Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2020, 12:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by oliver2002
TPG is not even a 'blogger', it never even pretended to be. Their owner Red Ventures openly calls itself a 'performance marketing partner': https://redventures.com/what-we-do.html
TPG very much so started out as a blog. It was someone writing opinion and posting it that morphed into a way to fund his travel habits. Eventually it took on whatever form they are now. That said, I spoke in broad terms in my post.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by gmt4
TPG very much so started out as a blog. It was someone writing opinion and posting it that morphed into a way to fund his travel habits. Eventually it took on whatever form they are now. That said, I spoke in broad terms in my post.
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but hasn't Brian Kelly said multiple times that from the very beginning the sole purpose of starting the blog was to make money? Not exactly him doing it as a hobby and having it morph into a way to fund his travel habit.
sbm12 and Xyzzy like this.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 8:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but hasn't Brian Kelly said multiple times that from the very beginning the sole purpose of starting the blog was to make money? Not exactly him doing it as a hobby and having it morph into a way to fund his travel habit.
Yes. And explicitly through CC affiliate conversions.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 8:18 am

Programs: bits of shiny plastic w/ varied utility
Not exactly him doing it as a hobby and having it morph into a way to fund his travel habit.
or any other "habit" ...
Old Nov 8, 2020, 8:38 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by sbm12
Yes. And explicitly through CC affiliate conversions.
Also, although he is often referred to as someone who worked in finance, he worked in HR/recruiting--not as financially lucrative as what is insinuated.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 12:11 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Finally... He is one of the good writers who shouldn't Have gone to TPG in the first place!

Old Nov 21, 2020, 4:34 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
What? He would not wanna write about mortgages?
Old Nov 21, 2020, 5:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
That's my understanding. And while I don't really read his blog (well, the company's since he sold it) blog anymore, I'm still a bit confused on why everyone is against those (and not just Brian) who create blogs for profit. Others, including the founder of this IBB, have done the same.

Brian built it up & sold it for millions if I'm remembering correctly. So on that point well done him. He wasn't stupid. Am I reading the blog or following him when he's now trying to jump into the celebrity lifestyle. No.

I've never understood the hate for bloggers, but in fairness I don't follow them that much (any of them). And while they cull info from FT, we're not the only source on the block for info.

Cheers.
NBwoodstock likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
That's my understanding. And while I don't really read his blog (well, the company's since he sold it) blog anymore, I'm still a bit confused on why everyone is against those (and not just Brian) who create blogs for profit. Others, including the founder of this IBB, have done the same.

Brian built it up & sold it for millions if I'm remembering correctly. So on that point well done him. He wasn't stupid. Am I reading the blog or following him when he's now trying to jump into the celebrity lifestyle. No.

I've never understood the hate for bloggers, but in fairness I don't follow them that much (any of them). And while they cull info from FT, we're not the only source on the block for info.

Cheers.
One can have problems with deceptive consumer practices even if they aren't personally deceived.
Xyzzy and 24.05.2004 like this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 9:47 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
TPG got the lead for a nice NYT Magazine article: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/05/m...l-rewards.html

Liked this quote:
Kelly admits these travel hackers are not his target audience. “I don’t want to have to go around to 10 different Targets to buy different gift cards to get points,” he says. “People called me a sellout in the beginning, like, ‘Oh, you’re just doing this for the masses.’ And yeah — I am. That’s the point.” He didn’t start The Points Guy to keep his deals a secret. “That was a business decision early on, and that’s why I think we’ve been able to grow it. We are very open about the fact that we have to make money. I have 100 employees. I can’t pay their salaries in Amex points.”
FTU, Randy et al also get honorable mentions.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 10:03 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
It was a business decision early on and, well, always

Funny how all the Chase business cards glorious "articles" pumping them just vanished when Chase withdrew the affiliate links from all channels. It is like they did not exist at all. Of course TPG would not send them to the bank because, hey, who is going to pay the 100 employees....

All the traveling during the pandemic, always selling the brand... just sad all around. I guess I am not getting an invitation to the Hamptons, always wanted to score some free cocaine lol.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Wow. Talk about a non-sequitur, stream of consciousness article. Is that supposed to pass as journalism these days? "Kelly's office was spacious and clean, appearing mostly ceremonial." So profound. Whoever wrote that would fit right in with the amateur bloggers who create TPG content. Business must really be down in the toilet if a NYT piece is needed to advertise.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
The bit about Randy was nice ... but nthing new.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
TPG got the lead for a nice NYT Magazine article: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/05/m...l-rewards.html

Liked this quote:

FTU, Randy et al also get honorable mentions.
I actually think his discussion of traveling during covid makes him look even more morally repugnant than his business model does alone.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by gmt4
Wow. Talk about a non-sequitur, stream of consciousness article. Is that supposed to pass as journalism these days? "Kelly's office was spacious and clean, appearing mostly ceremonial." So profound. Whoever wrote that would fit right in with the amateur bloggers who create TPG content. Business must really be down in the toilet if a NYT piece is needed to advertise.
Maybe it was a job interview for her

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.