.
You can find toxic environments/toxic bosses in just about any environment. Zach is correct: there is no reason in the world to stay in them.

Originally Posted by Adam1222
This seems a massive overgeneralization that does not reflect reality. (There is no single "job market", even today.). Whether Zach could have/should have left earlier and spoken up earlier about his experience rather than pushing the TPG Kool-aid is a different question though. I think several responses in this thread show why he wouldn't. "You're a whiner; you get to fly first class for a living, yet you're complaining about (being screamed at, being pushed to mislead audiences to make money, whatever)" would likely have been the response then. Can't win.
I had a toxic boss early in my career. Like Zach I didn't really understand just how toxic it was until I left. I thought it was 'normal.' It happens. Zach's advice is sound.

Originally Posted by rhysflies

My wife and I are looking into that. It's a pretty sweet deal to get rid of 'Schengen Days.'
Old Oct 28, 2021, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
After all: ‘I feel Europeans have a better work and life balance and enjoy family and community more than we do in the U.S.’

If only Brian was in a position where he could do something to improve the work/life balance of American’s ….
Indeed. Sadly the irony of that statement is lost on him. But hey- "Himself" cashed out already and is fine. The most disappointing part is he didn't mention he's a Business Centurion card holder and didn't shill for any credit cards. Just a small brag he has two US passports. Himself must be slipping as he dreams of that 3%.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kokonutz
My wife and I are looking into that. It's a pretty sweet deal to get rid of 'Schengen Days.'
Amusingly, I may have to do the same. I have a German wife and two half-German kids, but thanks to the joys of Brexit I can't actually live in Europe now if I was doing any work.

My kids are luck f***ers, being two of very few British school kids who retain the right to live and work in the EU when they grow up.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 9:19 am

If you have 350,000 laying around, you can have a pretty good work/life balance wherever you live if you so desire.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.